• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year and model for 8.8 diff. with disc brakes???

Anyone ever reshim a tracloc. I met a guy on the trail that was running an 8.8, he said he reshimmed it to make it lock up. I never got to see it in acton but he had just ran some trails that would need both ends locked. I was just curious about it.

Gil BullyKatz said:
Actually...

I've seen a 94 with disks...

95's and newer for sure...

beware of the Ranger 8.8's... most had 28 (?) splines...

Good thing it's easy to tell the difference between drums and disks right?

:D

You are corect, disc's where an OPTION before '97, So unless you checked off, the tow package and discs on the spec sheet when you ordered it you did NOT get 31 splines untill '97. After that, have no worries, it had discs and 31 splines!!! ;)

red91inWA said:
Get one from a V-8 package. Carrier pin was larger than the V-6.

I needed 4:10 gears , I know it come out of a 6 cyl. , Dont know if the 8's had 4:10's.

Nevertheless, I done picked her up and its sitting in the back of the truck. Much more beefy than the 35.

The junk yard said it had 4:10's in it and that it came out of a 2000 model. Is there anyway to verify these things. It does have a factory sticker on it with some #'s and I believe there is a tag or two on the Diff.

This is a great board !!! thanks for all the help.

turn the axle...

If the driveshaft/pinion turns a touch over 4 times...

It'll be 4.10...

Or is it the other way around?

If you turn one side of the axle and the other side goes the opposite way...

Open diff...

If they both go the same direction...

Limited Slip

Gil BullyKatz said:
turn the axle...

If the driveshaft/pinion turns a touch over 4 times...

It'll be 4.10...

Or is it the other way around?

If you turn one side of the axle and the other side goes the opposite way...

Open diff...

If they both go the same direction...

Limited Slip

correct on the axle turning

there is so much BAD and INCORECT info in this thread....

holy jesus...

1- cross shaft is the same fawking size for all models... - hence the reason that the lunchbox lockers dont mention the cross shaft difference
2-all exploder rear ends had 31 splines on the axle shafts where the shaft meets the carrier
3-the Ranger rear end with DRUM BRAKES would be a 28 spline and is weaker and WAY narrower than the exploder rear end
4-1995 and newer had the discs (some 1994 - rare, near the end of the model year)
5-the tracklock is not worth a damn compared to the d35 tracklock - i would buy an open carrier and a aussielocker - well worth the 220 for the locker... and the junkyards want something like 150 more for the "locked" rear end and you cant lunchbox a limited slip carrier (at least i couldnt lunchbox my d35 tracklock - even with grinding and all that)
6-the more splines - (generaly) the bigger the shaft - this is true in the case of the 8.8
the 31 splines are 1.31" DIA - just like the ford 9" 31 spline shafts...
so the larger shaft with 31 splines would be stronger than the smaller 28 spline shaft. Also the 9" car version came with 28 splines and weaker (than the 31) shafts... see a ford trend?

7-the crysler 8.25 did have 2 different spline counts 27 and 29 - the 29 being the stronger setup...

for your next eppisode of myth busters -
draw your own conclusions

VegasAnthony said:
umm NO
you heard wrong

thanks - i missed that one

Check the tag on the bottom left of the diff. The bottom row of digits is the ratio, stamped on the left of the tag. It should say something like "3 73" or similar. If there is an "L" between the numbers, it is Limitedslip, no "L", no slip. have fun
Ren

Back