• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Mopar Performance Cam for my stroker?

jeepinwi

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm planning for the day when I find out my Crane 753905 cam has to be removed. It's not if it fails, but unfortunately when it fails. I'd like to go with a Mopar Performance cam rather than the stock cam. I love the performance of the Crane cam, but I will not put another one back into my engine. Which Mopar cam would you recommend from the chart below? I have one in mind, but want to get some other opinions. BTW, going into a 4.6L stroker in my 99 5 speed XJ. It sees only onroad use and daily 4k+ rpm operation.

jeepcamshaft.jpg

(modified)Chart from Dr Dyno's website

First off.......forget about the P4529231 and 232 they are no longer available(NS1)
With that in mind and 4000 RPM range is what you are interested in P4529230

Flash

j99xj[B said:
]I'm going to tell you what you don't want to hear but I think the mopar cams aren't that much better than stock.[/b]

I think the best cam in that table is the 96+.

Details>>>.....?.......<<<<<<<<<<

Flash.
EDIT
acording to my Dyno sim the comp "231" is all but identical to the P4529229 and it dus it with less lift!

Last edited:
The only thing that concerns me with the 96+ camshaft is the relatively small amount of lift. Maybe I just don't know enough about camshafts to understand how they work. Of course they raise the pushrods which operate the lifters, blah blah blah. I just don't know how the duration, valve lift, and overlap relate to each other.

jeepinwi said:
The only thing that concerns me with the 96+ camshaft is the relatively small amount of lift. Maybe I just don't know enough about camshafts to understand how they work. Of course they raise the pushrods which operate the lifters, blah blah blah. I just don't know how the duration, valve lift, and overlap relate to each other.

with you already having the crane (905) I would be willing to bet that the MPP P4529230 will have a little bit less top end power but will make more down low
Dr Dyno when from you can to the stock one and is happy with it!

Flash.

whats wrong with the crane cam you have?

IslanderOffRoad said:
whats wrong with the crane cam you have?

There have been several Crane cam failures in vehicles here on NAXJA.

I will be replacing one this weekend.

jeepinwi said:
Well, I'm planning for the day when I find out my Crane 753905 cam has to be removed. It's not if it fails, but unfortunately when it fails. I'd like to go with a Mopar Performance cam rather than the stock cam. I love the performance of the Crane cam, but I will not put another one back into my engine. Which Mopar cam would you recommend from the chart below? I have one in mind, but want to get some other opinions. BTW, going into a 4.6L stroker in my 99 5 speed XJ. It sees only onroad use and daily 4k+ rpm operation.

If you liked the crane -905 I would running with the -30 cam if you plan on going Mopar.

I had the -905 and the Comp 68-231-4. I liked the pull of the 231 much more. I want max torque a bit lower than I had with the -905 so I was going to run the -29 Mopar cam, but after a lot of searching and comparing I will be running a newer Comp grind this round.

I haven't heard of any one running the Comp 68-232-4 so I guess I'm going to G-pig it. Results will be posted.

Bones :skull1:

Not everything goes the way you want them to...

jeepinwi said:

Don't worry about the lower amount of lift with the '96+ camshaft. The stock 4.0 head doesn't flow significantly more air above 0.40" of lift to make much difference to HP/TQ. The '96+ cam makes about 8-10lbft more torque at low/medium rpm than the earlier stock cam but it gives away about 6-8hp at higher rpm.
One advantage to using the stock cam is you can also use the stock valve springs. With the combination of wider lobes and less spring pressure, there's a lot less chance of cam failure. You could also add roller rockers to add more stability to the valvetrain. I love the Yella Terras in my stroker. I have the 1.6's but if you go for the '96+ cam, you could go for 1.7's which would raise valve lift from 0.408/0.414 to 0.433/0.440, still just within range for stock valve springs.

Back