• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's the Beef?

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am just wondering on why Chrysler/AMC/DC did not or is not currently running limited slip rear axles as standard equipment?, being a Jeep and having the engineering to go off road, why did they choose to make the Trac Loc, an option? I know they are in the business of making money and the bottom line is profit,, but why choose this route?? any suggestions?

GQ'R

how many people that buy a jeep really buy it for off-road use? i would bet not many. i would say that most jeep owners don't even know what a limited slip is outside of the few that actually do have off-road intentions. i would say most that are buying a jeep don't really care what it comes with as long as they can say "i have a jeep."

besides if dc really and truly cared about the jeep off-road heritage, they would at least keep solid axles (i know that's been beat to death but...). bad enough they put ifs on the liberty, now it's standard on the grand cherokee for 2005.

Saftey, Sally soccer mom might push the gas too hard going around the corner on a wet road and have the rear end come around on her. Bluntly stated, an open differential is just more idiot proof.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Saftey, Sally soccer mom might push the gas too hard going around the corner on a wet road and have the rear end come around on her. Bluntly stated, an open differential is just more idiot proof.
Mike B.

And more law suit proof. Auto makers are getting sued for every thing these days.

1986xj said:
Mike B.

I resent that! :cool:

Sure, my XJ's open diff doesn't slide around like my Dakota's locking diff
did... but that doesn't make me a soccer mom!!

Wanna open the eyeballs of a dealer salesman? Go test-driving a 5-speed
pickemup on a rainy day... (Honest, I didn't do it on purpose...)

Den

Back