• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tranny???

Just wanted to give you the heads up on swapping to the manual transmission. The transmission you would swap is the AX5, a nice little 5 speed that does quite well with the torque of the 2.8l and the 2.5l. However, the weak links are the clutch master and slave cylinders. As far as wheeling, the auto tranny is quite capable and better on the trail than the manual. I was raised three-footin' a manual transmission but have to admit that it urks me when my son makes obstacles look easy with the auto that I have to struggle with. :mad:

A-Men Hoss! I have been drooling ove rhte new 4 speed in the 2.5L wranglers that i hear are out there now. But have yet to see it!

Well honestly I'd stick with the auto, and just have it rebuilt when you start getting slippage, the 904 is a good unit. The 207 is a decent tcase untill you start abusing it with 33" + tires and lots of abusive wheelin', if the mileage is high and the 4wd was used very much a new chain in there might not be a bad idea.
Mike B.

Back