• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you want from a new Cherokee?

93xjcowboy

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of options and standard items would you like to see if jeep brought back the XJ? I know I have seen a few similar threads but they are mostly filled with people saying it will never happen and that it will suck w/o the 4.0. Obviously its not going to come back in the same exact form as it was in 2001 but if someone could actually keep them from ruining the simplicity and reliablilty of the XJ what would you want? Yes we all know that they wont bring back the 4.0 because of emissions.

Here is my list:
-Some form of small (3-4.5l) I6 Turbo Diesel option, preferably a new cummins engine I do not want to see a minivan engine engine designed for higher rpm performance.
-6 speed manual and a new reliable automatic
-8.25 rear standard D44 as an option, Maybe even a rubicon package with D44's front and rear
-An updated exterior that keeps the traditional XJ styling (not the 2500 front)

As mentioned have a rubicon package and maybe a package that takes it up a notch:
-Have options for a 4.5" lift, 33" tires, Front and Rear bumper/Tire rack with full size spare, upgraded steering and suspension for comfort/performance, maybe even a factory frame stiffener system

An interior with the more commonly added options while still keeping it simple and clean:
-A cleanly installed touch screen radio/gps option (with the option for offroad trails in the gps) or a nice CD/Radio with the standard options
-Work some gauges into the touch screen for anything you might want to monitor (trans temp....)
-Better speakers with an option for a factory sub
-Bring back the limited with power heated leather seats
-A good factory switch panel that allows for expansion for aftermarket items (winch, lights...)
-Factory mounting for a high quality flashlight
-Keep the T-case and transmission levers

-DOHC, cross flow 4.7L I6.. or a nice V8 option. 300+ HP. The 4.0L is nice, but it is dated.
-Rubicon or Overland package option.
-Dual clutch transmission
-stronger unibody, maybe some aluminum body panels to keep the weight down
-Limited package with all leather seats, not just this seating surface in leather nonsense.
-Some kind of touch screen nav/entertainment option would be nice, but OEMs usually fail in that department. How about just a hole in the dash to mount a 7" touch screen and a place to mount a carputer? I like the gauges idea too.
-Keep the standard switch gear. Don't replace it with the nav thing.
-A switch panel would be nice
-Less rattles
-A stock SYE with a 242 HD transfercase
-Same body style.
-How about an SRT6 version?

And for under $35,000. Pipe dream.

The new engine they have in the 2011 JK seems pretty good, wouldn't mind seeing that in a new Cherokee. Of course I'll always favor my 4.0

Keep it as mechanically and electronically simple and light as current federal laws allow and offer a stripper version with the "premium" drivetrain for those of us that don't need or want a rolling computer or that could be used for police/fleet use.

Use that new Pentastar motor, but maybe bump it up to 4.0l displacement.

Style it to look like a Liberty sized baby Grand Cherokee, but with vertical tail lights instead of the BMW X5 style ones.

Use the Suspension off the JK right down to the 5 on 5 lug pattern.

a solid front axle with a standard transmission and 2 door option.

To be completely honest if they had called the 4 door JK a Cherokee I would have done back flips, but I still think a 4 door wrangler is stupid.

Does anyone know if the XJ's frame is hydroformed? I don't think it is. A hydroformed, slightly thicker frame like the WJ's would be very nice. Other than that... TURBO DIESEL. And beef up all the link mounts, especially the trackbar mount. There's really not too much to complain about with the ole XJ :thumbup:

Gimme 200,000 miles out of a brand new XJ, and I will do the rest.

But in a perfect world, I would prefer that NO welded in nuts were used, especially in places like the front leaf spring bolt, and rear shock tops.

Does anyone know if the XJ's frame is hydroformed? I don't think it is. A hydroformed, slightly thicker frame like the WJ's would be very nice. Other than that... TURBO DIESEL. And beef up all the link mounts, especially the trackbar mount. There's really not too much to complain about with the ole XJ :thumbup:

Its not its press formed. I will try and find the video I saw it in.

edit I couldnt find it I must have seen it at school.

Last edited:
1. TURBO DIESEL.
2. Locked Dana 44s 4.11 F/R + a rear 60 with 4.56s as an option.
3. larger wheel well openings, Think Iceland offroad flair type setup.
4. Moabs & 33s from the factory.
5. A more Up to date comfortable interior, Think new Wrangler.
:cheers:

wouldnt want a NEW xj, the formula that made me a fan, was based on sub<$1000 vehicles.... I just cant thrash a $40k vehicle... period.

go ahead guys, sell your xj's and buy new shit, im happy with the old school stuff.

Frame, Pentastar JK motor, D44s and suitable gearing options, and round but otherwise retain the simple design and low cost.

Hmmm, that sounds like a smaller version of the JK.

Last edited:
New "XJ"
A few of these are mutually exclusive, as some wishes wouldn't be compatible with others:

Keep the size about the same as the old XJ.
Port the entire suspension over from the current JK.
Optional lockers, maybe re-badge the JK Rubicon package as the "Renegade" for the Chero.
Possible body-on-frame construction(why stick with unit-body, just shrink a JK frame)
Keep the old styling, maybe update/shrink the Commander styling, and get rid of the headlights. For that matter, knee-cap any engineer or marketer that even suggests $1000.00 headlights.(as in literally shoot them in the knees.)
OK, that turned into a rant,...

Really, the problem is the old XJ niche is pretty evenly split between the Liberty and the 4-door JK. Libs for the mall-crawlers, and JKs for,.. well, mostly other mall crawlers.( Jesus,.. these people don't even jeep-wave.)

solid axles and a real frame is all i would need

For all you guys wishing for a Frame on a Cherokee, remember that Pig
4 door Wrangler weights 1200 lbs+ more than your average XJ.
Thats 1200 Lbs I could live without.

Honestly a XJ is the nearest thing to perfection when it comes to a compact SUV. If it had the Rubicon axles/T-case with the AW4 tranny and about 3" taller than the factory made it then it would be perfection. I wouldn't be opposed to the Pentastar V-6 but I love the 4.0! If the Pentastar will run solid for 200-300k miles then I'm sold.

The Commander is very close, swap the IFS for a D-60 and the rear 8.25 for a D-60 and leave the rest of it alone! The XK is a very maneuverable mid size SUV and its still narrow enough to fit the trails easily. The Hemi is more power than you will ever need and the drive train is durable. The Commander feels like a XJ on steroids when you drive it. But once again, Jeep had a good thing going and ended it.

The JK needs a lower COG, My wifes stock JK Sahara has a higher roof line than my trail rig XJ on 5.5" lift and 35's. Thats what a frame does for ya though.

Back