• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What traction device should I use...

Sell tje 8.25 for 200 and pick up a 8.8 with 4.10 and lsd. Then put a full case locker in the d30

You're putting evil thoughts in my head.....:laugh3:

Trutracs front and rear, they were dreamy in my DD/Wheeler '99 XJ, D30/D44. Did pretty good offroad and were awesome in the snow. For the handful of times a year that I planned to wheel the lifted tire issue wasn't enough of a concern to go with something else. Eventually went to a ARB in the rear when I built up a bling 44 and years later went to an ARB in the 30 as well. But I never regretted getting the TT's.

Full case locker up front for strength in a D30...it's the weakest link.

I had a powertrax no-slip in a rear D44 I had in an XJ years ago. Just like a lunchbox locker, except it was dead quiet. Never heard a ratcheting sound from it at all.

I did that. Found at local u pulland pay complete for $100. But the factory limited slip is pretty much worthless imo, unless both tires are on ice.

You rebuild it and add a clutch disk. Tightens it up nicely.

I did that. Found at local u pulland pay complete for $100. But the factory limited slip is pretty much worthless imo, unless both tires are on ice.

The problem with the lsd is they usually have clutches that wear out. Most of the time they can be rebuilt.
Selling the 8.25 and going 8.8 with a lsd will give the op a stronger axle with better gears and a traction control device installed giving him more money for a much better locker than a lunch box locker for the d30 The 8.8 can then be improved when funds allow

On my XJ I had the 8.8 with factory LSD. For the most part worked fine and with the exception of the gears was an awesome setup. Ideally, I would have wanted another 8.8 for the MJ but the 8.25 just happened. I don't disagree the 8.8 will be stronger and have more options. More than likely will probably go with a full case locker in the front. Would rather a axle stub be the fuse the a R/P or locker.

To the OP, if you have the NP242 tcase and would like to maintain use of full-time 4wd, then you should go with a Detroit true trac up front. I live in ice and snow country and would not compromise my full time. I have a Detroit locker in the rear. If I were to do it again I would really consider true trac both front and rear since I anticipate mostly moderate/scenic wheeling in my future. And...there are no clutches in the true trac to wear out.

To the OP, if you have the NP242 tcase and would like to maintain use of full-time 4wd, then you should go with a Detroit true trac up front. I live in ice and snow country and would not compromise my full time. I have a Detroit locker in the rear. If I were to do it again I would really consider true trac both front and rear since I anticipate mostly moderate/scenic wheeling in my future. And...there are no clutches in the true trac to wear out.

Thats exactly what I did. I had detroit tru-trac front and rear for about 2 years. Got a good deal on a detroit locker for the rear and love the combo. I just WORKS

Just running a 231, thanks for the info.

Tru Trac is expensive too

See if you can afford an OX or similar for the front. They are available with bicycle cable manual activator, quite a bit simpler than electric or air solenoid. I think you can upgrade the Ox to electric or air later so not locked into it.

Tru Trac is expensive too

You can pick up tru tracs for 400 all day long and if your smart you can get then for under 400. Try finding a selectable for under 800.
Best bang for hour buck is going to be tru trac rear, and because you are replacing the carrier anyhow detroit up front.

Thinking more than likely going tru trac or detriot lockers. I like the cost option of lunchbox lockers but by the time I pay for new carries think a trutrac will be the best bet. I remembered the other day both carriers will need to be swapped, 3.07 in the 8.25. I'll keep trolling through CL in hopes to find one if not just going to save my pennies until big sales happen. Also thinking I'm going to go with a WJ swap on the 30...

Thinking more than likely going tru trac or detriot lockers. I like the cost option of lunchbox lockers but by the time I pay for new carries think a trutrac will be the best bet. I remembered the other day both carriers will need to be swapped, 3.07 in the 8.25. I'll keep trolling through CL in hopes to find one if not just going to save my pennies until big sales happen. Also thinking I'm going to go with a WJ swap on the 30...
C8.25 does not need carrier change.

anyone mention this is for an MJ? bit more wheelbase than an XJ.....might be more forgiving to some of the quirks associated with various traction devices (such as a rear auto locker)

Back