• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats better than a Cherokee sized Dana 44 for $200...

I hate you....

ARB is pretty cool about taking care of their customers. You should give them a call or send them an email. They may have already figured out solutions to the problems you are worried about. While you are at it, you should purchase one of their diff covers with the money you saved.

Yeah, I was actually on their site looking at the Diff Cover they offer, and it looks pretty stout.

This is not a true statement. I run both front and rear air lockers from the arb compressor. It runs for 7 seconds when I hit the switch and about 3 seconds when I turn both lockers on and off. In a whole day of wheeling, it might turn on by itself 2 or 3 times. It's usually running more because I leave them open unless I need the axles locked up, so I'm turning them on and off all the time.

Volume in a storage tank has nothing to do with pressure required to actuate the lockers.

you need some amount of volume to keep the compressor from cycling too much, especially if there's even a small leak. My air system (converted A/C) has enough volume in the large air lines running all over the jeep that I can leave my tank shut off and run the ARB just fine. But if you only have a couple small diameter air lines I'd plumb in a 1/2 or 1 gallon tank somewhere.

As said before valve style doesn't matter as long as it gets pressure to the locker, just be sure to put a decent pressure regulator in there. The ARB is designed to run 90-115 psi if I remember right, most air systems will reach 125, mine goes up to 145. So I put a regulator just before the solenoid so the locker stays constant at 110 psi.

dear God... you need to head to the casinios

Bad suggestion, I think he's used up about a years worth of good luck on this

Last edited:
Sounds like a solution to a problem I don't have. Introducing a tank adds volume to the system. Great if you want to run air tools. You need CFM for something that vents air overboard during it's operation.

My system doesn't leak. I wouldn't introduce more fittings and line so that I had more potential leak points if there isn't anything wrong with the way it runs to start with. You assume that the compressor runs all the time to keep the pressure in the lines and lock the locker. In reality, it runs at the beginning and once or twice while I'm wheeling because nothing is perfect.

If he wants to plumb the compressor directly to the lockers, it's designed to work like that. If he wants to put a storage tank in, it will work like that too. But neither option is better than the other. Putting a tank in just complicates a system designed to work in the first place.

This is not a true statement. I run both front and rear air lockers from the arb compressor. It runs for 7 seconds when I hit the switch and about 3 seconds when I turn both lockers on and off. In a whole day of wheeling, it might turn on by itself 2 or 3 times. It's usually running more because I leave them open unless I need the axles locked up, so I'm turning them on and off all the time.

Volume in a storage tank has nothing to do with pressure required to actuate the lockers.

So if you don't have a tank, what exactly do you think the silver cannister on top of your ARB compressor is?

If he wants to plumb the compressor directly to the lockers, it's designed to work like that. If he wants to put a storage tank in, it will work like that too. But neither option is better than the other. Putting a tank in just complicates a system designed to work in the first place.

This is only true if he buys an ARB compressor, all other compressors (that I'm aware of) would benefit greatly from some sort of storage tank.

Back