• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wht drill presses are you running?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I sorta fried a drill press ive been using for years(1989 sears version?), in a bind, I went to HF and got a cheapo for 50$. man it sucks bad.

whats happening, is I am used to a fresh 1/2" bit -same bits, I buy multiples frequently so they are always in good shape- opening up a hole with ease with the old drill press,, and this hardbor freight one just sticks . I have the RRMS around 760. Drilling the pilot holes through some 1/4" plate went through no problem (1/8" bits) at 1680 RPMs with the new one, dropped in the 1/2" (brand new) bits and the things just jam up, like when the darn thing just sits there not moving. I am using oil to lube, quite alot. I knew the HF would suck bad, just not this much with fresh bits...

ive been using my crappy hand drills lately. they punch right through it with the same bits.

I need to buy another drill press, any ideas for something that isnt too expensive?

I am looking at used 1/2 HP deltas right now on CL. that seems like a good way to go.

Last edited:
What's the model number on your HF press?

its the cheapest one, lowest of the low. I still thought it would drill through metal with a fresh bit. I havent even tried using 5/8" + bits on it. ill have to check. grabbed it in a bind on saturday morning. thing sucks.

I love my crafstman drill press. don't get a benchtop one they don't go slow enough..

remember when drilling steel, the slower the better. it will cut better and save your bits.

Ok, I was just curious. They had 3 different base models, one had great reviews the others had crap reviews.

hmm . Maybe ill have to read some reviews. Ill look into that. Its the cheapo 49$ one(actually 99$ normally, had a coupon for 49$)

I love my crafstman drill press. don't get a benchtop one they don't go slow enough..

remember when drilling steel, the slower the better. it will cut better and save your bits.

good to know. I am looking at a 1.2 HP stand alone delta off craigslist right now.

Ya id prefer lower RPMS if at all possible, but that only seems to come with the more expensive ones.

Delta 3/4 hp floor model. Just got done drilling new lug bolt holes in a set of rotors. no problems.

Don.

I'm only using new bits. I have ao many new bits its almost rediculous. So as long as I keep it under a 1/2 bit it drills fine. I'm using my heavy duty low speed drill for now to go 1/2 to 3/4. I plan on going 3/4 hp or bigger stand one delta from Craigslist

I can also go crazy slow with the hight torque low speed hand drill. If you're not careful with the 3/4 and larger bits and it catches hard I swear it could snap both your wrists

Yeah - my Dewalt 3/8 has done me some damage once or twice using 1/2" bits.
I'm running an old-as-dirt Delta 1/2 horse, belt drive and all, and I like it so far. The previous tenant left it in the garage with some assembly required.
If you have the space and money, though, hold out for a larger / taller model. Old isn't a bad thing.

my drill press is a generic 1979 taiwan 3/4 hp. had it since new. works pretty good, but i use my bridgeport for any serious drilling.
also, i use the crap out of my drill doctor sharpening rig. great investment!

Jon! Text me buddy! I need to come give you $20 and check the Jeep out....

Back