• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Jeep to Wheel?

ffjosh

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry this will be long....

So I have 2 XJs now.

1st one is a 1993 with a HO engine. Its all stock with the exception of my plasma cutter doing some body work. It runs awesome, tranny shifts awesome, 4wd is sometimes hard to engage but other then that is works awesome. Problems are the floor boards are rusted out and so are the rockers. I have fixed it a little but did not do a great job as I was just wheeling it. It also needs all new bearings, seals, joints, exhaust ect. It also over heats because the rad is clogged. The main part of the frame is solid though. It has no title either.

My 2nd one is a 98 XJ with a normal engine but this engine only has 40k on it! The tranny has 170k but works good. (drove it 4 hours home). The 4wd shifts a 100 times better. It has 4.10 gears in it, 6.5 lift, 32 inch tires, very quiet. This thing has 90% no rust. It had a little on a rocker panel and a little on the hatch but the guy fixed it. The entire frame and floorboards are solid. Needs nothing but some sliders.

I was thinking about wheeling the 98 but its so nice I could probably get a nice chunk out of it.

Then I thought about taking all the goodies off the 98 and put them on the 93 but im afraid the 93 could fall apart after 1 big wheeling trip lol

Then I thought about just using the 93 for parts as I know the 98 will need a tranny and I could rob the HO parts off the 93.

I don't plan on beating up the XJ too bad wheeling as most of its just trail riding but accidents do happen.

I do not need the money but its always nice to have.

Im afraid if I wheel the 98 I will kick my self the first tree I hit, then again im afraid I will kick my self because if I rob the parts off the 98 and sell it I will be using that money to fix up the 93.

My 98
6pp8px.jpg

My 93 - its in rougher shape now that its been sitting out and I have wheeled it a couple times as is down some ATV trails (I would not do that with the 98 lol)
100_3330800x600.jpg

100_3334800x600.jpg

Wheel the '98. Sell the '93. With a ton of rust it might not be worth your time to fix.

H.O. and normal engine? Does this mean the 93 has a stroker or otherwise hopped up? If so then you already probally have a good bit invested in it.

I meant its a non H.O. Engine in the 98. The 93 only has just over 100k on it too and runs awesome, someone just decided they would never wash it.

I was thinking of robbing all the H.O parts off the 93 and putting them on the 98.

But I really do not need a ton of power to crawl down trails

First of all, ATV trails aren't legal around here... not sure about out there but I'd stay off em.

I would wheel the hell out of the 93, when it finally breaks in half use the parts to keep the 98 alive. Tranny from the 93 won't work in the 98, btw, due to ISS/OSS differences.

The HO (high output) designation was a transitional thing when Jeep released it in '91, I believe. All six cylinders after that time are HO's by default. I assume they dropped the HO in later years because it was redundant...it's not just high output, it's the only output.

There's nothing to take off the 93 to add to the 98 and make the 98 HO, it's already there.

I say wheel the '98, and scrap or part the '93.

Last edited:
yeah, HO is just what they called it when they put the new Chrysler OBD compatible engine control system on the motor instead of the old RENIX systems. They didn't tack it on the 2.5L AFAIK because that would just be funny.

I gotcha on the engine thing. I thought the throttle body, headers ect where different...guess I need to search more lol

Im half tempted to wheel the crap out of the 93, but I am not sure if it would be worth my time swapping the lift and everything over and fixing the 93 for it just to snap in half lol

First of all, ATV trails aren't legal around here... not sure about out there but I'd stay off em.

I would wheel the hell out of the 93, when it finally breaks in half use the parts to keep the 98 alive. Tranny from the 93 won't work in the 98, btw, due to ISS/OSS differences.

We don't have any public land around here. When I say ATV trails im talking about personal property trails. Its really all we have unless I go to the badlands in attica indiana.

Thanks for the input on the tranny.

Oh, long as you have permission to be on that property, go for it. We have the same thing out here, so basically the only way to wheel legally is to know the owner or be in a club that has permission from the owner to be there. I already knew like half the members in one of the local clubs, so I joined that one. Easy enough and we have planned trail rides pretty frequently.

Oh, long as you have permission to be on that property, go for it. We have the same thing out here, so basically the only way to wheel legally is to know the owner or be in a club that has permission from the owner to be there. I already knew like half the members in one of the local clubs, so I joined that one. Easy enough and we have planned trail rides pretty frequently.

We dont even have clubs, heck we barley even have hills so 90% of the people just hit mud pits which I hate. I do have permission as its my land and my grandmas land that we mostly wheel on.

Thats the reason I bought the 93 is because I just would drive with the ATVs. I'm thinking of just keeping it to ride down the ATV trails in and keep the 98 for wheeling at bigger places where im not dragging tree

We dont even have clubs, heck we barley even have hills so 90% of the people just hit mud pits which I hate. I do have permission as its my land and my grandmas land that we mostly wheel on.

Thats the reason I bought the 93 is because I just would drive with the ATVs. I'm thinking of just keeping it to ride down the ATV trails in and keep the 98 for wheeling at bigger places where im not dragging tree

What part of Indiana are you in where there aren't clubs around? :dunno: To answer your question....Wheel them both! :D

This is a club and im from IN, if you join(go red) by tomorrow you get entered into a raffle and can win stuff. maybe we will let you in to the coolbaconloversclub.

i say wheel the 98 at big wheeling trips and save the 93 for the other B/S, come follow along with the MWC tradition and beat on something pretty till it turns ugly :D

come follow along with the MWC tradition and beat on something pretty till it turns ugly :D

I like the way you think, Andrew! :D

This is a club and im from IN, if you join(go red) by tomorrow you get entered into a raffle and can win stuff. maybe we will let you in to the coolbaconloversclub.

i say wheel the 98 at big wheeling trips and save the 93 for the other B/S, come follow along with the MWC tradition and beat on something pretty till it turns ugly :D

I love bacon:spin1:

Where are you located at?

In the chicken coop hunting a hen....

:D

Hammond IN north west corner, basically a far east suburb of the great state of Chicago

In the chicken coop hunting a hen....

Hammond IN north west corner, basically a far east suburb of the great state of Chicago

Does the Hen know you're hunting a hen? :D

thats the hen im after, damn chicks are always awake...

I gotcha on the engine thing. I thought the throttle body, headers ect where different...guess I need to search more lol

Im half tempted to wheel the crap out of the 93, but I am not sure if it would be worth my time swapping the lift and everything over and fixing the 93 for it just to snap in half lol

OK I see where the confusion stemmed from

Back