• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get custom length hard brake lines?

You can get a bender that looks kinda like a spring you slide over the tubing that keeps the tubing from kinking and then you slide it back off, attach your fitting then flare it. It should be available at just about any auto parts store.

Yeah, those are nice, I've never actually needed one though. My thumbs do pretty OK for bending.

Just a note... make sure the flare nuts are in the right spots on the line before bending it :gonnablow (don't ask!)

Also, flare nuts actually make pretty good benders. I had to put a near right angle bend in a line I did for my MJ last weekend, and what worked out great was grabbing a long flare nut with a pair of vise grips (either protect the threads or use a sacrificial nut, have a plan on how to get it off the line afterwards) and bending the line a little using the nut, then inch it down and bend a little more. This works GREAT when you are doing a bend very close to where the flare nut will end up, just wrap it with about a half dozen layers of duct tape or screw it into a 3/8x24 tallnut before putting vise grips on it.

Make sure you buy precut lines with US thread nuts on them, not Metric. It's marked on the tag. The 3/16" diameter line with metric nuts on it will actually screw into a US threaded fitting for a couple turns before it binds, leaving you very confused if you already tore the tag off.

IIRC, you can just unbolt the lower mount on the hard line, straighten the line, and rebolt it lower, if all you are lifting is 3".

This last week I finally made it a priority to make my own hard lines for the rear axle. It was super easy once I figured out what I was doing. The best thing I did was watch a youtube video explaining it step by step here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usTvYMjwVdc

I bought about an 8 foot line that already had two nuts and flared ends ready to go. I purchased a package of correct nut inserts since I would need two more for each line I would make. I bought a line cutting tool, and rented a double flaring kit from Autozone for $30 that I was refunded when I returned the tool.

I screwed up on my first attempt because I had the line sticking through the tool too much. But once I watched the video explaining how to do it correctly, it worked out beautifully. After bleeding the brake system, it is working beautifully with absolutely no leaks. I just wish I would have done this sooner because it looks so much better now. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Back