• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did your AW4 break? Or did it?

I a few years ago an oil change place put chrysler atf in mine once. It started slipping and not shifting right. I had them dump it and put dexron in. It has been fine ever since. about 215k on my 88 aw4.

KH

The day I bought my Cherokee the guy tried to tell me that he'd installed a "special transmission" that was made to slip in second gear for "Offroad Purposes"...

SO, my AW4 hasn't had a 2nd gear since I bought it 5 years ago.
:)

The day I bought my Cherokee the guy tried to tell me that he'd installed a "special transmission" that was made to slip in second gear for "Offroad Purposes"...

SO, my AW4 hasn't had a 2nd gear since I bought it 5 years ago.
:)

lol. Did he say anything about the "Performance Offroad Smell" it puts off?

that was made to slip in second gear for
=============================
Had a few of them over the years. LOL

140,000 miles bolted to the 4.0 w/o any service.

65,000 miles bolted to a 4.6 stroker w/o any service.

Probably time to change that factory transmission fluid after 205,000 miles.

nearly 194K, never had an issue with the trans itself. a rubber cooler line was old and cracked blew off leaked out about 6qts of fluid, wouldnt even move at that point. replaced fluid, replaced line and all is well again. just occassional fluid changes. but on the highway i use 3 fairly often with my 33's and stock gears. i keep the slipping to a minimum. and since i have a 90, i have the power/comfort switch, whch i keep in comfort mode, and eliminates even more slipping of the TC.

comfort mode actually makes it slip MORE during shifts. Power mode shifts harder and thus the clutches slip less during the shift.

Keeping it in 3 is a very good idea though, it keeps the TCU from second guessing itself constantly and shifting back and forth from overdrive to 3rd. If you could lock the trans into overdrive it'd be fine, but more gutless acceleration-wise obviously. For a '90 all you'd have to do for an overdrive lock-in is a DPST switch to turn off power to both solenoids, just stick the lever in D and flip the switch and it'll stay in overdrive.

hmmmm it feels as though in power mode it shifts later, making the TC slip longer at more RPM. whereas in comfort it shifts earlier at lower RPM, with seemingly less slipping going on. i feel like it is better, guess not. also in power and D, if it needs to downshift, it seems like it is all TC slipping and not really locking into 3 as it does in comfort. if any of that makes sense. i guess the effects of the switch are just counterintuitive to me. i dont know a lot about how automatic transmission work.

I lost mine at about 225k about 6 months after I tried to drive up over a pass at fwy speeds with 33's and stock 3.55 gears. Severely overheated teh tranny. got it home, regeared it to 4.10, then towed a trailer from socal to Colorado with the back loaded up too. 4 months after the towing, the trans left me stuck on the side of the highway. I got it with 210k on it tho, so I have no idea how it was treated before I got it, I do know, however that it had a bad t-case when I got it, so it may have been abused.

oh, and did I say I didn't have an extra tranny cooler for the pass and the towing? .:doh:.

Back