• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what temp do you all run at?

A higher or lower temp thermostat only changes when it opens to allow coolant to start flowing through the system. It is not going to make your engine run hotter or cooler.

The 4.0 is designed to run with a 195 degree thermostat. Using a cooler temp thermostat only delays the inevitable and it takes a little longer for the engine to reach the optimum operating temperature of 210 degrees.

:flame:

A needle width above 210 most of the time

beakie said:
for those of you running on the cooler side of 210... whats too cool?
my Celcius output gauge says normal is 100 (your 210... I can't convert but gauges are same just dif numbers)
but my needle is just 1/2 way too normal (if it were a fuel gauge 1/4 empty if that makes sense)... or just hovering over 40 on my 97 XJ Sport. I took out the A/C condersor in front of my rad, and new water pump last month, rad flush just before pump and new t-stat same time... it went from overheating on trail one day too only getting warm when in traffic on very hot day and even then its just warm not even normal.
So I wonder is this too cool, am I in the 'constant warm up' stage and getting worse milege than ever... or am I just lucky and this is ok.

Ya my XJ stays around 100 also, but will goto 120 intown with ac on.

I have a 165 thermo. in it now. when I had a 195 it always ran over 200. Although a thermo. does control when water flow from block to rad. happens it does have an overall effect on the eng temp.
I'll be replacing the 165 with a 195 but its all the store had when I got it. The infrared doesn't lie.

180-190 is where mine stays towing wheeling or whatever, I have the hood spaced in the rear and the aux fan set to come on with the ignition switch. But hey I live in the desert

a hair below 210 most of the time. when it is above 90 with the ac off it will run a hair above 210 while idling (stuck in traffic):thumbup:

Back