• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which water pump to buy?

I just removed a Mopar branded water pump from my XJ and replaced the a NAPA new pump. The Mopar pump was nicely stamped "China" on the end of the shaft and the clearance between the impeller and housing was about triple that of the NAPA pump. The Mopar pump was not loose or worn, the impeller was just not installed properly. Generally I find the OEM parts to be of the highest quality; however, in this case I'd definitely have to say the Mopar pump was an inferior product.

you cannot buy a new water pump at the dealership
chrysler parts change up to a rebuilt.
so if the dealership says its new and its under 65.00
you are really getting a rebuilt from chrysler.
the bearing just went out in mine today.
price from the dealership 45.00 definetly a rebuilt.

Dealer Prices

So I was all convinced to drive a few extra miles, spend a few more bucks and buy the dealer part, until I called and checked the prices. :flamemad:

I was quoted $126 each for both a waterpump and the thermostatic fan clutch at both dealers in Colorado Springs. At that rate, it is worth buying a rebuilt from Checker and taking the risk of replacing it. The hoses were a total of $60 for both, I can pull the spring out of the old one and put it in the aftermarket part.

I'll pay quality, but those prices are absurd.

Fred

Fred

Re: Dealer Prices

Fred said:
So I was all convinced to drive a few extra miles, spend a few more bucks and buy the dealer part, until I called and checked the prices. :flamemad:

I was quoted $126 each for both a waterpump and the thermostatic fan clutch at both dealers in Colorado Springs. At that rate, it is worth buying a rebuilt from Checker and taking the risk of replacing it. The hoses were a total of $60 for both, I can pull the spring out of the old one and put it in the aftermarket part.
I'll pay quality, but those prices are absurd.
Fred

OW, do those colorado dealers also charge you for the KY. Last time I checked they were like $75, are you sure they were not giving you a price for both..

That would be each.
No KY included. Barely even a smile, or a thank you. :wow:

Fred

I have to agree with Fred on this one. Dealerships vary widely from place to place. My local dealership does not even know the meaning of discount. Heck, they won't even repair a vehicle under a warranty/recall unless you know to ask. Guess that’s the price to pay for living away from the metropolis.

You want how much? Does that at least include a reach around?

Bones :skull1:

Last I changed my water pump I went with a a reman from AZ. Went through two of those in about 1 month. Paid the difference for their "new" one and it has been great. (about 4 years now) Had the exact same experience with an alternator there. Went through 2 reman's and paid the difference for their "new" Delco unit. Been working great.
I don't think I'll buy rebuilt units any longer but I will go with their new units.

I am reviving some water pump threads. I just noticed my 2 year old AZ water pump on my 87 has about 1/32" of thrust play now in the shaft, and the pully wobbles a little when the engine is running. I am wondering if the pully might be out of round, and where I might get a good one. Also wondering if a 1/32" of thrust play in the shaft bearing-seal is a problem or not. Will be looking at other pump sources as well this week.

So topic is still where to get a good quality pump standard duty.

How much shaft play, if any, is OK.

Has anyone had pulley problems on the WP pulleys, out of round, not flat, found a good source for a new one, or have a way to fix them...???

This is on my 87, the first pump I ever installed on it since buying it around 2006.

My 89 is on its second AZ water pump, developed too much shaft thrust play after 2-3 years or so.... and was replaced in Jan, 2012, but has been parked since its last fender bender :(

They were all new pumps.

I have been eating O'reilly pumps every 6 months, but they are lifetime warranted and change out in minutes.. parts guy told me they have a crap supplier...

Now we're getting some where finally an answer on which water pump to buy. Sounds like stay away from O'Reiley's any other people have input on which water pump to buy or not? Please stick to the subject I had almost forgot what this thread was about!!

Found this on Bosch at Rock Auto. Looks impressive:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/WaterPumps/Documents/WP_QualInspectProcedures_GD_0512.pdf

Bosch uses case-hardened type bearings for improved longevity of water pumps. Case-hardened bearings handle higher workloads with greater
longevity than regular, non-hardened and through-hardened bearings.
Our bearings are designed as specified by the OE to meet the specific radial
and axial load requirements of each application.
But Rock auto is showing 3 different hub heights for the 87 4.0 water pumps??????

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1184587,parttype,2208

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179716,parttype,2208

http://www.cardone.com/products/competitor-comparison/water-pumps

There is a real difference in hub height and diameter on some of these, and only one is listed as reverse rotation! I thought all the 4.0's were reverse rotation, which ones used the standard, and why does rock auto list the other rotation??????

Last edited:
I have been running a Hesco pump for a few years here in the AZ heat without issue. The nice machined impeller certainly looked like it would hold up better than the cheap stamped one that is on all the other pumps...

The two listed Bosch pumps show a different hub height????? And different diameters?

I suspect one size is for Grand Cherokee????? But which? IS the GC the standard rotation?

I have been running a Hesco pump for a few years here in the AZ heat without issue. The nice machined impeller certainly looked like it would hold up better than the cheap stamped one that is on all the other pumps...

I don't think the impeller is a problem, especially not steel. It is the shaft and bearing that is going bad quickly on new pumps.

I don't think the impeller is a problem, especially not steel. It is the shaft and bearing that is going bad quickly on new pumps.

I've seen pictures of the stamped impellers having rotted away, of course your cooling system would be in pretty bad shape for that to happen, and not right away. Sure it could be 99% marketing but it's been working just fine for me and the machined impeller sure looks more impressive.

Now we're getting some where finally an answer on which water pump to buy. Sounds like stay away from O'Reiley's any other people have input on which water pump to buy or not? Please stick to the subject I had almost forgot what this thread was about!!

Well I found a pinhole in my right radiator tank (all metal rad). I pulled battery, tray, drained half coolant, and scotchbrited everything, smeared it with JB weld. It's holding but I feel rad and pump are in my future. I don't have a cooling problem though. :shiver:

Does everyone still agree that Napa New pumps are good units? :confused1

The NAPA pump I bought a few months ago is a reboxed Gates. So far so good.

OK cool. Well my JB Weld for the metal radiator tank is holding and it was hot as heck here today and I ran the AC all day. Going to buy the pump and have on hand.

Are you guys running a gasket, a Felpro / branded one, or just RTV form a gasket? The last Napa paper gasket I got was a paper POS I had to redo my t-stat housing because it seeped.

I bought 3 (for spares) new Bosch water pumps from Rock auto. They look "Rock" solid to me!!! Price is great, and the specs sound better that most similar ones. If either of my last two AZ Duralast pumps actually die, the Bosch is going in next. I am also planning to replace the pulley on both as one of them looks slightly warped when running at idle, just enough to put angular stress on the thrust bearings!!! I found them online for just $9.99

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/idler-pulley-53010309.html

I now have four Renix 4.0's in my fleet!

Foot note: I don't think it maters who you buy the pump from, what really matters is the brand name in the box!!!!

did you ever figure out the part number on the water pumps from rockauto ?

Back