• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find replacement carpet for cargo area?

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
My Newfoundland destroyed the carpet I have in my 2000 xj sport. After a couple years of riding around in the back, the carpet smells so bad that I ended up pulling it out and throwing it away. I'd like to replace the carpet with something OEM and put in a cargo liner but I'm haviing difficulty finding just the cargo area carpet. I know I could probably pull one out of a wrecked xj but I'd prefer to get new carpet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

jeepsareus.com or teamcherokee.com may have something.

If you didn't want OEM you could skin that dog. Just kidding!

haha I think I've threatened him with that a few times. I guess another option would be to coat the cargo area with line-x or rhino-liner ( I can't think of the stuff you can buy that rolls on).

My only issue is that I don't want him to be sitting on the floor without padding, I'd think it would be a little rough on him when going over bumps on the backroads. I guess we could buy a rubber/plastic cargo liner and put some jute padding underneath of it to provide some cushion.

Thoughts?

In your case, maybe bedline the area and get some cheap but closely matching indoor/outdoor carpet cut reasonably close to match the floor. You can secure it with velcro or some other "quick disconnect" type gizmo. That way, once it gets trashed again, you can pull it out easily enough to clean it or replace it.

Try craigslist for somebody parting an XJ. Afew months back I got nearly a complete interior (front & rear seats, center console, front and rear carpet, sun visors, & grab handles) for $175.

Either way there are some tricks to installing the new rear carpet. I found if you cut 2 slits at 90 degrees from each other where the holes for the 4 cargo tie down's are, you can wiggle the carpet back under the cargo tie downs. I also cut a slit in the carpet under the back seat rather than remove the rear seat belt torx bolts.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here's where I detailed my interior swap.
http://tim.midwestlost.com/gallery/int_swap

Herculiner. It's at the parts house.

There is also formed cargo bed trays in molded step tread, three colors, and molded with a carpet facing. Not exactly cheap, they run $75 up. Matching fronts and rears push it all past $175, which has stalled me for years.

On the other hand, most 'Marts carry cheap vinyl cargo floor liners that can be cut to fit. I've researched using a mini truck mat, most seem to have annoying molded patterns that include the name of the company right where you'd like to cut them at the seat back. Add the immense rubber smell as it cures over months - like Herculiner and the rest - and you have to rethink that.

I'm now comtemplating using sodium silicate treated exterior plywood and bolting that down with some serious cargo rings . . .

Back