• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the best header for a XJ and question on backpressure.

you all gave some pretty good arguments.. but honestly a lot of the advice kid of controdicts others.

Some of you said that the more open your exhaust system the more hp you would have, but you would see a reduction in torque.. while others said you would gain both with a less restrictive system..

I currently run a flowmaster 40 with custom bent tailpipe 2.5" i think it is. and a highflow aftermarket cat... the front of the system is all OEM.

So i want an definite answer here... if i were to put a less restrictive header on there would i be gaining hp? gaining torque? or loosing one for the other>????

I can go out and buy a OEM replacement for much cheeper than a highflow header.

ALSO has anyone ever noticed the huge kink that comes OEM in the 96 (maybe other years too) so the frontpipe doesn't make contact with the front axle?? I am going to get ride of that when i replace the header...

Any idea if this is a backpressure thing or if it is a clearance thing???
The pipe seriously is bent in to 50% and i have seen it on other jeeps too.. i first thought i had bent it myself till i saw it other places...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82969

I just read this thread . and I guess the one i started here sounds kind of dumb now.. read this if anyone wants to know the relationship of hp./torque/ and backpressure..

funny how they talked about kids and the highflow thinking they would get more hp but only would work if they had a turbo... i never new this.. makes my old 94 prelude Si with the 2.3L and highflow exhaust look pretty stupid.

ALSO how they lowered the peak torque on the 96 XJ by 1000 rpm is quite intersting.

So now i would love to know the IDEAL setup for MAX balanced torque/hp on a 1996 XJ

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82969

I just read this thread . and I guess the one i started here sounds kind of dumb now.. read this if anyone wants to know the relationship of hp./torque/ and backpressure..

funny how they talked about kids and the highflow thinking they would get more hp but only would work if they had a turbo... i never new this.. makes my old 94 prelude Si with the 2.3L and highflow exhaust look pretty stupid.

ALSO how they lowered the peak torque on the 96 XJ by 1000 rpm is quite intersting.

So now i would love to know the IDEAL setup for MAX balanced torque/hp on a 1996 XJ

I went with the mopar performance header for my 92. down tube was built into the header,no kink,no restrictions. I also went with 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back to the flowmaster muffler. I also did the late model intake upgrade with bored throttle body,spacer,and CAI. I noticed a definite difference in power!! I am running 30x9.5 mud tires and when the motor was stock,I couldn't hardly ever use 5th gear. I now climb the same hills I used to have to down shift for and then have to have it floored to get to the top. my jeep now climbs those hills without me having to downshift and only a little more throttle input. I know all the mods probably didn't total more than 20 added horsepower,but it sure feels like more!! I am very happy with the way my jeep runs now:)

XJ96Classic said:
you all gave some pretty good arguments.. but honestly a lot of the advice kid of controdicts others.

Some of you said that the more open your exhaust system the more hp you would have, but you would see a reduction in torque.. while others said you would gain both with a less restrictive system..

I currently run a flowmaster 40 with custom bent tailpipe 2.5" i think it is. and a highflow aftermarket cat... the front of the system is all OEM.

So i want an definite answer here... if i were to put a less restrictive header on there would i be gaining hp? gaining torque? or loosing one for the other>????

I can go out and buy a OEM replacement for much cheeper than a highflow header.

ALSO has anyone ever noticed the huge kink that comes OEM in the 96 (maybe other years too) so the frontpipe doesn't make contact with the front axle?? I am going to get ride of that when i replace the header...

Any idea if this is a backpressure thing or if it is a clearance thing???
The pipe seriously is bent in to 50% and i have seen it on other jeeps too.. i first thought i had bent it myself till i saw it other places...
A less restrictive header on your setup might increase horsepower at wide open throttle but would reduce your low end torque. The torque is needed more than a couple of extra HP IMHO.

Back