• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would YOU like to see us do as a Chapter?

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
What would you like to see US as a CHAPTER do?

What ideas do you have in order to bring more people in, get those here more interested, etc.?

We in the BOD would like to get the chapter members more active, and the Chapter in general more active and more "out there" making sure people know about us (outside of NAXJA).

So, what do you think could help us "thrive" more as a Chapter?

Bringing some more funds in somehow would be great, allowing us more ability in M&G's, events, etc.

I've got some ideas I'd like to see off the bat:
1.) Monthly runs (during wheeling "season") - pick a trail to run every third week of the month (or something of that sort), and get them scheduled ahead of time.
2.) More M&G's, even if they're more "informal"
3.) Doing a couple-a-few Tech Days, backed by us
4.) Some better swag for a CO Chapter Store

So, we'd like to hear your (realistic) ideas, and how you'd like to see them done, how you think it could be accomplished, etc.

I think if we want to survive as a Chapter, and hopefully flourish some, we'll need not just the BOD's efforts, but the efforts of the club members here as well.

All of the ideas you present are great. We seem to be losing our sense of being a wheeling family and....actually wheeling.

Financially, things are simply tougher than they were 15 years ago when I started with NAXJA. We used to head to the mountains without thinking about the cost of gas and expenses, but those times are over. Luckily the cost of gas has fallen, but many of us get wrapped up in work and family. Rather than big multiday long distance trips, I think that more trips in the local areas, such as a Saturday afternoon loop would get people back in the habit. Maybe a trip where we leave after work on Friday, do a quick camp somewhere and return Saturday night. Maybe throw in a short fishing opportunity.

More regional informal leaders or groups might help. I definitely like local meet and greets, but we should also get together as a group every once in a while.

I like the local tech sessions where we show up to help someone with an issue but use it as a teaching opportunity for the new guys, and maybe share a couple of brews after the work is done.

All of the ideas you present are great. We seem to be losing our sense of being a wheeling family and....actually wheeling.

Financially, things are simply tougher than they were 15 years ago when I started with NAXJA. We used to head to the mountains without thinking about the cost of gas and expenses, but those times are over. Luckily the cost of gas has fallen, but many of us get wrapped up in work and family. Rather than big multiday long distance trips, I think that more trips in the local areas, such as a Saturday afternoon loop would get people back in the habit. Maybe a trip where we leave after work on Friday, do a quick camp somewhere and return Saturday night. Maybe throw in a short fishing opportunity.

More regional informal leaders or groups might help. I definitely like local meet and greets, but we should also get together as a group every once in a while.

I like the local tech sessions where we show up to help someone with an issue but use it as a teaching opportunity for the new guys, and maybe share a couple of brews after the work is done.

I agree on all those points Tom.

I think in reality, is that the "club" has gotten older (in average age). This usually comes with a drop in participation.

Local stuff would be quick and easy, but even Chinaman's is a day trip.

We can work on getting a list of trails together that span North to South, so different people can make them.

I definitely say we don't try and "choose" dates, but make it the same weekend every month, otherwise no one will be able to nail down a date.

Even something as fun and stupid as a X-mas party M&G would be cool. Do a 4x4 white elephant, meet somewhere in Denver, etc. Not every event has to involve bringing the rigs.

Doing things as well like attending Toys 4 Tots as a Chapter, with banner, would be a great cause and get us exposure.

The car crush Flores was able to get together at Cody's shop had a great turnout. Now we just need to get that turnout several times throughout the year.

I think out biggest problem is the lack of actually wheeling. Why join a forum, when your Chapter has a hard time remembering what wheeling IS? :D

A few words from a noob:

I should say, I'm no noob to automotive forums. I was on the DSM forums about 10-15 years ago when I had one. Forums are a tremendous source of information for a technical hobby like this, and I think that is where the focus should remain. Information brought me here, and information is what consumes most of my time lurking. I don't post often as I am of the seemingly rare few who "use the search." That said, the quality of the information is paramount. Simple things like a format/form for tech questions/diagnosis help would let someone like me see whether the information is relevant before fishing through a thread. I hesitate to say it as the first thing that comes to mind is "well, I don't wanna do it...," but I think a great tool would be a database that sorts good threads on common issues by system (suspension, steering, cooling, engine, transmission, etc.) Again, it would be a massive undertaking and I wouldn't want to be the one :p

That's a little more towards the overall NAXJA forum. As far as the local chapter community goes, I agree on the regular events.

Install days are a great one as it gives someone like me who might need a little (preferrably) experienced help with something difficult while giving me a chance to meet and greet the rest of the members.

Regular rides would also be a huge help as my experience mostly lies with making cars faster on pavement and I have no idea what I'm doing on a trail. It would also give me an opportunity to learn the local spots and terrain and what my Jeep can and can't handle.

If a monthly wheeling trip isn't in the cards, keeping the information about trails fresh would be great. Most of the stuff on TrailDamage and that other trail directory is pretty old, and these forest service roads generally only get worse with time.

I've read about some of the volunteer stuff and I'm a huge fan of replenishing what I take away from this landscape. I have done some trail work on some hiking trails, and I'd love to fix up some 4x4 trails too.

Of course, there is some truth to the suggestion that the forum, as well as the XJ itself, is aging. Though I haven't aged with this forum, I doubt I could even come close to the level of participation I gave to the DSM forum events without working directly in the industry. I have a girlfriend, dogs, a business, bills, and less energy to deal with it all than I used to. The flipside for me is that as I age I can see my hobby getting relegated to the scrap bin as people upgrade their Teslas over WiFi; The days where I can get a part from a junkyard are numbered, and I'll do more than I might otherwise at this age to remain a part of that.

I think, ultimately, the regulars of the forum need to shoulder more of the burden of keeping the community alive as it evolves through the different stages of an automotive niche. More events = more new regulars.

I think the crowd coming in dictates a lot of what's needed.
It's mostly younger 'newbs' that need help repairing the rig and learning the ropes.

Tech days are great. But the don't have to be set for what is being taught. Let guys post what work they need to get knocked out and vote on what folks wanna learn. Maybe it's ball joints. Axle shafts. Doing sye. Installing a lift. Folks constantly have projects. Use those as the tech days.

Wheeling is big. Looking at the Facebook groups that are always busy. It is local trails. It's something they can last minute go hit. Why not toss those up. We do have a FB page. Guys cross post all the time. Why aren't they posting on naxjas page.

Use wheeling trips as trail days. As in. One trip focus on teaching guys safe winchin practices. Next, trail etiquette for opposing traffic. Roll recovery.

Honestly swag is big. But it's in the wrong way. Stickers are huge. Be it guys for their hard hats at work or their rigs. Stickers are in. They want to brag. And having cool stickers and hats and stuff is what gets money.

Speaking of bragging. Co chapter needs an IG. Post pics. Tag sponsors. Get guys excited. Share rigs of chapter members. Have photo contest every moth for who gets the banner on fb page.

It's about being noticed. Who don't have any publicity to the jeep community. At all. It's just an asshole old mans forum. And we have to get young blood in to change that.
Keep it basic. Bbq and some wrenchin goes better than a restaurant and costs. Kids want free attention.

Giveback to the members. Have a chapter emissions rollers. Have to be a member. But if so, weave rollers for you to bolt up and test with. See guys all the time needed that.
Random contests that only bid knows about to reward those who participate. Keeps guys on toes for what could get the kudos this go round.
Give back to the sponsors. Get their names out there more too. Swag posts pics. Etc.

Yup, smaller steps seem to accomplish more. The willingness to help each other out and meeting up in person is what turns black letters red.

Clubs have regular meetings. It does not have be anything extravagant, or net a huge turnout, it just has to give people the opportunity to get together.

FOLLOW UP:

It would be great to have some insight to the BOD's deliberations: Agenda, meeting minutes, attendance, etc. It could be as simple as a newsletter from the B.O.D., so people know what ideas got tossed, and what got pushed down the priority list.

Reports: I missed out on five days of wheeling at COFest, but I'm the only person that posted pictures in the event section?

A "questions for the BOD" thread, to gain input from the chapter participants.

Those are the few simple ideas that I feel can give the club some traction with minimal cash out of pocket.

I like what black and blue said about the regulars needing to put in the effort. We have a strong base because of our experienced members.

Getting more members is an easy formula.
Wheel and invite people on Facebook, take pictures, and spread the word on face book/here.
Rinse and repeat.

I do not currently have a rig, but I am a decent spotter and am available to help wrench.

It starts with a simple wheeling meet. When do we want to go?

I like what Tom and Mike said. I don't think there has been a local, club sponsored wheeling event in a long time, or I have missed them all? I would have gone up to Kingston Peak but I was out of town on vacation. It would be nice, I think, if there was more short wheeling trips near the population centers. Colorado Springs, Denver, & Fort Collins come to mind. Something you can do as a day trip. I think a yearly big event say in the San Juans would also be great. I think people would be more like to go to Ouray/Telluride than to someplace they may never have heard of in Buena Vista even if there is less traffic on the trail & the wheeling is as good. BV sounded more like a long time members club event. Ouray/Telluride would probably give a lot more exposure. I didn't go to BV because I didn't have vacation time to spare. I think the other comments are valid too.

XJ's haven't been made in 14 years. Many were made & they're hard to kill so there's still a lot around but there are less each year... at some point I think the scope would need to be broader past XJ's or this place will fold. There are other forums people can go on. So to attract membership, what does (the Colorado) NAXJA chapter offer that others don't?

Keep in mind growing pains. New members that don't think out of fully type their responses. Lots of them. Lol

Just wheel and the rest will come into play guys/ this is over thought. Keep it simple.

Tech days are great. But the don't have to be set for what is being taught. Let guys post what work they need to get knocked out and vote on what folks wanna learn. Maybe it's ball joints. Axle shafts. Doing sye. Installing a lift. Folks constantly have projects. Use those as the tech days.

I'm a little lost; do you guys set up your tech days as a seminar type learning event, where a specific install is taught to the attendees? I remember ours being more like what you suggested - people sign up for the day with their project(s) in a thread so we know to have all the essential tools and enough time, and everyone does their thing. Some folks only had an oil change and ended up helping others who had something more involved. I think the latter is a better format that gives more of an incentive to attend.

XJ's haven't been made in 14 years. Many were made & they're hard to kill so there's still a lot around but there are less each year... at some point I think the scope would need to be broader past XJ's or this place will fold. There are other forums people can go on. So to attract membership, what does (the Colorado) NAXJA chapter offer that others don't?

This.

Perhaps find some other regional, vehicle-specific 4x4 forums to find a few with a good member base and put out an invite so we can have a better chance of bigger groups at regular events. We still have our information database for XJ specific tech, and they would have theirs, but both forums would mutually benefit from better attendance at events and more discussion on the forums.

Question for those on the BOD - do you have access to "the books?" Where does membership money get spent? is there anything we could do as a local chapter to make sure more of that money comes to us?

A few words from a noob:

I think, ultimately, the regulars of the forum need to shoulder more of the burden of keeping the community alive as it evolves through the different stages of an automotive niche. More events = more new regulars.

^ This I definitely agree with. We need more support from the regulars, and more events.

I think the crowd coming in dictates a lot of what's needed.
It's mostly younger 'newbs' that need help repairing the rig and learning the ropes.

Wheeling is big. Looking at the Facebook groups that are always busy. It is local trails. It's something they can last minute go hit. Why not toss those up. We do have a FB page. Guys cross post all the time. Why aren't they posting on naxjas page.

Use wheeling trips as trail days. As in. One trip focus on teaching guys safe winchin practices. Next, trail etiquette for opposing traffic. Roll recovery.

Honestly swag is big. But it's in the wrong way. Stickers are huge. Be it guys for their hard hats at work or their rigs. Stickers are in. They want to brag. And having cool stickers and hats and stuff is what gets money.

Speaking of bragging. Co chapter needs an IG. Post pics. Tag sponsors. Get guys excited. Share rigs of chapter members. Have photo contest every moth for who gets the banner on fb page.

It's about being noticed. Who don't have any publicity to the jeep community. At all. It's just an asshole old mans forum. And we have to get young blood in to change that.
Keep it basic. Bbq and some wrenchin goes better than a restaurant and costs. Kids want free attention.

Giveback to the members. Have a chapter emissions rollers. Have to be a member. But if so, weave rollers for you to bolt up and test with. See guys all the time needed that.
Random contests that only bid knows about to reward those who participate. Keeps guys on toes for what could get the kudos this go round.
Give back to the sponsors. Get their names out there more too. Swag posts pics. Etc.

Mike and I talk a lot back and forth backchannel, and he's spot on with this.

It's not just a matter of doing things, but changing the WAY we do things. We need to be more "current" in how we do things, to appeal to the crowds we need (Facebook, IG, etc.). I know a bit of that will fall on the "younger" folk here on NAXJA.

Yup, smaller steps seem to accomplish more. The willingness to help each other out and meeting up in person is what turns black letters red.

Clubs have regular meetings. It does not have be anything extravagant, or net a huge turnout, it just has to give people the opportunity to get together.

FOLLOW UP:

It would be great to have some insight to the BOD's deliberations: Agenda, meeting minutes, attendance, etc. It could be as simple as a newsletter from the B.O.D., so people know what ideas got tossed, and what got pushed down the priority list.

Reports: I missed out on five days of wheeling at COFest, but I'm the only person that posted pictures in the event section?

A "questions for the BOD" thread, to gain input from the chapter participants.

Those are the few simple ideas that I feel can give the club some traction with minimal cash out of pocket.

As we get back into the nitty gritty of this, I think we can work on posting agenda's for members to see where things are at, our ideas, and where we plan to go. Having all members involved in the discussion instead of JUST those on the BOD I think is something paramount that needs to evolve.

As far as COFest, that's been one of my gripes. Looking at the COFest 2015 Forum, you'd barely know it happened! I would LIKE to try and get a few people to be delegated camera people for events, so that pictures actually get taken. People like to see pics, pics bring interest, interest brings people.

Flores and I were trying to get something like that together to make sure we had pictures, but it didn't pan out in the time we had. Having a computer there on site to upload pictures to as well helps (I have mine with me). When JohnJohn used to upload pictures at the end up the day, it gave you much more of a "live stream" kind of feel and REALLY made you want to be there.

We used to have quarterly meetings, not sure what happened to those.

Good question. Would be nice to actually have those again. I know part of the problem has just straight up been funds...

I like what black and blue said about the regulars needing to put in the effort. We have a strong base because of our experienced members.

Getting more members is an easy formula.
Wheel and invite people on Facebook, take pictures, and spread the word on face book/here.
Rinse and repeat.

I do not currently have a rig, but I am a decent spotter and am available to help wrench.

It starts with a simple wheeling meet. When do we want to go?

Set a date, and we'll see who can show. Since it's getting towards winter, the overall attendance might be lower...but worth a shot.

I'm out until I'm actually working/living back in Colorado full time :laugh:

It would be nice, I think, if there was more short wheeling trips near the population centers. Colorado Springs, Denver, & Fort Collins come to mind. Something you can do as a day trip. I think a yearly big event say in the San Juans would also be great. I think people would be more like to go to Ouray/Telluride than to someplace they may never have heard of in Buena Vista even if there is less traffic on the trail & the wheeling is as good. BV sounded more like a long time members club event. Ouray/Telluride would probably give a lot more exposure. I didn't go to BV because I didn't have vacation time to spare. I think the other comments are valid too.

I agree we need more wheeling trips closer to home so more people will come. Real quick day trips are a nice mix up from the all day or weekend trips.

As far as BV vs. Ouray...I don't 100% agree there. You're always more likely to attract people with a place like BV since it has more actual wheeling of all different spectrums, and it's half the distance to BV for most than Ouray. That being said, I'm not remotely opposed to an event out there. I WOULD like to see an event on the Western slope. There is a LOT of great wheeling out that way, but it's a bit of a drive as well.

Keep in mind growing pains. New members that don't think out of fully type their responses. Lots of them. Lol

Just wheel and the rest will come into play guys/ this is over thought. Keep it simple.

Always better to overplan, than under plan. It's going to be a little more than just wheeling to get people to come in and stay.

I'm a little lost; do you guys set up your tech days as a seminar type learning event, where a specific install is taught to the attendees? I remember ours being more like what you suggested - people sign up for the day with their project(s) in a thread so we know to have all the essential tools and enough time, and everyone does their thing. Some folks only had an oil change and ended up helping others who had something more involved. I think the latter is a better format that gives more of an incentive to attend.

Perhaps find some other regional, vehicle-specific 4x4 forums to find a few with a good member base and put out an invite so we can have a better chance of bigger groups at regular events. We still have our information database for XJ specific tech, and they would have theirs, but both forums would mutually benefit from better attendance at events and more discussion on the forums.

Question for those on the BOD - do you have access to "the books?" Where does membership money get spent? is there anything we could do as a local chapter to make sure more of that money comes to us?

Tech days have usually been seminar type, but I think we should move to a "bring your rig and what you want to work on kind of day". I see this in the light duty truck world, and it is IMMENSELY popular (as in people coming in from around the country for events).

As far as "the books", yep we know how much we have in our checking account :laugh:

However, we don't really see a direct dime of membership money (funny how that works huh?). So even if we have X amount of members renew every year, we're not guaranteed to see a penny of that money. This is why getting people to events, raffles, swag, etc. are what counts. The more we're able to put in the Chapter's account, the more events we can have, sponsor, etc.

We we're going to get CO Chapter Pint glasses made up (and still plan on it), but the up front cost was nearly what we had IN the account. That, and we'd be making MAYBE $1 per glass. However, money in is still money in.

I'm liking seeing all the responses and thoughts. This is what we need to evolve and grow. I think we have a lot of potential, we just need to actually put forth the effort with the club members to get there.

I'd still like to see COFest where theres dozens of people there. I'd like to see the NAXJA Colorado Chapter wheeling again, and one of the dominant chapters (which now very much seems like the Midwest Chapter, I see wheeling photos from them all the time).

As far as "the books", yep we know how much we have in our checking account :laugh:

However, we don't really see a direct dime of membership money (funny how that works huh?). So even if we have X amount of members renew every year, we're not guaranteed to see a penny of that money. This is why getting people to events, raffles, swag, etc. are what counts. The more we're able to put in the Chapter's account, the more events we can have, sponsor, etc.

We we're going to get CO Chapter Pint glasses made up (and still plan on it), but the up front cost was nearly what we had IN the account. That, and we'd be making MAYBE $1 per glass. However, money in is still money in.

So, if each chapter is responsible for raising it's own funds, what does membership money go towards? It seems that the national organization should be focused on it's regions, as they are the backbone of the forum.

Do you have Colorado Naxja artwork? I have a guy that does a bunch of laser engraving/bead blasting for me, and I could probably get a good price on pint glasses without a minimum order that might fit the budget. I also have a t-shirt screen printing press and can do short-run stuff too.

So, if each chapter is responsible for raising it's own funds, what does membership money go towards? It seems that the national organization should be focused on it's regions, as they are the backbone of the forum.

Mainly, and seemingly only...land use donations.

While those are awesome, yep...doesn't do the regions much good.

That's been a LARGE point of contention for some time now. Essentially, each region is pretty well "on their own" financially.

Do you have Colorado Naxja artwork? I have a guy that does a bunch of laser engraving/bead blasting for me, and I could probably get a good price on pint glasses without a minimum order that might fit the budget. I also have a t-shirt screen printing press and can do short-run stuff too.

Yep that we do!

That's awesome to hear, we've been looking for stuff like that to start a CO Chapter Store, which in turn proceeds would go back to holding events, dinners, etc.

I'd like to point out that the uniqueness of NAXJA is it's focus on a single marque. This becomes more valuable as they disappear from general use. That's probably not so useful for increasing the chapter's numbers, I'd have to agree.

On the other hand, there is no real uniqueness about a group whose purpose is to go wheeling in Colorado. They abound on Facebook. I'm not saying we shouldn't organize frequent local trips, I am saying they won't necessarily drive traffic to the chapter.

My .02.

On the other hand, there is no real uniqueness about a group whose purpose is to go wheeling in Colorado. They abound on Facebook. I'm not saying we shouldn't organize frequent local trips, I am saying they won't necessarily drive traffic to the chapter.

My .02.

I'd have to 100% disagree with wheeling not driving traffic.

When is the last time the Colorado Chapter was relevant? I guarantee it was when more than half the members still actually wheeled.

I know I wouldn't join a group that barely, if at all, gets out. Then you're just another forum in the realm of endless forums. It takes BOTH having the tech and resources, as well as ACTUALLY using them.

If wheeling and getting out there can't drive traffic, I give the chapter a couple years before it's really done.

It has never been the case that wheeling drove traffic to the chapter. It may have been a factor in the early 2000 Colorado fests attendance, it did not effect membership in the chapter. You can disagree all you want, but there is no one who knows the history of this chapter as well as I do. Don't bother quibbling, I've been involved longer than anyone else on this board. See the Yahoo list for reference.

That said, I'm not saying that we shouldn't use wheeling to help drive traffic. It is a fact that there are many choices out there for finding a group that is wheeling on the weekend. And let's not forget, that technically, it it's a NAXJA wheeling trip, BOD members are supposed to be present, if not lead. Will our new directors fit that bill under the NAXJA guidelines? Facebook groups, so far, have no liability, just like the old Yahoo list groups. I wheeled far more with the list group, than I have with NAXJA.

So, yeah, use wheeling as an attractant, but if you seriously think it's the only answer to increasing involvement, well, I agree with you, the chapter only has a few years left.

I will sort of side with Fred on this as well. NAXJA isn't a 4-wheeling XJ club. It's an overall enthusiast club for the XJ/MJ. This means we owe it to the overall theme of the club to not get single-focused on 'wheeling events. I still sell parts to folks that found me through NAXJA who have stock daily driver XJ's and their only need from NAXJA is the technical info to maintain their XJ..... they have ZERO interest in modifying or 'wheeling their XJ.

However, without question, the largest demographic of XJ enthusiasts are the ones that use them for 'wheeling or are building a mall crawler that poses as a 'wheeling machine because they like the look. So, for that reason, yes - 'wheeling events are likely to attract the most interest.

We do need to show the value in the enthusiasm of the XJ/MJ in any regard and support those folks that are outside the larger demographic. I myself don't currently represent the 'wheeling demographic - I don't have a trail rig at all at this time. I am an overall enthusiast though, having a stock MJ, a road racing MJ build, and a "custom" MJ dually build all in progress. For these reasons, it's been awesome to do "show-n-shine" events like the ones held at Cody's tattoo shop. It's something all enthusiasts can attend.

A great example of overall enthusiast support is the Rig of the Month. The categories that Flores puts together are nice and broad covering stock, racing, wheeling, and general use and enjoyment of the XJ/MJ's. Could be cool if we could get some increased forum participation and membership built up in the chapter to do our own chapter Rig of the Month thing.

Gawd that was chatty........ lol.

Last edited:
Back