• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do you Wheel?

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
Now I am sure that there is a thread like this somewhere but this has a little twist.

I am currently recording the locations of OHV areas and would like some input as to where everyone likes to wheel and there opinion of the area. My current process has been to research BLM and Forest Service websites for trail information, which is not always easy. My goal it to have a complete inventory of OHVA to help others find legal and fun places to go.

Now I am a fan of the Charles Wells books and the like, as I am sure you all are but to avoid copy right issues please submit the Trail or OHVA Name, Lat/Long Location, and a web link to the site of the governing agency if available. I will add new submissions and update the file as needed for you all to download.

Here is a link to the OHV areas I have located so far in Google Earth

http://www.4x4trailmaps.com/files/OHV_locations.kmz

Here is a link to a Google Earth file and how I would like to eventually capture all the trails

http://www.4x4trailmaps.com/files/Bartlett_Springs/Bartlett_Springs_Waypoints.kmz

You can also send your own Google Earth files to [email protected]

What a perfect way for the Greenies to know exactly what we do, and where we do it, making their jobs that much easier.

Maybe it is just me, but this is kind of fishy.

Sorry it is not meant to be strange. I am pretty green when it comes to jeep'n and I have trouble finding information on where to wheel; that is good, detailed and free information. I work in GIS, mapping, and thought I would start a website and Google Earth stuff to help show people where they can go.

I just mention the copy right thing because I don't know that much about it and I don't know if I can use that stuff without getting into trouble?

Eh the greenies can't do crap with this. All the trails in the Black Hills are going to be put on a map anyways and the greenies can't touch it, the rest of the national forest will be the same around 2009.

Fergie said:
What a perfect way for the Greenies to know exactly what we do, and where we do it, making their jobs that much easier.

Maybe it is just me, but this is kind of fishy.

I see where you're coming from, but think that this could actually be beneficial to us in a few ways.

Most enviroweenies don't go for shutting down access to individual trails (at least around here), but rather large expanses of land. By showing the trails we're using, this gives us a good way of showing exactly the areas we have an impact on - and, more importantly, maintain. When they claim it's necessary to close down x thousand acres due to motorised recreation and we can show that their numbers are completely out of whack in comparison to the claims they're making, it helps to weaken their case.

This also puts pressure on them to demonstrate that the habitat of the endangered whatever - a common tactic in closing access - really is under threat from motorised access. If we can show exactly where we wheel, the burden of proof is now upon them to demonstrate that we're a danger to whatever plant or species it is they claim we're destroying. Since their 'studies' tend to be done in small areas of broadly-defined regions, this again weakens their arguments if their study areas are nowhere near the areas people enjoy.

One other benefit: making legal routes clear. There are a number of places I've heard of I'd like to go to, but don't know how they actually run. Having this data in my GPS (Google Earth is stupidly simple to convert) before setting out would be awesome so that I'm not running off the marked trail and onto someone's property or into a closed area.

Just a few thoughts. Like I said, I agree with you that it could potentially be used against us, but it could also give us some damn good ammo of our own.

As casm had mentioned this can be a great tool on many levels. I never thought of the points he made about the trail closers, but that is also a great point.

I am familiar with the inventorying of OHV trails by the National Forest Service, and the result of this is many open areas will now be restricted. As Weasel mentioned they propose to have maps out around 2009. Well first off thats two years away and it is not my goal to replace those maps but to provide better access to them and to improve upon them.

Currently the BLM and Forest Service sites are inconsistant with the information they provide, some already have good maps but others hardly have directions to the main gate; let alone trail maps, pictures and descriptions. I don't see this changing anytime.

Think about if you wanted to find a new place to go wheel, right now you have to think of and find the State, BLM, Forest Service, or private area and then find their website or phone number and find out if they even allow jeeps, let alone what the trials are like. This is counter intuitive. It would make sense to me to look at a map that provides all locations to wheel, click on it, check out some pics, maps, including BLM, Forest service, and USGS maps, and be linked to their site.

I just thought is was a better way to access information.

Oceano Dunes OHV area, CA
Hollister Hills OHV area, CA

nekocopter said:
I'll try to find Browns Camp on Google Earth..

Looks like I got it already, although you may want to make sure it is in the right place. Thanks for the help. Click my link a few post back for my Google Earth points if you havn't already.

My backyard....one advantage to living in the middle of nowhere, we've got mountains all around the house and there's some good canyons and gulches and hills to climb.

Back