• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the biggest gun you've ever fired?

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Lets break it down by category: pistol, rifle, and a separate category for military.(either been on the gun crew or pulled the trigger.)

Anybody ever fire a pistol over .50cal?

How about a really big rifle. One of the old express cartridges, or the old bore gauge elephant rifles?

What about a naval gun or an artillery piece machine guns or anything "weird"?

My answers are:
pistol - .50AE desert eagle(yes, a desert eagle )
rifle - .50BMG Barrett M-99.

Military:
M2 machine gun, .50BMG belt fed
M30 4.2in mortar.
120mm mortar.(once on the crew)

"Biggest" or most "powerful"?

Pistol:
AK-47, 7.62x39mm
Rifle:
Weatherby Vanguard .338 Winchester Magnum

Military:
M79 40mm
3.5 in Rocket launcher
M60 7.62x51mm

The -79 was phased out by the time I rolled through. I carried an M-203. Didn't count it because the mortars all kind of out-classed it.

Strangely, it's about the only shoulder fired weapon I didn't enjoy shooting.

I don't know about the military stuff but a Browning 10ga Sure has one hell one hell of a kick when your 12.
A 10ga kicks when you're 40.

Civilian weapon, my granddad had an old double-barrel 4 guage duck gun. On the military side, I got to shoot an 8-inch self-propelled a few times (I was on 105mm howitzer but was driving an instructor around for a week and he arranged it). M-60 was fun and the Browning M-2 .50 Machine Gun rocks. The biggest I have at home is a Winchester M-1917 in .30-06, a 1934 Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30 in 7.62x54R and an old Lee-Enfield in .303 British.

Pistol...44 mag, but a 30 Herrett in a Contender is quick

Rifle... 45-70, 400g at about 2100fps you know when it go,s off
338 Win Mag will get your attention
Never in Military but did shoot an M1 Carbine as a kid

50 cal ML but thats not a real kicker.

45-70, 400g at about 2100fps you know when it goes off.
I loaded up some 410g up to about 1900 f/s(book estimate) to torch off from a Marlin guide gun. It is a bit of a wake up call out of a 7lb rifle.

scottmphoto: not to make you feel old, but how long ago did you shoot that 8" piece? I've never heard of an 8" SP gun. 155mm and 165mm, yes, but an 8"? What is that, 205mm?

Last edited:
Thats out of a Ruger #1,,the short one not the 26"bbl one.

I shoot a 30mm that shoots wherever I look. Not as awesome as the A-10 30mm though.

I used to own a S&W 500 long barrel aka "The hunter" Not very practical, but I do miss it.
Also, been able to shoot a .50 Desert eagle.

I was younger, so I dont remember what gauge, but I've gotten to shoot a couple old elephant rifles and such.

I got to shoot the 8" SP in 1996. I think that just the National Guard had them at the time because the regular army had phased them out. I had just finished school for the 105mm's and they asked for volunteers to drive some instructors around. I didn't have to do anything but drive for a week solid. I did get to play OP4 and pop gas on the students though. Pulling the lanyard on an 8" and having the breech kick back less than a foot from your leg was crazy. I'm 42, by the way.

Pistol: S&W Anaconda 44mag w/wooden, ridge-backed open grips. Bite my hand like a SOB.

Rifle: Nitro Express 700. Cost me $40.00 a damn shot. This was before the ammo shortage. Can't imagine what the munitions are going for now.

Back