• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's my stroked XJ worth?

jeepinwi

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to move on to a little bit bigger vehicle. We just sold my wife's 00 XJ and now I might sell my XJ. I'm trying to figure out what a good selling price would be. The Jeep is a 99 Cherokee SE, 2 door, 5 speed, 4wd, CC, A/C, 4.6L stroker with 28k miles, matching tires at 95%, 2" receiver hitch, and a very nice looking exterior. Interior is clean. The Jeep has 125k miles on it, and the body is nearly rust free. KBB says the Jeep is only worth $2300. What do you think a good asking price would be?

1999XJ.jpg

holy sleeper. that's clean.

4000 obo, but 3 is more realistic. Being a two door, SE, and the 5 Speed bring you down. But the condition and stroker might get you that. Newer Two Doors are rare, as is the 5 Speed. But it's gonna take an actual XJ enthusiast to know that and be looking for it.

Thanks guys. It is just as clean on the inside. It definitely is a sleeper, and I've stayed ahead of a 350z until 80 mph. When it comes time to sell it, I'll be listing it on all the major Jeep forums. I'm gonna start with a high asking price and gradually lower my acceptable price. The beauty of it is, I don't need the money and my wife and I will be getting a V8 WJ before it's sold. I think I'll find a buyer who will offer what I think it's really worth.

nice jeep. i woulda put out 3.5-4k for that easily. i got a 4door automatic 2000 model for 5k from a dealer. i would have prefered the stick, 2 door, and extra cash for some mods

his pretty much stock like that, with the 5 spd, 23-24 mpg would not surprise me.

I get 20-21 with 33's and my 4.7.

it really depends on how you drive it too. The stroker makes enough torque down low to where it takes nothing to get started. But if you hammer on it a lot (like the first week after I broke 800mi on mine) you can get the mileage down to grass height...

My fuel mileage has been 19-20 mpg on the highway. I am convinced this could be improved upon with some type of piggyback computer to adjust the air/fuel mixture.

The worst mileage I've seen was 14.5 mpg towing 2 jetskis into a headwind at 70 mph. I never had to downshift out of 5th gear the whole 200 miles home.

I wouldn't sell my 96 w/ 4.6 stroker for less than 5K--that's how much it means to me being my first engine build(and it cost $2500 for the build). I've smoked a g35 coupe before all the way up to 100(he let off), so I know the feeling. Less weight, ~same HP, more torque, but unfortunately more drag(so somewhere north of 100 they'd catch up). Those FXs are easy targets cause they think they got you before it starts. I agree that a true Jeep enthusiast will be willing to pay top dollar.

Last edited:
The bad thing about mods is that you dont get much return for your money. I had my Jeep estimated for some accident damage a while ago and when I told him about the stroker he said be careful with modding old cars because youll only see around 30 cents on the dollar. As awesome as those in the know believe a stroker to be, selling wouldnt add much more to the price. That is, however, a nice rare combonation. If I was looking for one I would pay around 4-5k for it because of the stroker. 5k+ might turn me away, or make me think you thought it was hotter than what it really is, like those people who think their stroker has 350hp.

Now that the wife's XJ is finally sold, I got my Jeep washed today. Scrubbed off the fly crap and road tar, and it cleaned up really well. I decided to pull out the back carpet to give it a good cleaning...it was a little grungy. Hopefully by next week I'll have it ready for sale.

Last edited:
wow that's cool...first mod was a stroker...cool! I'd put some Wrangler Canyons on that and some decent tires and just surprise a lot of people.

Back