• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the Scoop on the burn???

Is chaining Scott to their cars really a good idea? Is it? Cause im all for it!!

i-support-this-post.thumbnail.jpg

Attached please find the DNR's 15-page response to the judicial challenge that was filed on July 11, 2012 in regards to the Yacolt Burn Recreation Plan.

This response was filed with Clark County Superior Court on August 27, 2012. I spent most of this morning reviewing the response to the challenge and I feel pretty good about the manner in which DNR is handling this complaint. As I've always suspected, everyone crossed the t's and dotted the i's throughout the entire process so it makes defending the process easier in situations such as this one.

In this world of instant gratification, I know that everyone likes things to happen quickly. Our patience runs out and we get frustrated more easily and can sometimes lose interest if we don't have anything tangible to dig into. Doing things the right way takes time - if we had taken any shortcuts over the past 5 years - we would really be in a pickle right now. Everything happens for a reason...

I would like to thank everyone who has continued to support us through this entire process. Current club members, family, the off-road community, the non-motorized community, the vendors and the sponsors. Special thanks to our motorized partners on this project, the Jones Creek Trail Riders - we would be flying solo without their cooperation and years of experience working in the Yacolt Burn.

I would also like to thank the DNR Pacific Cascade Region staff for taking the time to teach us the processes so that we can have a better understanding of how things work. That is valuable information that we can apply to any future projects that we might work on with government agencies.

And thanks to the DNR staff for acknowledging that 4-wheeling is not a crime, that 4-wheelers are responsible stewards of the land and that we should not be denied access to the public lands in the state of Washington. One should not be judged or discriminated against based simply on their recreation of choice.

Thank you again to all contributors to this project - your efforts are appreciated by us all...

I will post updates as they become available.

Crystal

This link will take you back to the Pistons Wild Forum. Please let it down load from there is your interested in reading about it. It was much easier for me to do it this way then it was uploading it to NAXJA.

Attachment: 00002.pdf (901.8 KB)

I will keep you informed with any new info I find on the burn.

More info that Mike Aimes shared with Pistons Wild today. Just wanted to pass it along.

" I've been talking to the lawyer from the Washington State Attorney Generals office who is representing the DNR in this matter. He is a very nice guy and has done a great job putting all the legal stuff into layman's terms for me.

What I've gathered is that this response is simply part of the process. The whole matter will likely go to trial sometime in the Spring of 2013 and hopefully the judge will rule on it sometime shortly thereafter. Assuming the DNR prevails and barring an appeal to a higher court that would be the end of this matter. So the earliest we can expect this to be resolved would be late Spring or early summer of 2013. If the DNR loses (and has to appeal) or Blythe and her GPTF friends wish to appeal there is no telling how long this might last.

As far as new trail building goes at this point there is no legal reason we cannot begin building once the DNR and the engineering contractors get through the county permitting process. There is however an agreement in this lawsuit with which the DNR agrees to give Blythe (and the GPTF) 21 days notice before they begin building. It is likely that the plaintiffs will file for an injunction to stop the new trails building once the DNR gives them notice that they intend to start building new trails. Whether they are successful in getting that injunction depends on many things. If the injunction is filed just weeks before the case is scheduled to go to trial...they would be likely to get it as a few weeks would have little effect on the over all situation. If the injunction is filed several months before the case goes to trail it is less likely the judge would justify an injunction. As a glimmer of hope if the DNR and the engineering group can get through the permitting process soon, there is a slim possibility that we may be able to do some trail building before the case goes to trial. Based on past experience I would say that is a pretty slim chance.

Our local DNR staff is doing a great job of moving this along, but they are now dealing with Clark County...which apparently has no idea how to deal with any of this. Right now the DNR is having to explain to the county why the new bridges have no reason to be rated to support emergency vehicles (fire trucks). If you ever see a fire truck traveling down a short wheelbase 4X4 trail please take picture...

So that's about all I have for now."

I will keep you informed if I hear more. If you have any questions post up or PM me.

Back