• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to expect as a Moab Noob?

We'll be making the 1600 mile trip too but we won't be going with anyone who's been before. I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks to tag along with, right Aaron????

Sounds like the Charles Wells book made the list of things to get though.

Ryan(DrMoab) has already offered to show me around. I'm sure he won't mind a couple more rednecks tagging along! :D

The Charles Wells book is a good idea to bring with you as people mentioned. Here is a website to take a look at some of the Moab trails:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php

I second the Fins-N-Things trail. Prolly the best trail to cut your teeth on slick rock. Test yourself on it. You will be amazed at how sticky it is the first time out. You can climb walls. Start out with Baby Lions back near the entrance. Also, there is a steep climb on Fins, I can't recall the name. It will look impossible your first time on slick rock but give it a go, you may be surprised.

Absolutely make time for Hells Revenge for a trip on Mars. It is an easy trail if you skip the optional obstacles like escalator. It can be a challenging trail if you add all the tough stuff.

Another good trail to get used to Moab is Cliff Hanger. Nothing like dropping down a couple foot off camber ledge with a couple thousand foot drop 3 feet away.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim run. I feel it is a must. I always set aside a day for that run. It is a nice full day deal so plan on leaving as early as possible and bringing lunch. Not sure why, but it is what I think of when I think about Moab.

I think swinging by Gemini Bridges is worth the stop and a good chance to stretch the legs after a day wheeling or on your way out of town.

Anyway, the list is endless. Every trail is worth checking out a dozen times.

Another good trail to get used to Moab is Cliff Hanger. Nothing like dropping down a couple foot off camber ledge with a couple thousand foot drop 3 feet away.

I don't think I could ever get used to that! :eek:

I told Mil Thornton the first time I made it out to the end of Cliff Hanger that I used to be afraid of heights.... now I'm just mostly apprehensive.

My g/f got introduced to offroading in sort of a mean way, we followed Sean Rose in his buggy, and his folks in their built XJ up Moab rim, just the 3 of us. Both of them made it look stupid easy, while Deb is peering over my shoulder, watching Kane Creek Boulevard disappear rapidly below the cliff edge. "I've finally figured out how to describe what you do, to my coworkers. It's a bunch of guys teaching their Jeeps how to be mountain goats."

I don't know of a bad trail out there. Some are more challenging than others, but I'd do any of them again.

I told Mil Thornton the first time I made it out to the end of Cliff Hanger that I used to be afraid of heights.... now I'm just mostly apprehensive.

My g/f got introduced to offroading in sort of a mean way, we followed Sean Rose in his buggy, and his folks in their built XJ up Moab rim, just the 3 of us. Both of them made it look stupid easy, while Deb is peering over my shoulder, watching Kane Creek Boulevard disappear rapidly below the cliff edge. "I've finally figured out how to describe what you do, to my coworkers. It's a bunch of guys teaching their Jeeps how to be mountain goats."

I don't know of a bad trail out there. Some are more challenging than others, but I'd do any of them again.

I know around here if I break mine I am pretty close to the range of the AAA truck so I can get home if all else fails but driving that far from home I'm gonna err on the side of caution, I will probably run some stuff that will challenge me but I'm going to try my best to avoid drivetrain and window damage. that's a long ride with no windows! :D

Talk like that will almost guarantee you'll be the first to roll.

I don't care about the body damage part, I just like my windows! :D

The Charles Wells book is a good idea to bring with you as people mentioned. Here is a website to take a look at some of the Moab trails:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php

I second the Fins-N-Things trail. Prolly the best trail to cut your teeth on slick rock. Test yourself on it. You will be amazed at how sticky it is the first time out. You can climb walls. Start out with Baby Lions back near the entrance. Also, there is a steep climb on Fins, I can't recall the name. It will look impossible your first time on slick rock but give it a go, you may be surprised.

Kennys Climb, towards the end of the trail. Man all this talk boys just makes me wanna go back real soon

Kennys Climb, towards the end of the trail. Man all this talk boys just makes me wanna go back real soon

Thats the one! It really isn't bad but if it is your first trail there it will seem pretty steep and was one of the first places I learned you just have to "trust" the rock. Google it and keep an eye out for it on the trail (it is optional) and easy to miss if I remember right

ujehagev.jpg
I have a vid of my friend driving my XJ up it. Like you say, trust the rock

this thread brings back some great memories! my first trip to Moab was for the 20th anniversary, cant believe it's been 10 years.
i've been out of circulation for a few years with a new house, new wife and a new baby, but i still read my Charles Wells book in the "reading room" once a week. it will probably be another 5 years before i get a wheelable rig and make the trip out there.
my biggest suggestion to a noob... dont be afraid of trail difficulty levels. listen to the guys who have been there before and ask them if your rig is capable. the first day will teach you the meaning of "pucker-factor" but by the end of your 2nd trail you will have a good feel for your rig on the new terrain and you will already be planning your return trip.
my favorite trails are the longer back-country trips that show you every kind of terrain out there, personal favorite... onion creek to rose garden hill and back around to top of the world and a final stop at dewey bridge.
i hope every one has a great time, and i cant wait to get back on the trails again.

I also have never been. Looking forward to it. As it will be 30/30 for me, for those than have not read in the other thread.

this thread brings back some great memories! my first trip to Moab was for the 20th anniversary, cant believe it's been 10 years.
i've been out of circulation for a few years with a new house, new wife and a new baby, but i still read my Charles Wells book in the "reading room" once a week. it will probably be another 5 years before i get a wheelable rig and make the trip out there.
my biggest suggestion to a noob... dont be afraid of trail difficulty levels. listen to the guys who have been there before and ask them if your rig is capable. the first day will teach you the meaning of "pucker-factor" but by the end of your 2nd trail you will have a good feel for your rig on the new terrain and you will already be planning your return trip.
my favorite trails are the longer back-country trips that show you every kind of terrain out there, personal favorite... onion creek to rose garden hill and back around to top of the world and a final stop at dewey bridge.
i hope every one has a great time, and i cant wait to get back on the trails again.

Thanks for the advice. For what it is, my Jeep is really capable. Over the last few years I've put thousands of miles on my jeeps going all over Indiana and KY to wheel it. Our terrain here is a much different thing than Moab. I've been near plenty of precarious ledges but usually there are trees there to stop me should something go wrong, not the case out there. I'm sure i'll find a whole new meaning to pucker factor in Moab. Either way I am super excited for this trip!

Talking like that he's going to poke out his right quarter window on Escalator.

I'll bring some plastic to cover where the windows used to be! :doh:

Back