• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Type Of Code Reader For A 1989 XJ ?

Ah, Ha! We have someone with a DRB-II!!!:)

So what year, model & engine is your jeep and what year was your DRB-II manufactured? Also who manufactured your DRB-II?

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Last edited:
5-90, if you dig it out just let me know what tube numbers.

I last turned wrenches professionally in the early 80's due to an on the job accident that left me permanently disabled. After 20 years of wrenching I guess it was about time anyway .....

Actually I was going to ask if anyone would mind taking the time to type out what all the abbreviations mean for the parts and such on my 89

I have been watching ePay for a factory service manual, but have yet to score one, once I do I will be able to get up to speed.

Thank You :cheers:

OldFarts4X4 said:
5-90, if you dig it out just let me know what tube numbers.

I last turned wrenches professionally in the early 80's due to an on the job accident that left me permanently disabled. After 20 years of wrenching I guess it was about time anyway .....

Actually I was going to ask if anyone would mind taking the time to type out what all the abbreviations mean for the parts and such on my 89

I have been watching ePay for a factory service manual, but have yet to score one, once I do I will be able to get up to speed.

Thank You :cheers:

Tell ya what - I've got a batch of FSMs around here, and some of them are RENIX (Hell, some of them are AMC!)

Email me the abbreviations, and I'll fill out your list (I'm still looking for entries for the Lexicon I'm working on anyhow.) And, I can help you with diagnosis and such.

The RENIXFI manual can be had at either Strokers (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) or at Pirates of the Rubicon (I think) - if you can't find it in either of those places, I can email you a copy.

Also, I've got a RENIX-specific group I kicked open (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) for people like us - I intended it to be a sort of archive and clearinghouse for RENIX-specific (1984-1990 XJ/MJ w/AMC gasoline engine) information for people like us - who own them and prefer them over HO... Yes, there are a few of us.

5-90
dragonland2001 AT yahoo DOT com

Ecomike said:
Ah, Ha! We have someone with a DRB-II!!!:)

So what year, model & engine is your jeep and what year was your DRB-II manufactured? Also who manufactured your DRB-II?

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Mine is a 90 Cherokee, it has a stroker now, but I am still using the Renix wiring.

I don't knwo when the DRB was made, I sued to work for the company that made them (SPX corporation, Miller Special Tools) and I was lucky enough to get the last one ever made. To use it on the Renix era Jeeps, you need the DRBII, the super card and the Jeep/Eagle adapter. It connects to the connectors under hood with the yellow caps on them. It will do live diagnostics and code grabbing, but nothing is stored in the jeeps memory.

Back