• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you replace your XJ with?

I don't daily mine, so replacing it with something else would be another toy.

Like a bobbed deuce or a '30 model a.

What's with all this xterra talk? I've never seen one with a man driving.

not a big fan of xterras. ive been wheeling with a guy a few years older than since i got my first jeep.. he had one of the first xterras on 35s and was huge into the scene. he recently sold his JK on 33s and picked up a beater disco like i did. after the jeep he said he would never go back to a xterra.

Well. Your question depends on a lot of factors.

I'll assume it's a DD and stock (or close to) and not wheeled. If so, 4runner would be great. That 3.4L is unstoppable. Ford Escape is a great option too.

Well. Your question depends on a lot of factors.

I'll assume it's a DD and stock (or close to) and not wheeled. If so, 4runner would be great. That 3.4L is unstoppable. Ford Escape is a great option too.
I looked at Ford Escapes, not bad, but I thought the Liberty, about the same size, had better seats and it still had the good old fashioned New Process transfer case with a lever. It was hard as an old XJ advocate not to dump Jeep altogether, but one has to have a little flexibility sometimes.

Escapes are known for bad transmissions. Early ones had problems with the catafolds coming apart and clogging the 3rd cat. Xterras are notoriously under powered.

Escapes are known for bad transmissions. Early ones had problems with the catafolds coming apart and clogging the 3rd cat. Xterras are notoriously under powered.

Most FWD Ford products in general. Considering they use the same trans in most of their vehicles. It was no surprise to me, when my gf's 2008 Escape had the same demise @ about 120k. Something destroyed itself inside and wouldn't shift correctly.

I would replace my XJ with a nicely built MJ! haha.
For a stock powerplant I would go with a 2006 TJU-Rubicon with a GSO360.
Otherwise, possibly a ZJ/WJ with a 4.0L
Honestly, not much of a Chryco fan when it comes the powertrain.
XJ/MJ/TJ/ZJ/WJ with an Ls conversion would = so much win.

Most FWD Ford products in general. Considering they use the same trans in most of their vehicles. It was no surprise to me, when my gf's 2008 Escape had the same demise @ about 120k. Something destroyed itself inside and wouldn't shift correctly.

YJ or TJ, my XJ is just for fun, I miss not being able to take the top down and cruise under the stars.

YJ or TJ, my XJ is just for fun, I miss not being able to take the top down and cruise under the stars.

You could always ragtop it...
Souske has one.

Jeeps are dumb. I got rid of my last 2dr DD for my 12v Cummins. Does a great job pulling my trail rig around. Why waste small amounts of money on a jeep when you can waste large amounts on a diesel?!

Jeeps are dumb. I got rid of my last 2dr DD for my 12v Cummins. Does a great job pulling my trail rig around. Why waste small amounts of money on a jeep when you can waste large amounts on a diesel?!

This forum needs a "bro" smiley.

Back