• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the biggest gun you've ever fired?

I'll see your M79/M203 and raise you one Mk19. That was the most fun in a weapon I've had the pleasure of shooting. Belt-fed, fully automatic 40mm grenade machine gun. :)

I'll see your M79/M203 and raise you one Mk19. That was the most fun in a weapon I've had the pleasure of shooting. Belt-fed, fully automatic 40mm grenade machine gun. :)

and no gun duty cycle to boot

Pistol: .500 SW mag
Rifle: .375 H&H
Shotgun: 3 1/2" magnum 12 gauge
Machine gun: M249 (belt fed .308)

I may be in the military but I don't get to play with any of the cool toys

Lets break it down by category: pistol, rifle, and a separate category for military.(either been on the gun crew or pulled the trigger.)

Anybody ever fire a pistol over .50cal?

How about a really big rifle. One of the old express cartridges, or the old bore gauge elephant rifles?

What about a naval gun or an artillery piece machine guns or anything "weird"?

My answers are:
pistol - .50AE desert eagle(yes, a desert eagle )
rifle - .50BMG Barrett M-99.

Military:
M2 machine gun, .50BMG belt fed
M30 4.2in mortar.
120mm mortar.(once on the crew)

I've gone up to .500 S&W Magnum for handfuns. (no, not a typo!)
I've fired rifles up through .50BMG (Barrett M82A1. WANT.)
I've fired up through a 10ga SxS
And, I have played around quite a bit with M79 & M203 (rated "Expert" on both.)

Most "interesting" experience was helping a buddy sight in a bolt & magazine .375 Holland & Holland - he was a beefy fella, and had a towel folded in between the buttstock and his shoulder (which screwed up his aim.) I was wearing just a tank top, and fired off about a dozen shots before I got him in place.

Then, I told him to get rid of the towel, because it was screwing him up.

I had a reverse imprint of the Pachmayr butt pad in my shoulder for a week - it showed up after the second shot, which is what allowed me to get a consistent stock weld (I could feel if it was in the same place or not, now.)

.454 Casul
.460 Weatherby Magnum

Does a 155mm Howitzer count?
It's refered to as a gun.

Ya, that's the biggest for me.
155mm HE charge 7 white bag.

Does a 155mm Howitzer count,..
I count it.

M-109?

I'm curious about the "7 white bag" charge. What's the maximum charge? Is the bag color something to do with different types of propellent?

Re: Re: What's the biggest gun you've ever fired?

I count it.

M-109?

I'm curious about the "7 white bag" charge. What's the maximum charge? Is the bag color something to do with different types of propellent?

M109A6

There are 3 color codes for propellent charges.
Green - low elevation & distance
white - medium elevation & distance
Red - max elevation & distance

** Not me in the video. But what I'm talking about.
I used to shoot mortars. I'm familiar with the multiple charge concept. 'Mainly curious about the color code and charge bag number.. With mortars the projectiles come prepackaged with a maximum charge(only one flavor) and you cut it down to whatever your desired charge for range/elevation.

The m2 Is fun

The mk19 is really fun

MK19 is cool but you don't really feel it like an M2.

Pistol: S&W 500
Rifle: m14
Machine gun: 240b
Crew served
M2 <3
Mk19

Machine gun: M249 (belt fed .308)

I may be in the military but I don't get to play with any of the cool toys

M249 is 5.56 (.223)

Then maybe it was an M240? It's was almost 10 years ago, memory's a little fuzzy.

Possibly M240b is much bulkier has some pretty distinct differences.
You wouldn't want to shoot a 240b standing up.

Back