• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would be invovled with this kit?

cal said:
You are of course aware that jeep discontinued the disconnect setup and that almost all xj's and all tj's have solid axles, right? Believe me its the better way to go.

What he's pointing out is that you don't have to worry about the solid axle shafts vs. the disconnect axles. If it was a better design, they would have stuck with it. Most of the people on this site have a non-disco front. Very few people will even consider upgrading the disco 30. Also, most of the people who lock the front still don't worry about manual hubs. That's a lot of money to stick into a 30. That's my .02

jakec said:
What he's pointing out is that you don't have to worry about the solid axle shafts vs. the disconnect axles. If it was a better design, they would have stuck with it. Most of the people on this site have a non-disco front. Very few people will even consider upgrading the disco 30. Also, most of the people who lock the front still don't worry about manual hubs. That's a lot of money to stick into a 30. That's my .02

Actually thats what _I_ was pointing out. ;)

get the solid shafts, keep the disco housing.
The disco housing has a stronger passenger side UCA mount.
The solid shafts will slide right in, but you'll have to get a new seal for the disco housing, it's on here somewhere.
as to all the upgrading, I wouldn' sink $1K into my D30, but that's because I plan on one tons eventually. I think that it's a worthwhile upgrade if you want a bulletproof D30 on 33's, but I wouldn't thrash it on 35's like Cal unless you made the housing stiffer. Otherwise, you'll end up like this:
img_4661.jpg

replacing this:
img_4707.jpg

The unit bearings are a 30 spline upgrade option, don't worry about them.

Call Alloy-USA, they will give you the block off plate and seal with the shafts, as well as new u-joints. Its part of their package deal.

I was posting it more for the benefit of other people who may wonder what you were talking about. ;)

In a couple weeks I'm pulling the 30 spline unit bearings off and installing a warn 30 spline 5x5.5 hub kit.

I think as far as pure beef goes, its a downgrade, but I'd like the 5x5.5 hub pattern more, and it will match my other toys. There is a shiny set of champion beadlocks waiting for me to finish too.

I just need to mock it up and see whats involved in mixing the 5x5.5 hub kit with WJ knuckles, as everyone seems to have a conflicting story on what to do.

Sorry Cal, I was trying to explain to Mopar It what you (Cal) were saying. I just quoted the wrong person.

No need to be sorry, I just wanted to make sure we werent arguing the same point. :)

alright call thanks a lot for your help ill give it a shot and see if it's as easy as you say, ill be running 33's for a while and maybe 35's down the road but if i did 35's i'd wheel a lot more careful

Back