• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a 96 XJ??????????

Well it started off on topic, I pulled the lever. I guess it at one time was for an ejection seat, must not work anymore...

For those who have the dash clock, does yours flicker or loose time?

Look at GoJeep's write up on OEM clocks. Last model shown with a factory parts no. is '96. I assume this is accurate but don't know personally.

Well it started off on topic, I pulled the lever. I guess it at one time was for an ejection seat, must not work anymore...

For those who have the dash clock, does yours flicker or loose time?

It may be stiff or rusted, but what it's supposed to do is rock the base in an arc, thus tilting the whole seat, base and back together, through a small range. You may have to wiggle yourself a little on the seat to make it let go. It's worthwhile to try to get that mechanism working. When in good condition, the seats on that vintage XJ are, to my mind, among the most comfortable long-distance car seats ever designed.

They are there on my base model 95. However, some of the other wiring options are not, such as lighted mirrors and under dash courtesy lights. There must have been a complete sub-harness for those.
But, on my '96 SE (base) the wires for under dash speakers and lights were both there, connected and labeled. I pulled lights and speakers from the junk yard and now I have both working.

It may be stiff or rusted, but what it's supposed to do is rock the base in an arc, thus tilting the whole seat, base and back together, through a small range. You may have to wiggle yourself a little on the seat to make it let go. It's worthwhile to try to get that mechanism working. When in good condition, the seats on that vintage XJ are, to my mind, among the most comfortable long-distance car seats ever designed.

Thanks for the info, now I want to make the seat work freely. I agree, even though they are ugly, they do ride nice.

Last edited:
Dang... I go a day without checking in and swoosh...

ok...
Courtesy light switches on rear doors are a trim option issue. Base models don't have them. I think you get the rear switches along with the rear cargo light, and probably under dash courtesy lights as well.

I have the rear sound bar, under dash lights, and rear switched dome.
Jeep.. never can tell with those fools....

still makes me mad though! I want light when i open the rear doors!!!

Yeah me too.............

I almost guarantee the pigtail for the rear jamb switches is back there even on the base models, they wouldn't make a separate harness just to eliminate those I can't imagine.

I would too... I just hope their not stuffed up under somewhere crazy like the center console or some off the wall place..

no such thing as a 96 Xj, they are a myth

Especialy in Rutherford County... Although forrest city is rumored to have one.

Wellllll.......... the title says 96,,, OBDII says 96,,, this Jeep being a PITA also notates 96...
At least someone here knows where the hell the "TOWN" of Forest City is.. WTF never figured that one out... town, city, town... this Jeep is actully in Shiloh.... lol. (try to find that one on the map near ruffton...) But your right I think it should be named pre-97,,, 96 must'a been a leap year...

I have an 88 Pioneer that has a clock, I think it leaks though. It keeps loosing time.

My question is who has two levers under their seat? I have figured out that one slides the seat back. What is the strange plastic lever on the right under the seat?

Jeezzzus man.. just roll out and slurp all my thunder y dont ya... lol..
I have one werd for ya... PB Blaster..
They are there on my base model 95. However, some of the other wiring options are not, such as lighted mirrors and under dash courtesy lights. There must have been a complete sub-harness for those.
hummmm... guess I'll just have'a look..

1- No, the clock is in the radio.
2- What's a rear door?
3- I have both '89 & '96. I think the bumper caps are the same. There is some adjustment in the bumper mounting and end cap bolts. Loosen them up and adjust, if that doesn't do it, you might have bent something.

For the bumper fitment..
Is there any way the 96 has longer bumper mounts on it??? I hate to have to pull everything back off.. I guess Ill pull a X measurement on the corners and see if everything is still square..

Didn't somebody have a thread on putting the switches in the rear doors?

Maybe in Modified forum.

I almost guarantee the pigtail for the rear jamb switches is back there even on the base models, they wouldn't make a separate harness just to eliminate those I can't imagine.

I think your right, and i have switches out of my old 91 that would probly work but the fact is i am just too lazy and haven't got around to lookin at that, there are more fun things to be doing right now! Eventually i will have switches in the rear doors...

I think your right, and i have switches out of my old 91 that would probly work but the fact is i am just too lazy and haven't got around to lookin at that, there are more fun things to be doing right now! Eventually i will have switches in the rear doors...

I could be wrong but I think 91 lights turn on by switching the ground off and on... As for later models switch hot.. Right????

I have three 96's(well two since I gave one to dad). None of them have the digital clock(two are se, one is a sport). I haven't spent any time with the back doors of the two 4-drs, so I'm not sure about the switch. The front fender flares are wider at the front(as the fenders taper in, the flares now stay straight, instead of following the taper). I prefer the older flares and have a set of them around, but haven't put them on(who wants to break the bolt strips). The bumpers and end caps are the same/mount the same.

Last edited:
All models interior lights (dome/courtesy) are switched grounds as respects turning them on/off with the door switches. Integral map lights, if so equipped, are switched hot.

Managed to free up the lever or figured out what direction the lever goes, and oh my sweet seats. They are so ugly they are comfortable. I guess I was reefing on it in the wrong direction.

There should be a "What the hell is this thread", where you can post a picture and people can provide their input.

Back