• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheres sKuLLy?

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
Been pretty crazy last 8 months with the packed house; 2 1/2 year old and new baby.

8 months later it is still crazy and I do get a chance to lurk here and there but the other project I have been working on and off for the last 6 months is taking up what little time I have between work and family.

WALKABOUT Colorado

(some of you are stars on the page. I needed some outdoor pictures and trips so you bums are the only ones I got.)

Still at the very beginning stages but if any of you remember I was trying to put together an Off Road Adventures for Adults with disabilities. It continued and mutated along the way to my own Provider Agency.

I am still interested in people who would work for me on the weekends with a mechanically sound rig, willing to pass a background check and have 3 seats available in their rig. You would get some money for the effort with vehicle maintenance and the gas.

I am going to try and put together some test runs this summer. So anyone want a part time job 10 hrs a day getting a little $$ to wheel let me know and I can give you what the requirements are going to be.:peace:

Other than that, I am still here. :greensmok

Last edited:
aaah, the memories of changing diapers in your sleep...

I'm still in for a weekend and think your plan is great, but I'm not sure my rig currently qualifies as "mechanically sound", although it does make a mechanical sound... :gee:

Can I bring my own background check???? :looney:

LOL I had to have one for work, it was kind of a mystery until I got it back.

We'll have to see how things go for me this year.

I'd like to know more Matt. Send me the details. :thumbup:

I'd like to think I would pass a background check....... :D

The BOR rig should fit the bill - 3 available seats, roll cage (soon) and makes mechanical sounds....... :looney:

However, I would decline any compensation for my time or travel expense..... We can simply volunteer right?

Last edited:
As the son of a para, I would love to volunteer some of my time. Let us know the dates and I am sure you will have plenty of takers.

Thanks for the positive!

When I was researching and doing this last year I found out that even if you wanted to do it as completely free to the participants there was so much you had to have. Not necessarily for individuals with families /SLS (supported living services) but for those who are in Comprehensive services 24/7 had to have all this stuff to be approved from the division of human services and Community Center Boards. This is how I would get the word out and get people to sign up for the adventures. So in observing how my buddy did it with his backpack program you put an upfront $ on a trip cost, then the CCBs would arrange for the payment for each person. Individuals can pay out of pocket but it can be considered respite or therapeutic program. For this to be a completely FREE it would require me in organizing charity events to pay for all the background stuff. Like Supervision levels had to be met, training for at least half the staff or a 5:1 ratio, health & safety is the big key word, but the biggest- the umbrella coverage for liability insurance. I guess we live in a "sue your ass world" that this is the biggest setback to my plans. Not cheap either...............so anyone volunteers I still have to give you compensation for the gas and use of your rig as this is in guarantee your rig is not going to blow up on the highway! I am talking about $50-70 for the use of your rig, and the gas to run the event. I either have to pay for training for any of you or compensate a staff that is already trained. Complicated-I arrange trips with the $ assigned to each open seat to cover the cost of all of this liability stuff. In a way though it is FREE to the participants, some one else picks up the bill and the insurance makes the money.

Anyway that is were I decided just to start my own agency anyway and could wrap this up with it so I share liability coverage and equipment making it a little cheaper to run. That is what the other guy did, his back pack program is part of his company's events although my cost per seat is cheaper than his. An example, his camping trips cost $550 person ouch! I still can not figure that one out other than they get a reserved camp site. I can not figure how it could go above $175 per person?

(Still working on getting all the equipment, need another cheap XJ that is in great condition! :) ) Right now I have not decided whether to make a simple business or go through the hassle of a Non-profit. I am not going to be that big. For my Day Program I will have one full time staff and there is no way by any means am I going to be rich, not in this field at least. :)

The Offroad Adventurers I am looking at a Bill Moore/Mill Creek run, then a Coney Flats/Middle St. Vrain run probably end of July and then in August. My goal is 4 rigs (might have a second rig by then) 3 participants in each rig for a total of 9 participants. One staff (who is completely trained), myself of course, plus the drivers for how many rigs to fill up the rest outside of my own. Yella definitely will call you up on it. No matter how much you would just give your time and rig I will still comp you for the gas and use of your rig.

So far the requirements are;

Background check. They are looking for domestic violence or major felonies. Still waiting for a response from the higher powers whether it can be State CBI or I have to go federal which I would need fingerprints. I would pay for that.

A mechanically sound rig and I am not talking making noises either. A inspection form from a ASA certified mechanic to say your wheel is not going to fall off. I am going to see if a local 4x4 acquaintance will do it for free or a very small fee.

Of course 8-10 hours of your time to drive people that might try your patience or try to hit you in the back of the head. :)

Last edited:
I made a mistake in my post above. My plan this summer is 4 rigs 9 participants, one rig will have 3 participants and others 2 each. That way if something happens and a rig breaks down those participants will have room to ride in other rigs to get home. Safety net so to speak.

cammer34
As the son of a para, I would love to volunteer some of my time. Let us know the dates and I am sure you will have plenty of takers.

Did not see your post. Yeah, once I nail down the dates and everything is set and agencies have my openings so I can start to book them I will let you guys know.

I need to do these test runs to help fine tune some things. BTW afternoon outdoor cook out will also be included with the run.

What if I could get you volunteers that were all current Police Officers? Would that curb the need for background checks and the expense for those volunteer cops?

Got lots of friends with a badge that 'wheel........

:dunno:

That certainly is not a bad idea. My rig might not pass that (...actually it wouldn't who am I kidding haha), pass that mechanical check out...and it's a 2-door so not quite ideal. But I still would like to be involved in any way possible.

What if I could get you volunteers that were all current Police Officers? Would that curb the need for background checks and the expense for those volunteer cops?

Got lots of friends with a badge that 'wheel........

:dunno:

There is crazy po po out there............:laugh3:

I will look in to it, to get approval from county CCBs I submit proof that my event has trained staff and everyone checks out. They make it so complicated.........

That is a good idea though, would you and say two other co-workers commit to a date(s) once I nail them down?

werd. the second one is NOT an addition, its exponential.:confused1

I just remember him giving me shit for not wheeling on the weekends as much as I use to. I said "wait till you have a second kid".

See man once you have a second one, you never go anywhere alone.

I have been looking for you............:D

It is not as much having a second kid, it is the wife went back to work on the weekends 3 days on 9 hour overnights. So my weekends we get to do nothing, well I get to hang with the boys and get nothing done while the wife sleeps. :speepin:

Back