• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is better MT/TrXus Radial or STS/Trxus Radial?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know tons about tires, but what exactly is the difference between Interco's/Super Swampers MT/TrXus Radial or STS/Trxus Radial? I like both of them and really do more street riding than offroad, so I'm looking for the best street riding tire with great offroad capabilities.

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

the mt's have a more convetional tread to them while the sts's have a triangular thread. i run the sts's on my daily driver and well ill put it this way, id buy another set in a heart beat, i dont know about there mt's but interco does make damn good tires

Hmmm... The description on the Interco site says:

"The TrXus STS, the STS stands for Three Stage Sidewall, is a new concept in all terrain tires. These tires are not intended to be a substitute for the Super Swamper or Bogger tires but a tire for you if you spend a lot of time on the street. Besides working so well on the street it has good off road performance and excels in snow and sand. It is also very much at home in the rocks and will impress anyone with its all around performance. This tire is going to set a new standard in the all terrain category. "

Could you boil that down to "poser"? :laugh3: It probably does do pretty well in sand. They might be good on slickrock, like Moab. But sometimes, unless you have big lugs - you don't get a hook or bite.

From what I hear, they ar excellent for towing your jet ski to the river.

I've got the MT's and they are pretty nice on the street. They are WAY better than the Procomp XTerrains!

bburge

I can't follow where people think one person's tire choice leans toward "poser" and some other guy's doesn't in this thread. A "poser" to me is the guy on TSL/SXs that are nearly burned off from endless time on pavement yet he doesn't even have discos and his lift consists of blocks and longer u-bolts.

Those STS would be desirable in more than a few places I can think of, especially if I get to make my trip up to northern canada (tundra and lots of millions of year old surfaces of ancient rock, as well as a good amount of time on snow and ice). So I'm actually considering them.

Now that that's said, I ran the MT/TRXUS on my jeep up until this latest buildup (in progress) and the idea of that trip. The MT/TRXUS were tough and still rode well on pavement, they were a mpg improvement over the TSL/SXs I ran before them, and not a tremendous loss in grip. Sidewall cut durability was right up there. I'd recommend them over the STS to all of my friends around here, but that's because of what we wheel here.

Run what's best for what you'll do on them.

no such thing as a "great" off-road tire that works equally well on the street. there are some good compromises and that's about it, if you live out west. if you live near or wheel in any mud then "all Terrains" are marginal off-road. Swamper trxus are a very good tire, but i suspect will wear out fairly fast on the street. heck do what i do,run street tire on road and Swampers off road. yeah it's a pain, but you're young right?

The STS does in fact work well in sand...we have lots of sand in Florida...the MT's work nearly as well in sand...don't know about rocks...we don't have any...in mud...if it's loamy topsoil kinda mud with some hardpan under it, they are ok...but if its gumbo mud like clay or muck...have a good snatch rope and a buddy with '44's handy ...they don't clean well.

BTW...the guys I know that have either kind say they get good tire life. And they say they run pretty quiet...

My sis had 29" STS tires on her TJ and they kicked butt in the snow! But my 33" MTs were quieter on the roads though and do much better offroad than the STS. Either makes a great all-around tire, but treat the STS like it was a BFG all-terrain. Don't let them near deep mud. And from what I can gather from reading posts about the trXus tires, rotate them ever 3-5K and you should get 35-45k miles. They seem to show problems in your alignment more rapidly than other tires, but that's just a rough observation. Oh, and the 29" STS was as tall as a 30" BFG AT and 1" wider.
Jeep on!
--Pete

43899215.jpg

71354093.jpg

Back