• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What will I be happier with?

The rearend is no big deal, you can find 8.8s with 4.10s in them all day at the you-pull-it like xcm said. It's d30s with 4.10s that are the tough junkyard-budget-gearing upgrade.

EDIT: of course, an 8.8 requires welding/fab work. A d35/8.25 out of another XJ doesn't.

I don't know how to weld, but this is definitely a high priority on my to do list (I always find myself during projects on the jeep saying "damnit, it would be so much easier if I could weld"). I think I could regear an 8.25 to replace my 35, if I could find a d30 with 4.10s

Does this mean that 4cyl XJ's are a rarity in the JY? There are legit tons of XJ's in my local one (and I get sad and want to rescue all of them), but never had to pull anything off engines.

Around here 4cyl XJs are pretty rare. I've been yard hunting for over two years and haven't seen one yet.

I have seen/heard that they are more common in the PA, AZ, and socal areas.

MJs with the 4cyl were much more common, as were YJs and TJs, but they are all SUA (so you gotta do fab work anyways and might as well do an 8.8, more common in the yards) and only available with the 35, 44 (rare-ish and only on MJs), and very occasionally amc-20.

It all depends on what you like. Some people love the KM2 tread design, while others prefer something else. I really like the way my KM2's perform on and off road, and I like the fact that the narrow width of the 33x10.5's on my 5.5" lift don't give me rubbing troubles.

My kid is running 32X11.50's on a 4.5" lift and he rubs like a beyotch. Here's a comparison photo. Please note his missing fender (green Jeep).

DSCN4471.jpg

More shots are available on the Frog Blog. Good luck with your decision.

The AT KO on the other hand is a classic tire! The GMC Jimmy in Magnum PI had BFG ATs. You can't afford a Ferrari 308GTS, but you can afford BFG ATs

There's nothing wrong with a good set of AT KO's either. I ran a set of 31x10.50x15 BFG A/T KO's for a couple of years on my first XJ and I really liked them. Although I do not think they are as sexy as my KM2's, they performed well off road and had excellent street manners. Your results will vary, depending on your terrain.

Once again...here's a pic. Damn I miss that Jeep.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I could care less about how the tread pattern looks... I want good dirt/snow traction and good dry and wet pavement traction. The treads could say I LIKE BARBIES for all I care and if they held onto stuff I'd run em.

I could care less about how the tread pattern looks... The treads could say I LIKE BARBIES for all I care and if they held onto stuff I'd run em.

HA! Exactly. I have decided to go with KO's, but the size is still very much on my mind as there is an identical jeep across the street from wrk that has 32 KO on d-windows and is around he same hight as mine. However, his wheels look awfully deep and tires stick out an inch or two passed the stock fenders. I just ordered soft 8s w/ 4" BS but his looks like alot more. Stock rims are 5.25"? opinions? I like the way his looks

BUT WAIT wtf is this all about that BFGoodrich is discontinuing the 32 KO??? Just had my tire dude call BFG and they said they are gonna stop making them for a while, but it's indefinite. Jesus, making my decision harder than it already is LOL

HA! Exactly. I have decided to go with KO's, but the size is still very much on my mind as there is an identical jeep across the street from wrk that has 32 KO on d-windows and is around he same hight as mine. However, his wheels look awfully deep and tires stick out an inch or two passed the stock fenders. I just ordered soft 8s w/ 4" BS but his looks like alot more. Stock rims are 5.25"? opinions? I like the way his looks

BUT WAIT wtf is this all about that BFGoodrich is discontinuing the 32 KO??? Just had my tire dude call BFG and they said they are gonna stop making them for a while, but it's indefinite. Jesus, making my decision harder than it already is LOL

If I had to guess, they are running broke honoring the warranty on tires that go flat every time you drive past a stick. ;)

A friend of mine ran 31s on 4.5" lift with stock untrimmed fenders and it looked fine. If you haven't cut your fenders, 31s will fill them out. On the flip side, I ran my XJ at 6" of lift w/cut fenders and 30s for a long while because I couldn't afford the new tires. I thought it looked silly, but still got complements on it and still got 18mpg. When I finally got the 33s, I got them used from a guy on here. Installed them and was filling my tank almost twice as often as when I had 30s. Looked a lot better though. I finally regeared and got my power back, but mileage still sucks. Although, I did add a tire carrier bumper and front winch bumper around the same time.

I was still able to wheel my XJ with 33s and 3.55s, but I had to use 4low to climb over anything. Stuff I can get over in two wheel drive took 4 low then. It's doable on stock gears with 33s, but it sucks. Plus as was noted, with this being your DD, I'd invest in a stronger rear axle before going to 32s or 33s. Wouldn't want to snap a shaft on your DD.

I am going wide....33x13.5 because thats what I am getting cheap. I hope it works out. Time will tell I guess.

I'd say forget the BFGs and go for TSL Thornbirds! You'll be way happier with the T-birds. Do it! Do it!

Back