• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a peugot in their jeep?

Swapping my peugeot for an AX-15 right now actually. Mine leaked oil like there was no tomorrow I got sick of wasting the cash on oil so I stopped filling it up. As of when I pulled it lastnight it has been running for about 500 miles without oil. It gets kinda hard to shift when you are coming off the freeway after doing 50 miles at 75. But overall I am impressed with it.

White99, this is the writeup I used when I swapped out the BA10/15 in my XJ http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/gears/trannyswap/trannyswap.html

I did a couple things differently; I had a stainless hydraulic line made at a hose shop that ran from the stock master cylinder to the slave cylinder on the tranny (be sure to go with an external slave cylinder setup). It cost me about 40 bucks and saved a ton of time and headacks.

I kept the stock muffler bracket located at the cat that mounts on the crossmember and fabricated a hanger from the exhaust/cat to the bracket.

I've been running my AX-15 for three years now and have been really pleased with it. If your going with big tires (35" or larger) and hard core wheeling I would go with the NV3550. Good Luck

Woody

tchase said:
I'm gonna be doing a 4wd conversion on my MJ this summer and I have enough faith in the peugot to put one in it. This will be behind a 2.5 however and I think when I eventually swap in the 4.0 the peugot will go bye bye.
I'm just curious, but precisely how are you going to bolt the Peugeot up to the 2.5L?

On to my other point concerning why the peugeot sucks; I love manual transmissions and if I have to baby the tranny to keep it alive, what's the point of having a manual tranny?!? In the peugeot's defence, I bought my 2wd 88 MJ at around 160k miles (after it went through several owners) and I used and abused it (on 30" BFGs) for about another 20k miles before it self-destructed (while gently riding along on the freeway no less). I give credit where credit is due for standing up that long (about halfway through that 20k the Dana 35 died), but the fact remains that it is a light-duty trans. If I have to worry about it, that's no fun and FUN was the reason I get manual transmissions. I'd buy another peugeot-equipped Jeep in a heartbeat, but only because I'm prepared for the eventual carnage. As far as I'm concerned, the best deals out there in MJ/XJ-land are rusty 2wds with hurtin'-peugeots, 'cause they're ripe for an AX-15 and 4wd conversion. Then they can be shown the life Jeeps were meant to see. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. this is my ex-2wd, ex-peugeot 88 MJ
70893605.jpg

I had 200,000 on my first Peugot before it got completly shot. I had a rebuild put in it and it only lasted a year before the grinding got so bad I couldn't stand it anymore - barely ever took it off road either. I got fed up with those things and put in an NV3550. It's been in for about 20,000 miles and I love it to death! I never have problems shifting and it seems strong enough for any wheeling I do. Advance Adapters has most the parts you need for the conversion.

Pete M said:
I'm just curious, but precisely how are you going to bolt the Peugeot up to the 2.5L?

Just curious... The BA10/5 wasn't the 5-speed for the 4-cylinder XJs? I thought they all used that 'box initially.

On to my other point concerning why the peugeot sucks; I love manual transmissions and if I have to baby the tranny to keep it alive, what's the point of having a manual tranny?!?

OK, I'm not picking on you here - just making a point: what's the point of having any transmission if you're going to abuse it? I'm all for using it to its potential, but when you know you're doing something that's likely to kill it the point is lost on me.

(And I do agree that this transmission was not the best possible choice for the XJ... But it worked great in passenger cars. Horses for courses.)

Re: Who has a peugeot in their jeep?

casm said:
Just curious... The BA10/5 wasn't the 5-speed for the 4-cylinder XJs? I thought they all used that 'box initially.
Nope. Early XJs used the T-5, AX-5 and another tranny who's name escapes me. The Peugeot was an 87-89.5 4.0L thang.

casm said:
OK, I'm not picking on you here - just making a point: what's the point of having any transmission if you're going to abuse it? I'm all for using it to its potential, but when you know you're doing something that's likely to kill it the point is lost on me.
(And I do agree that this transmission was not the best possible choice for the XJ... But it worked great in passenger cars. Horses for courses.)

"Abuse" is in the eye of the beholder. I don't power shift or anything stupid (breaking things costs money that I don't have), but I also don't drive like an old man. But this is less about my driving habits (I'm actually a "finesse" style offroader) and more about the tranny's ability (or lack there-of) to *not die* because it's too weak for the forces that offroading places on it. It's piece of mind knowing that my AX-15 will reliably transfer the torque of my 4.0L down to the 33" tires without exploding from the strain. The Peugeot was *BARELY* rated for the 4.0L with street tires. Why keep it after adding more horses or bigger tires? That's just inviting catastrophy.
Bottom line:

-stock tires: Peugeot should be fine, but the life expectancy isn't forever so start saving for an upgrade

-any improvements in tires or engine performance: start saving for an upgrade or better yet, do it now

-and NEVER, *NEVER* pay to have it rebuilt!!!!!

Jeep on!
--Pete

My 89 has a Peugeot, its got 187,000 miles. I bought it new in 1989, has given me no problems. I run 31s with 3.07 gearing and wheel it enough to have made other trannys retire by now, so i cant complain.

Nick

TORX

"I love the 87-90 renix cherokees there great and most have hardly any work done and are still running strong there incredible"

I could not agree more TORX!

my 87 has the peugot 5 speed. it has 250k on it with the original clutch. its been great. teh only problem is on cold mornigns it was real hard to get in to 2nd. but if i had a choice i would put it in my 94 instantly.

I have a '95 4.0L and I live in Maine and I put full synth and a new clutch in acouple of thousand miles ago, hoping it would help things. But it is getting harder and harder to get it into 2nd in the winter time. And it is starting to feel notchy in the other gears. Reverse can be a PITA sometimes, but with a 145k, I'm not concerned at all. I have very little problems when its warm outside though, but it is Maine, so that isn't very often. And, my bike is my commuter during that type of weather. The new clutch cured a lot of clunks and noises, but now it's got some milage on it I'm not happy with it again. The engament waits until the pedal is almost all of the way out, and then its hard to get smooth. And when I let off the gas it jerks. It used to make nasty clucks in the rear end when it did this, but the jerkiness is gone for the most part, and the bad clunck noise is completely gone since I put full synth in the differentials a couple of weeks ago. But these little niggly things weren't there when the clutch was brand new. Is there something that needs to be relubed to get things working right again? The nasty lugging noise dissapeared, but is now back a little. Is this typical crap that I just have to deal with? And which tranny do I have? Any tips? I only use my Jeep as a daily driver. Thanks in advance.

jazclrint said:
I have a '95 4.0L and I live in Maine and I put full synth and a new clutch in acouple of thousand miles ago, hoping it would help things. But it is getting harder and harder to get it into 2nd in the winter time. And it is starting to feel notchy in the other gears. Reverse can be a PITA sometimes, but with a 145k, I'm not concerned at all. I have very little problems when its warm outside though, but it is Maine, so that isn't very often. And, my bike is my commuter during that type of weather. The new clutch cured a lot of clunks and noises, but now it's got some milage on it I'm not happy with it again. The engament waits until the pedal is almost all of the way out, and then its hard to get smooth. And when I let off the gas it jerks. It used to make nasty clucks in the rear end when it did this, but the jerkiness is gone for the most part, and the bad clunck noise is completely gone since I put full synth in the differentials a couple of weeks ago. But these little niggly things weren't there when the clutch was brand new. Is there something that needs to be relubed to get things working right again? The nasty lugging noise dissapeared, but is now back a little. Is this typical crap that I just have to deal with? And which tranny do I have? Any tips? I only use my Jeep as a daily driver. Thanks in advance.

You have the Aisin AX15.

white99z said:
. . . The one on this jeep pops out of reverse unless you hold it. . . .
Has the previous owner installed a tcase drop? The reason I ask is that I was trying to correct a vibration after a lift, and tried a 1" tcase drop. I was able to remove the drop, because the vibration was a bad u-joint, rather than bad drive-train angles. Anyway - when I had the 1" drop in, the shifter would not go all the way into reverse gear . . . although it never popped out, I could tell that there was interference with the gear shifter being able to go all the way to the right and all the way down. Just a thought.

It's been awhile since there was a post in this thread, but I wanted to add that I have the pukenjoe tranny. It has 191,000 miles on it, no work ever done to it. I have changed the clutch, and the slave/master cylinder. It is hard to shift when cold and just started. But run it in 1st at 10 miles an hour for a half a mile and you are fine. If it ever does fail I will probably do the conversion, but for now it is just fine.

Just to clear a few things up and answer the original title of this thread, anyone with the original tranny in a 4.0L XJ or MJ, 1987-mid 1989 model year has the Peugeot BA10/5. After mid-89, the AX-15 was used behind the 4.0L until it was replaced by the NV3550 in '00.

Does the Peugeot last a long time? Yes, in some cases it will as evidenced by some of the reports in this thread. Is it expensive to repair when it does break? Definitely. Are there more durable, cheaper transmissions that can be swapped in? AX-15...NV3550...yup.

Jim

Yep, yep and yep. My first one lasted 198,000 miles. The second, less than 12,000. The third... so far so good, still racking up the miles.

For the benefit of someone else, had I had the knowledge then, AND the money, I would have done a swap. I had neither, so I'm just VERY mindful when I wheel.

I had a Peugeot in my MJ up until 2 years ago when I swapped in an AW4 for the better and cheaper crawl ratio. It had about 220,000 miles on it and in the 2 years I had it it popped out of 3rd twice, no other problems at all. I sold it on eBay with the t-case for nearly $400.

I replaced my Peugeot recently with an NV4500--because I installed a Chevy 350. My Peugeot had ~ 150000 miles on it and was quite. Only problem I had was when cold, shifting into second was slow--put moderate pressure on the shifter and she'd shift fine. After ~ 5-10 minutes of driving, the stiffness would go away. I was told another typical failure is with overdrive (5th). The trans does not tolerate constant lugging in 5th; IE: 33inch tires and 45MPH in 5th.
If anyone is interested, my Peugeot is available, along with a matching NV231 transfer case. The transfer case is a '92 with a 21 tooth input gear.

I have an 88 pioneer loympic edition with 294000 miles on the original motor trans (puegot) and transfer case 2nd gear hard when its cold and I half to let out on the clutch halfway to engage reverse other than needing a throw out bearing next week it runs great I pull trailers I shouldnt pull at 70+ all the time and usually 400+ miles one wayfor work 8000 miles in the last 2 months picking up and deliverig parts between detroit denver dallas. Trannys workin fine dont get to wheel much but I work that pukeit to death its going to cost less to replace it with an ax15 though cant wait to tryit

Back