• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Yea it was damn close but priorities changed and I can't keep pumping money into it.

Starting to feel that way about this old body of mine, pumping too much money into it for doctors, drugs and such, but they do not take trade ins on old human bodies, nor do they sell new ones :eek: :(

Had 12 volts to the O2 sensor, but the heater wire in the O2 sensor read 250,000 ohms, (should be about 8 ohms as I recall) as in it was dead. Swapped out the O2 sensor, and it went closed loop in seconds of start up. But now had a rough idle??? WTF??? Still had fuel trims of 98(ST) and 128(LT).

Tried 3-4 restarts, about 8 cycles from run to off to run with out cranking, then suddenly she springs a fuel leak at the QC feed line to the fuel rail after tidying up the O2 and CPS and axle vent hose/wires with tie wraps to keep them from getting into axle shaft-steering column or exhaust manifold sudden death battles again. Must have bumped the QC too much and the 30 year old o'rings gave out finally. They were toast, inner one was rotted....

Replaced the 2 o'rings and spacer inside the 30 year old factory fuel line QC, stopped the fuel leak.

Oh, forgot to mention the fuel pressure was perfect before I changed the O2 sensor, I tested it first, FPR is working perfectly also before I swapped the O2 sensor. And O2 sensor ground was perfect.

Then the rough idle after replacing the O2 sensor, and multiple ign switch on off cycles and restarts stayed for 2-3 more restarts after fixing the fuel leak, and suddenly the jeep fixed itself.

I now have a self repairing jeep :eek: :clap: LMAO.

Drove her today, several short trips, runs smooth as glass, even the sticky lifter has gone silent, she never ever ran this smooth before, at idle or under power.

What did I do wrong? LOL

Now we wait to see how well the slightly hotter NGK FR5 spark plugs on cylinders 1 and 2 stay clean (leaking valve stem seals from worn valve guides...long story) with a working O2 sensor?????? Fuel economy should go way up, I was down to about 11 mpg average so I already suspected an O2 sensor issue.

Now we tackle my dying hard drive on life line to the internet and Netflix :eek: Hasta

Oh and I cleared out space in my shop for jeep parts, :clap: LOL. Got rid of three 20+ year old behemoth massive main office copiers from the early 90s and one large window unit AC I never got around to fixing....and some other junk.

Last edited:
Primed

9FA416D8-6110-4417-B224-C4806B55E53C_zpsvj0uob2t.jpg

Started Replacing my Stock OEM Control Arms w/ Hvy Wall DOM Tube Arms w/ Poly Bushings.
Have to Cut Out the Rear/Upper Bolts on the Lowers (Rust Welded to the Bushing Sleeves) AAARRRGGGHHH (GROWL) !!!
Got the Pass. Side Half Cut & started to get too Dark. Up on Jack Stands in the Driveway for the Night.

At Least I figured out that the Grinder w/ Cut-Off Wheel was Way Better than the SawzAll.
Cuts thru the Rubber & 3/4 of the bolt Much Faster & Easier.
Gotta Finish This Tomorrow, As It's my Daily Driver.
Moral of the Story: Don't Ever Drive your Jeep Around Salt Water.

Lived at the Beach in NC for 5 yrs. Worst thing I Ever Did to my Jeep!
Had Lots of Fun & Regretting it Now.
Wish me Luck & Godspeed!

Waiting on an Adjustable Track Bar, So that I can Punish myself some more & Replace the Tie Rod Ends & Oh God, All 4 Ball Joints!
Not Looking Forward to That at all.
Time for another Beer & to Sleep, Very Soon.

Gotta get Up & Wrestle w/ the Jeep Again Tomorrow.
Thank God there's a Harbor Freight Close By!

UncleSarge58

Maybe when you all get these new rigs fixed and running we can have a run? Seems everybody working on rigs and nobody on the trails :(

Maybe when you all get these new rigs fixed and running we can have a run? Seems everybody working on rigs and nobody on the trails :(

No one to stop me from going now, once my axles are done

Lately, to me a "RUN" is the run to Burger King for lunch and to the parts store for more jeep parts, and the run this past week to Fry's for computer "save the crashing hard drive" parts... LMAO. Next month it will be runs to the doctors, MRI scan and possible surgery on me instead of my jeeps.

May have figured out my last remaining problem of topping out at 60 mph at WOT. Seems the TPS is topping out at 57% of input voltage instead of 87% the OEM FSM spec calls for.

Thanks to my new to me Snap-on MT-2500 scanner set up for Renix ECUs, and everything else up 2001 rigs :) bought off of Ebay dirt cheap, that made the diagnosis about 20 times faster than an multi meter..party1:.

Finished Getting the Lower Control Arms Cut Out & Replaced.
Jeep got it's Revenge on Me by Dropping the Pass Side Arm right on My Head, Hard!
Fell when I Pulled the SawzAll. Busted me Good Too! About a Half Inch Gash!

Packed a Wad of paper towels under my hat & went Right Back Out to Cuss that Dang Contraption & Attacked the Driver Side.
Came out Much Easier than the other & No HeadKnockers!
Got the New Lower Control Arms Installed & took It for a Test Drive.
Great Improvement! Firmer Ride & Better Handling!

Only thing I Did After That was Install my New Pillar Mount Super Tweeters that came in the Mail.
Also a Great Improvement! Offers more Presence & Brings the Sound Stage More Forward (Audio Terms)
Means: Makes the Music Sound like it's Live, In Front of you, Instead of being Distributed Equally All Around.

Dang, My Head Hurts. Surprised I can even type!
Shower Tonight Will Determine the Need for Stitches.
The Saga Continues!
UncleSarge58

Last edited:
So a sad day has come with a new baby coming soon, and moving in the spring I think it is time to sell the jeep. The plan is to get a new rig in a year or sa, a new xj, mj, or even lj. But with all the rust on my I will not be able to do what I want, and it is just getting worse sitting where it is. Now the only question, can I get anywhere near what I want for it.... Probably not.

So a sad day has come with a new baby coming soon, and moving in the spring I think it is time to sell the jeep. The plan is to get a new rig in a year or sa, a new xj, mj, or even lj. But with all the rust on my I will not be able to do what I want, and it is just getting worse sitting where it is. Now the only question, can I get anywhere near what I want for it.... Probably not.

Wanna buy mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha just Got to Mom's in the Jeep after a five day hunting trip just on the edge of the Ouachita National forest. Only problem I have had was the axle vent tube pulled loose from the firewall. Haven't lifted it or put new mt's on it yet, but it handled everything it was pointed at with street tires...nothing over 45degrees yet though. Even managed to fill my doe tag, with my 7yr old boys in tow.

Ok I'll hold on to them for both ya... ;)

LOL what is this, sell your rig week? 3 wanting to sell here, and a 4th with a 90 Wagoneer north east of us (NC?) all posting about sell plans the past 7 days.

Anyone have the proper ball joint tools?

Autozone is out of loaners

Back