• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Welder

Another thing to think about. The guy who does the electrical for my shop says making a 220 power box and running it off of two 110 outlets is no big deal. I can see how it should work. I just built an exstention cord that plugs into my 30amp dryer outlet. Although my welder (Lincoln 170) is a 40amp unit...no problem so far. Heck I bet I could just install a 40amp breaker and call it good. (don't use electrical dryer any longer)

Yeah that would probably work, depending on how may amps total your panel would accomodate. Your welders manual should have a graph that shows how many amps your welder draws at so many amp output. My Tig welder requires 68 amps if I run it at 180 amps AC. I have been running that welder on a 40 amp breaker with no probs (I only have used it at 130 amps max, and only DC). If I were going to try to weld some 1/2" plate I would need to make a trip to the hardware store for a 60 or 70 amp breaker first. Oh yeah one more thing, In order to make 220 power from two 110 outlets, the two 110 outlets have to be from different circuits, which probably would not be the case in your appartments wiring. It prob. has one 110 circuit for the outlets in your garage.

Wlder question - Lincoln Light Duty

In my quest for bumper/tow points/fab equipment I decided to ask around and see who might have a used welder I could buy and for how much.

I found someone with a used Lincoln MIG 110v? Probably the light duty 135 I think. Anyway they'll let me have it for $250 with everything all I need to get is the bottle.

Now, I make it sound like I know what I am talking about(right) but I really don't. From the info I have given does this sound like a good deal assuming that it's in good shape? EDUCATE ME oh fabricating gurus. Expound please! I really want to get into my own fabricating.

Yes that is a good deal. You usually can't touch a decent 110 Mig for under 400 to 500 dollars. Make sure it is the model that goes up to 135 amps. You will be able to weld most anything up to 1/4 inch with that. I have made a lot of money with my 110 MIG machine...it is nice being able to take it to anyones house plug it in and weld away. Don't hesitate if you have more ????'s

I do have another question. I notice looking at the Lincoln website that there is the weldpak 100 as well. Looks like Lincolns base model is a 110v 15 amp. If I show up there today and that is what it is still a good deal? what is the difference in the extra 25 amps? I really would like to beable to build my own bumpers and perhaps fab perches and shock mounts down the road. Again, a 135 would be capable? A 110? Thanks for the help.

Welding up a bumper shouldn't be a problem with either. As far as shock brackets and similar stuff (read: attached to axle) you would probably want a 220 volt welder. I have set up full axles (welded all brackets for control arms, trac bar, and shocks) with my Miller 135, but I have quite a bit of experience welding, and I still wasn't to excited about it (my friend made me do it...for real). Anyway that rearend (in a TJ) has made a couple trips to Moab and other places since, so it is obviously holding. TO answer your original question, the weldpack 100 sells for a little over 300 new, so unless there is a lot of extra stuff with it I wouldn't pay 250 for one used. You will be much happier with the 135 model. I would however look around and buy a 220 model. This is definetly one of those situations where you will be sorry if you don't do it right the first time.

I do appreciate (more and more) the info and expertise that I get off this website. I decided to hold out and wait for an opportunity to get a 175/180 series welder and up. I think it will be a much better purchase in the long run.

Follow up questions though, I hear miller/lincoln/hobart a lot are there any other knock off brands that deserve attention such as PowerArc (http://www.asedeals.com/MigWldrs2.html) or Marquette?

Also, how does a welder hold up? I am going to try and find a used one probably and wondered are welders simple enough in design to hold up fairly well to abuse?

Thanks again.

Most welders hold up well, especially arc welders. A mig welder has more moving parts and generally requires more maintenance. I am not familiar with those other brands of welders. I know ESAB is another good brand of welder. I have always tried to stick with Miller or Lincoln. My reasoning is that any weld shop can work on these machines, and will always have the consumables in stock. Those off brand machines have to be sent off for warranty work a lot of the time. To me it is worth the extras 150 dollars for that piece of mind. I did however purchase an off brand plasma cutter, and have been very happy with it so far.

Back