• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHO wants to c rear leaf springs FELX!

that extreme flex is very over rated

yep, exactly....

I built my first jeep to be a ramp monster, cause at the time, more flex was considered cool/better....did an honest 1200 on the ramp, which was cool....ON THE RAMP.

I can refer you to people who have built BALANCED rigs that might not score very well on the ramp, 800-900 that would basically SPANK my old rampin' monster.....rigs like Jes' some to mind.....its not showy, it might not "wow" people at the ramp, but it is nicely balanced and will embarass ramp champs on the trail

just be mindful as you build.

jes- sorry that is not even close to balanced flex.....if you drive up a rock forward the front is doing 60% and the rear is doing 40% if you back up a rock your front is doing 80% and your rear is doing 20%. on side hills- before i put the axle and leafs under it it felt really tipsy on a kinda steep hill... after i put the axle and leafs on went on a steeper part of the same hill and hit felt way more stable as before on the less steep hill. and for the shackle angle- it drives way better than it did with a steeper angle around town and on the free way....the shackle only needs to move up 1 inch until the spring is perfectly flat then the shackle will start coming back down....so im not loosing any uptravle at all and it wouldnt matter anyways if i was, cus the tire rubs my fenders and my fenders are cut.

i will post another pic when it sits on flat ground and one of the shackle when its flexed.

Beezil said:
yep, exactly....

I built my first jeep to be a ramp monster, cause at the time, more flex was considered cool/better....did an honest 1200 on the ramp, which was cool....ON THE RAMP.

I can refer you to people who have built BALANCED rigs that might not score very well on the ramp, 800-900 that would basically SPANK my old rampin' monster.....rigs like Jes' some to mind.....its not showy, it might not "wow" people at the ramp, but it is nicely balanced and will embarass ramp champs on the trail

just be mindful as you build.

I AGGREE but what bout having flex with a rig that will do just as good as jes's??
also most of 4 wheelin is driver not rig so y not make u rig cool!! and just learn to drive!

stoney

point I was makin' is that sometimes, rigs that flex beyond a certain limit, perform CRAPPIER than a rig built similarly with less flex.

That's just what I've found...

I believe flex is just fine up to a certain point, for me, I'm thinking that is around 850-1000 on the ramp. When I got to 1200, while i might have wowed some folks at the rent, I truly believe it set be BACK on the trail....

Just notice I'm speaking in terms of "some" and know better than to say "all". Each rig is built differently, with different components, and is drivien differently on different trails.....as they say "YMMV"

have fun!

Stoney said:

also most of 4 wheelin is driver not rig so y not make u rig cool!! and just learn to drive!

stoney

or you cold just learn to drive :D

thats some nice flex, its always funny 2 see peoples reactions when u flex in a parking lot

korda said:
How much of that is actually the leaf flexing and how much is just that 36" shackle dropping?

laugh.gif

Just want to say one thing. If you have all the travel in the world and are not locked up in the diff area it won't get you anywhere. I drove a friends YJ up some trails in Tennesee it only had a lift kit but had lockers and gearing, it was keeping up with all of the fancy built buggies that were there, and doing it easily. Just my 2 cents.

simonsxj said:
Just want to say one thing. If you have all the travel in the world and are not locked up in the diff area it won't get you anywhere. I drove a friends YJ up some trails in Tennesee it only had a lift kit but had lockers and gearing, it was keeping up with all of the fancy built buggies that were there, and doing it easily. Just my 2 cents.

1. The 14b is welded and I'm sure something's going in the front. and 2... "fancy built buggies" without lockers???

korda said:
How much of that is actually the leaf flexing and how much is just that 36" shackle dropping?

that is almost all sprung and the part that isnt still has alot of force from the leverage of the other spring......if you know how suspensions work you would understant and that shackle is only about 3 inches longer than most of everyone elses

Just as a note about longer springs; I installed 2001 Dodge 1500 leaves on my '98 xj recently and they are working out quite well. I left the overload on just like these guys did with the Chevy leaves. I believe mine are about 7.5" longer than stock. I actually mounted them backwards with the center pin moved 1" forward via a 2" block. I mounted the rear of the spring in a 1.5" lift shackle and then positioned the front of the leaf in order to get the tire to sit just rear of center in the wheel well. The front of the spring is mounted to the side of the "frame" similar to stock, but it is mounted lower and has a bolt that goes all the way through the spring and the frame. The frame is covered with a 3x5x 1/4" U channel and the spring bolt passes through a sleeve installed in the frame. In any case, the leaves do not flex as well as I had imagined they might, but did work our very well on BOTW II. They carry weight better than any other springs I have used and don't ride bad at all...empty or full. I am getting around 7" of lift with the 2" block. Pics can be seen at:

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sha...L25fHaNJE.9/0rrBEQr6mHFcynwuM8f3Ksy0pKKwfO8xA

Jeff

Back