• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type efi does the 4.0 use.......

U

user name

Its a 2000 model....

I was wondering, does the newer jeep use a speed density type fuel injection or mass-air or other?

thanks

He was actually asking how the computer calculates the fuel air mixture ratio. There are several different methods used on different vehicles. The Renix setup uses a a MAP, coupled with a fuel/air charge temp sensor. Input from the O2 is also used, but what I can tell, it is not used in realtime, The data is used to tweak fuel air curves over time. That is one of the reasons that if you disco the battery, the engine runs like crap for a few starts until it learns. The Renix does have a ping sensor that works pretty much in realtime. The Renix also uses a EGR valve to control combustion temps.

I believe the HO uses a similar setup. It does not have a mass airflow, but rather a MAP sensor and it does not use a ping sensor or an EGR valve.

If yo have a mass airflow sensor (I don't think so, but I don't have a 2K handy to check) it's a Mass Airflow Controlled system - if you have a MAP sensor and an IAT (which is far more likely) it's Speed-Density controlled. However, I'm pretty sure it's Speed-Density.

Why do you ask? Just curious, or do you have something specific in mind?

The control electronics are the ChryCo SMEC setup, which are pretty common. OBD-II allows certain modifications, but you have more trouble with the Air Police (if you have them) and the PCM (which you have anyway) if you tend to tinker...

5-90

Well to be honest, my wife bought one recently...

I already have a ford 4.9 and the thought of modifying the 4.9 to some degree has interested me. Ford for the most part used speed density (map) on the 4.9, there were a couple years (or california models) that used mass air but its not so easy to come by. So I put two and two together and thought, wonder if I could use the jeep efi with a chip, larger TB etc and come up with something a little more friendly when adding a little more cam than stock and port work....*cough*...turbo...a few of these have been done recently with good results on stock speed density systems, however there is a rich idle condition that isn't easily fixed, however the one mass air setup that I know of isn't experiencing this problem.

What interested me, is ford uses this giant plenum with long runners, yet jeep uses bascally a carb intake. Obviously this was done for a reason, the longer runners help the 4.9 build torque in a fullsize truck application and due to the light weight of the jeep, a short runner/small plenum was fine. I also thought, it would be no big deal to get a 4.9 carb intake and adapt this efi to it, as long as I could get it to compensate for the .9 liters, which shouldn't be too difficult.

I will more likely than not give up before anything materializes and slap a carb/intake on the 4.9...but thats life...I figured I would look into the possibilities though.

user name said:
Its a 2000 model....
I was wondering, does the newer jeep use a speed density type fuel injection or mass-air or other?
thanks

It uses a speed density type sequential multi-point electronic fuel injection with a MAP sensor mounted to the driver's side of the throttle body.
There's no EGR and no knock sensor.

Back