• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Last task on the 89 was 3 drain, fill, drive and repeat cycles on the AW4 that fixed the slow to engage reverse on cold morning shifting issues that were coming back.

IIRC that also fixed a slow leak (with a little Trans-X used on the first transfusion). :clap:

Installing the new vacuum hose harness and new silicone valve cover gasket fixed the last of the wandering idle issues (from variable vacuum leaks) on it too :party:and solved the oil leak :clap:

Jeep gets regeared next week and a double shear track bar upgrade.

Changed the oil in the Jeep, pushed it out of the garage and jump started it. Drove it around the block and put it back in the garage, where the battery died again. Guess I didn't let it charge long enough.

Installed my new speakers yesterday

I installed a TNT trackbar mount. I was going to install my Clayton offroad trackbar with it but it requires drilling out the stock axle mount to 9/16. Off to the store after work today.

What gears Ed?

Which radiator did you go with Tobey?

Just a stock replacement. The old one was full of rust-colored gunk. I also flushed the block real good.

I know the weather is cool right now, but it's running right around 190-195 now. Used to run closer to 210, and would creep higher while idling at a light. That no longer happens either. We'll see how it does this summer.

Edit: here's the old one:
20150104_220609.jpg

I also replaced the aftermarket electric fan and made a nice shroud for the new one:
20150105_185700.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking shroud.

I recently replaced my oem gunk filled radiator with a single core unit because it was quick, easy, and cheap. I'm still looking around though for a nice dual core copper(?) with metal end tanks.

What are the specs on your fan? I'm running 2 10 blade oem fans but they're kind of busted and cracked so they flex a little and probably don't do as good a job. I might swap back to a mechanical fan before ROM.

Nice looking shroud.

I recently replaced my oem gunk filled radiator with a single core unit because it was quick, easy, and cheap. I'm still looking around though for a nice dual core copper(?) with metal end tanks.

What are the specs on your fan? I'm running 2 10 blade oem fans but they're kind of busted and cracked so they flex a little and probably don't do as good a job. I might swap back to a mechanical fan before ROM.

It's a PermaCool 19113. 13", 3000cfm. Aluminum blades.

bought a new gas tank, fuel pump, sending unit, and straps off rock auto for my comanche. no more leaking gas and not knowing how much is in the tank!

That's always good. In college, many years ago, I daily drove a '57 Willys 4wd wagon. When I converted from 6 to 12 volt electrics, the fuel gauge read twice the actual for a few months, then quit working altogether. The odometer didn't work either, so every day was an adventure. I kept a 2-gallon can in the back. The next trip home to my parent's house, my dad and I replaced the sender and installed an aftermarket gauge.

The things you'd put up with when you were 20 years old...

Boo. Shoulda gone 4.88

Keeping the 8.25? Have the carrier backlash tool made yet?

Lol these 4.56s will be a little over kill for my 32s, but Ill want 33s at some point Im sure.

Yep, keeping the 8.25. No idea on the tool.

Back