• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats this XJ worth? And 2wd to 4wd...

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of a friend is selling this 89 Cherokee Limited. Interior is shot, seats are no good, no radio, does have tilt column which really threw me for a loop seeing how Ive owned 6 Cherokee's and never had one with a tilt column lol. Anyways, dana 30 welded, 8.8 rear welded, 3.55 gears, s-10 rear springs, nice interior cage, and 34" LTB's with I would say 70ish% tread left on them. Motor is HO out of a 95 and runs strong. Seems to shift in and out of 4x4 fine, heard transmission has some issues but drove it yesterday and couldn't replicate this. Body is beat to hell, a window isn't going back in it unless the top gets replaced, and this has already been done once lol

So with that said whats it worth? I don't wanna hurt the guys feelings but thought I could cut it up and wheel it for a little while until either I can find a nicer 4x4 xj or swap over a 2wd to 4wd. All Im going to use are tires, axles and case.

Basically gonna rob what parts I can use and scrap the rest...

With that said, when doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion, do I have to swap out the transmissions or is there a block off plate of some type that comes off the transmissions in the 2wd xj's that allows the t-case to bolt up?

I second that considering you will have to either roll with welded diffs or regear and get new carriers. Really depends on what you are willing to accept. The motor, tcase, and wheels would be worth 1k at the most

That's what I was thinking, the 800-1k area.

Just wanted some other opinions before I made the offer. And like you say I'm only offering that because of the tires, don't really want welded diffs but it'll get the job done for now...

Any feedback on doing the 2wd to 4wd swap? Done a little bit of reading, seems straight forward, however one thing Im not clear on is do I have to swap out the AW4's or is there a block off plate on the 2wd AW4 that you can remove and simply bolt the tcase to it?

Transmission output shafts are different. It is much easier to swap in a 4wd transmission.

Don't forget all the shifter linkage stuff and dealing with any differences in the wiring plugs.

We swapped a 2wd to a 4wd on the Rusty build here at my place. It was done in a day but we had a ton of people working on it.

Transmission output shafts are different. It is much easier to swap in a 4wd transmission.

Don't forget all the shifter linkage stuff and dealing with any differences in the wiring plugs.

We swapped a 2wd to a 4wd on the Rusty build here at my place. It was done in a day but we had a ton of people working on it.

Thanks!

Ive been told you could cut the 2wd output shaft down and bolt up the case adapter. I have not personally tested this.

I wouldnt pay any more than 600. Anything better than scrap value and the seller is doing well

Ive been told you could cut the 2wd output shaft down and bolt up the case adapter. I have not personally tested this.

I wouldnt pay any more than 600. Anything better than scrap value and the seller is doing well

Not looking good, he's setting firm at $1200 and I just don't see it lol

Oh well it was worth the try!

Back