• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel offset question

Cisco Kid

NAXJA Forum User
Got a wheel question guys. I am looking at possibly buying some steel wheels to put on my 98 XJ but there really isn't anything out there that is somewhat close to stock backspacing. Would I have trouble with a 15 x 7 wheel with only 4 1/2" with 235/75/15's? How about 4 1/4" rear spacing with the same tire? I've been searching locally for some factory wheels but haven't found anything as of yet. My Jeep currently has a 2 1/2" lift with 31's (has 17" Centerline wheels) that I may be removing just to try and get rid of these dang driveline vibrations. So the question above would be pertaining to stock height Jeep. Thanks for any help guys and yes I did search before asking.

there shouldn't be any problems with either 4.5" or 4.25" backspacing... just that your tires will be out an inch further on either side than with a stock wheel. factory backspacing for XJ wheels is typically around 5-5.25". Wheels shouldn't give you any driveline vibes, unless the tires are way out of balance or something.

I just didn't know if 4.25 would put the tire out far enough to rub on the flares at stock height. This Jeep is my daily so it's not going to see much if any time offroad.

It'll look goofy, IMO, but shouldn't rub.

After reviewing my question, I guess I should clarify that I am considering taking the lift off as well as the 31" tires. The way I worded it made it sound like I would only be taking the tires off which really wouldn't solve the problem. :doh: So the question would be, at stock ride height would I have any issues with wheels that only have 4.5" of backspacing?

Lift back to stock? Hell no, get an SYE and those vibes will probably go away! Have you tried removing the rear driveshaft and driving in 4x4 (front wheel drive) to see if the vibes go away?

No, I have not tried that yet. Another reason for going back to stock is not having to haul around a 31" spare inside the Jeep. My wife is due to have our first child any day now and having the extra room in the back is going to be a necessity. Yes I could buy a rear bumper with the tire carrier but that is alot more money than I am willing to spend right now.

Back