• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who gets rid of the E brake?

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. People erroneously call them parking brakes.!

x2.. it is a PARKING BRAKE.

Call it what you want!

I know that i drove my trail rig from the eastern shore of MD to Roanoke with nothing but the E-brake and I'm glad it worked!

I lost hydraulic pressure somewhere on the beltway and managed to drive it home using the brake lever(it was middle of the night and I had no tools and just bought the Jeep that day!) I-81 south with no brakes and manual steering, in the early am sucked.

I flew to Salisbury MD, paid for it and drove it home. Something I never want to do again. Along with no brakes, I lost power steering crossing the Potomac on 50. It was a hell of a night of driving. I fell out of the thing when I made it into my driveway haha!

Crown has e brake cables that work with rear disk conversions on XJ's. Now to find the part numbers.....

East coast gear has these: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-4985638-xj-ford-8-8-e-brake-cables.html

and here are the crown numbers:
I guess it depends on where you buy it! If someone local were to buy it, they'd save a bundle. :-x

Also, there are now XJ cables available.
84/96 use p/n DBC-05 (L&R side x 2)
97/01 R use p/n DBC-06
97/01 L use p/n DBC-07

The cables also work on 8.8 rear end swaps. Just came available last month.

Last edited:
i call it an emergency brake due to the fact that it is completely mechanical, and can be used in the case of a hydraulic system failure, hence "emergency". but i wont argue that the proper name may be parking brake. and yes, you need one regardless of what its called!

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be called an emergency brake, i just mean that it really isn't meant to be used in an emergency. It's made for parking.

But it sure beats nothing if your brakes go out!

I thought it was a front dig brake, for when you want to make a sharp turn on the trail. Front drive only, brake, steer, cool.

I thought it was a front dig brake, for when you want to make a sharp turn on the trail. Front drive only, brake, steer, cool.
this^^

Yea I was originally inclined to keep the e brake to front dig the np242 in awd haha.

That is because of the safety valve in the proportioning valve, it shuts when front or rear brakes lose pressure. It has nothing to do with the master cylinder :D

Just FYI ;)

The proportioning valve has nothing to do with that. If you've even looked at one you would know. It splits the front lines off and puts a valve on the rear brakes that opens up under pressure. Front and rear fluid never mix. I have a jegs proportioning valve that only goes on the rear line and the front line off the MC goes straight to the front axle by a braided line. Made it a real simple system. If you have an old car with a single resovoir and you have a leak front or back, you will loose all fluid and brakes. While "newer" ones is like having 2 MCs, one for front, one for rear. Theres 2 plungers inside if one fails. You can actually do the same thing with 2 single MCs like wilwood makes.

That is because of the safety valve in the proportioning valve, it shuts when front or rear brakes lose pressure. It has nothing to do with the master cylinder :D

Just FYI ;)

ive blown brakelines in vehicles that didnt have prop valves and always maintained at least one axle of brakes.

i was under the assumption that dual resi master cylinders are 2 separate systems and the fluid doesnt mix. would make sense seeing that if you blow a front brake line the rear resivoir stays full and vice versa.

newer master cylinders with a single resi might be different as far as fluid mixing goes, but when the feed for one axle runs out, the other one will still have fluid in the system (until you drive it too far and wear out the lining on your pads to the point it goes dry, but if you do that you are a tard)

Exactly, the reason it's not an emergency brake is because the brake system is redundant and there should be no need for a mechanical backup. Totally losing ALL braking capabilities means you're either a tard or something seriously catastrophic happened to the system (i don't even know what that could be).

Exactly, the reason it's not an emergency brake is because the brake system is redundant and there should be no need for a mechanical backup. Totally losing ALL braking capabilities means you're either a tard or something seriously catastrophic happened to the system (i don't even know what that could be).
So....losing your hydraulic brakes isn't an emergency? After losing just the rears on a fully loaded minivan, I'd have to say that losing all hydraulic pressure would indeed be quite the emergency.

So....losing your hydraulic brakes isn't an emergency? After losing just the rears on a fully loaded minivan, I'd have to say that losing all hydraulic pressure would indeed be quite the emergency.

That's the point, you only lost your rear brakes. The chances of you then completely losing your front brakes are 10000000000:1 (statistic made up on the spot). The front and rear brakes are totally separate systems that do not rely on each other, and you should be able to get your car to a mechanic before the car is unable to stop.

And so, there is no need for an "emergency brake", which is why they stopped putting them on cars. Now they only install "parking brakes", which immobilize a car when it is parked. The fact that you can use it in an emergency does not make it an emergency brake.

The way I've always been told is that a hand brake is an emergency brake, if it has a pedal it's a parking brake.

Also, pretty sure that you don't classify an emergency based on its likelihood of occurring. And trust me, a minivan loaded with 4 adults and 3 kids trying to stop on only the front brakes will quickly overheat those front brakes and you'll find yourself with very little braking power. Slowing from 70-50 when I got off the highway then 50-0 very shortly after nearly overwhelmed my brakes. I had the pedal buried in the carpet to come to a complete stop. I pulled off in the next parking lot to let them cool for about 30 minutes before resuming our trip and dropping it off at the brake shop. That was a lovely surprise while my parents were visiting.

If I had had an e-brake instead of a parking brake, you can bet I would've been using it.

Brake pedal snap off?

Back