• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats a good Battery for winching

The side terminals arent intended for much load; those are for a stereo amp or some lights - you need to start the rig off of the top still.

I've been running a red top optima since 2003, and I've probably got 40 hours of winching on it. No problems yet.

When it dies, an odyssey will go in its place (or the sears rebrand of it).

The side terminals arent intended for much load; those are for a stereo amp or some lights - you need to start the rig off of the top still.

I've been running a red top optima since 2003, and I've probably got 40 hours of winching on it. No problems yet.

Why the switch to the Odyssey if the Optima has been good for you?I have friends who have them, and they work great, but no better than (at least from what I can tell) an Optima. I know they are considerably smaller, but they are also considerably more expensive. Just curious why you are heading that direction.

I thought about running two odyssey's when I was setting up my dual batt system, simply because they would be easier to install since they are smaller, but couldnt get over the price/benefit. Maybe I am missing something?

~James

Why the switch to the Odyssey if the Optima has been good for you?I have friends who have them, and they work great, but no better than (at least from what I can tell) an Optima. I know they are considerably smaller, but they are also considerably more expensive. Just curious why you are heading that direction.

The new optimas arent as good as the old ones, and i wouldnt be going smaller - I'd go to a pc1500; which is much more powerful.

I run a yellow top optima.

Side terminals are not as strong as the top terminals but are handy... For GM owners.

The difference between a deep cycle and a starting battery is simple: A starting battery has a lower internal resistance so it can dump out more power faster. A deep cycle battery is designed to store more energy to drain out slower. The PHYSICAL difference is in the plates - A starting battery has many small plates while a deep cycle has fewer, but THICKER plates. Basically this means that there is more lead, but less surface area contacting the electrolyte. Bigger channels between plates means less buildup of..whatever builds up in there that kills batteries. Calcium..or whatever it is.

Not sure how optima does their coil cell style set up and how it works, but they are good for deep cycle AND starting. BLUE top would be the BEST choice for wheelers - just look at the stats on the optima web site, not much diff between a blue and yellow besides some basic stats and vibration resistance...oh and the accessory screw type post on the top as well.

Correction: Optimas sold at Costco arn't as good as Optimas sold at everywhere else for more money ;)

Thats true, but the ones you buy direct or from battery vendors arent as good as the ones you bought 5 years ago.

I'm still running my 2003 optima. 2006 optimas are already failing.

(I don't shop at costco, nor do the peeps I know).

My 91 had a red top in it from 2002-2007 and I winched a good bit with it. What finally killed it was sitting in the Jeep for 6 months without being used while I took my sweet time doing an axle swap and t'case work.

Yellow top in the current XJ and it has held up great. When it dies either another Yellow or a Walmart marine will go in depending on budget.

Most of this has been said before.
1. A red top is a great battery for a daily driver, occasional winching and other high current opperations (lights, stereo, starting, winch, etc).

2. I switched to a yellow top when my Jeep was no longer my daily driver. I winch much more often than I used to, I have more lights, And it only drives on the trail. The red top just couldn't handle not being "used" on a regular basis where as the yellow top never needs a charge even if the jeep sits for over a month between uses.

3. Perfect option would be a dual battery set up, 1 starting battery (red) for most items, and 1 deep cycle (yellow) for winch, lights etc.

I run everything off of the top posts on my yellow top and it doesn't have any space constraints.

Michael

Ahh i see so i'll stilll run my starter to the top posts and my lights and stereo equipment(not much right now) to the side terminals! :cheers: I may spend the extra money(20 bucks) and get the sears re-brand of the odyssey!

Last edited:
I had one of the early red-tops from about 1996-2006, with occaissional winching in the last 5 years. Needless to say, I was very satisfied with the life I got out of that battery. I replaced it with a Blue-Top with the light grey (deep cycle) case. So far it's working fine. I think the threaded mounts on the top are a lot more appropriate for heavy loads than the side posts on the Yellow-Top. However, the last time I looked on the optima site, the only battery they will warranty in a whinch application is the Yellow-Top, and only if the winch is hooked to the top posts. Right now, in the XJ I am using the Deka Intimidator 9A34M dual-purpose AGM battery that Bass-Pro Shops sells.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/default.aspx?pageid=163

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/1143.pdf

It's doing very well so far also :)

Last edited:
Like I said, I've got a RedTop. It is dual terminal.

I run everything off of the top terminals. I used the marine terminals and it was fairly simple. It's a spiderweb of wires and cables, but it works.

..And he's only had it for six months!
:D Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk

The new optimas arent as good as the old ones, and i wouldnt be going smaller - I'd go to a pc1500; which is much more powerful.

The thing with optima is they lost their ass recently and moved the manufacturing plant to Mexico where all of the batteries that are coming from there are likely to have a 25% failure rate.

I work for Exide and out batteries are of course kicking ass compared to Optima's.

So... one in four chance your new Optima will have to be returned for failure. Maybe you'll get a Rotate, one that has been sent back and forth from the Manufacture to the store for a charge and was not made in Mexico.
Or maybe you'll buy an Exide Orbital or Purple Haze and have a 3% failure rate!

I have an old style Red top. I've been running the Superwinch off the side terminals for quite a few hard pulls with no issues:dunno:

I'll admitt to not knowing any better. I guess it helps that the winch draws low amps.

I have an old style Red top. I've been running the Superwinch off the side terminals for quite a few hard pulls with no issues:dunno:

I'll admitt to not knowing any better. I guess it helps that the winch draws low amps.

<shrug> my girlfriend runs her warn off of the side posts on her redtop.. That doesn't say much since we haven't had to USE it since then! Heh. She had it on the side posts on her old battery though for some nice pulls as well with no issues. (old battery just took a dump as old batteries do, not related)

I run the Blue top as well and I love it. I can run my lights (fog and high beams without the engine running) for hours and still have the kick to crank the old 87 Waggy. I do not do it often but sometimes the sun goes down befor the work day ends you know. Also the Blue top has the same cold cranking amps the Red top has and longer stow cap. 120 min I think.

The thing with optima is they lost their ass recently and moved the manufacturing plant to Mexico where all of the batteries that are coming from there are likely to have a 25% failure rate.

Is there some experience to the 25% failure rate you mention?

In all of my experience with production moving from the US to Mexico (many companies, many production lines) I have never seen anything but the failure rate get better!! I also know many major OEM companies that show the same experience.

Michael

Is there some experience to the 25% failure rate you mention?

In all of my experience with production moving from the US to Mexico (many companies, many production lines) I have never seen anything but the failure rate get better!! I also know many major OEM companies that show the same experience.

Michael

That's generally how it works..not always but generally. People in other countries tend to work really really hard to keep their jobs. Sometimes that results in many shoddy products, other times that results in good products.

Look at the Ford plants in the US vs argentina for instance. The Argentina plants produce top notch good quality cars (still a ford though) while the US plants are empty because the workers are all at the bar.

All i know is that they have a 36 free month replacement whereas the odyssey/Sears has 48 month free replacement and its only 20 bucks more!

Kinslayer you're dead on about shoddy products from other countries. We have a Recon plant in Mexico and when we send them matched parts a lot of times they send us back unmatched parts saying we sent them like that. They are out of their minds if they think i run Junk parts!

also for you guys with the XRC8's what did you do to get the fair lead mounted up. I was just thinking of sandwiching a piece of steel between the winch and backbone with two tabs bent up for the fairlead to mount to.

Back