• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do on a Tuesday...

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
Take the day off work and spend the day brewing beer.... Our local brewpub has a set up where you can come in use their equipment and brew your own beer. Me and two buddies decided to give it a go..

hot Damn!

Set up to brew a 60min IPA which took about 4 hours to make the wort and is now fermenting for two weeks... Then I second fermentation and more hops then couple of weeks before we bottle... I cannot wait.

Brewing and drinking many o beer, not bad for a Tuesday afternoon...

needless to say I didn't get much done on the jeep today.

sweet.... our brewers here are allowed to have their own personal projects.. 60 and 120 minute IPA's are great, you gotta be ready for it though its not your average brew.

when your the largest operating microbrewery in the state and serving 5 70k a week restaurants there really isnt any brewing downtime... its a sweet setup we have though.
brew kettles
p_00034.jpg

vessels on the left are fermenting vessels while the vessels on the far right serve our most popular brews directly to the bar taps, in our smoky mountain brewery concept the most popular beers are never kegged and nothing has any preservatives in it
p_00033.jpg

NICE.. this was nothing to that scale, They have just three 40gal kettles steam heated and fermentation is in 20gal containers.

I really have been liking IPA's as of the last couple of years.

I have only had 1 120min IP before and that was Dogfish head, to tell the truth it was too much for me. I like hops but that was over the top. Their 60 and 90 I love.

The one we brewed today is very "piney" and crisp with a good amount of hops.
I don't remember the sytle of hops but we infused at the below times
1.5oz at 60 min Brand A
0.5oz at 30 min Brand B
1.0oz at 15 min Brand C
0.5oz at 15 min Brand A again
1.0oz at 0 min Brand A agian

Then at the second fermentation we will infuse one more time.

I drank a New Castle yesterday. (On Tuesday) The cool part was that it was already brewed!

Learning the brew process is really cool, most of the guys that work for our brewmaster have chemical engineering degrees or have apprenticed in the field for awhile, in fact one of my old employees transferred over and is learning to brew right now

sweet.... our brewers here are allowed to have their own personal projects.. 60 and 120 minute IPA's are great, you gotta be ready for it though its not your average brew.

when your the largest operating microbrewery in the state and serving 5 70k a week restaurants there really isnt any brewing downtime... its a sweet setup we have though.
brew kettles
p_00034.jpg

vessels on the left are fermenting vessels while the vessels on the far right serve our most popular brews directly to the bar taps, in our smoky mountain brewery concept the most popular beers are never kegged and nothing has any preservatives in it
p_00033.jpg

Been to the microbrewery/restaurant in Gatlinburg, live music, great beer, and some killer food... The beer pretzels... seriously the most addicting drunk food Ive ever eaten. Opening this thread reminded me, need to make a trip back asap.

Back