• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should i do? Motor problem

Bajaman83

NAXJA Forum User
PHP:
Ok so I bought a motor that was bad,got new head,but im about to do timing chain,new head is already on torqued and all,the pistons had numbers on them already,so that tells me its been worked on before.

My question now:

Should i take the head off and hone the cylinders and also do bottom end bearings? Or just change the timing chain?

I just want to get it in good running condition,im missing most events and meets cause my xj is down, i have a 96 with a 93 motor in it,i also have a 88 xj,should i just put all the 4x4 parts on the 88 since its 2wd? I don't know what to do,the 88 runs really good and gets great mpg compared to what i was getting before on the 96

It may not hurt to at least check the cylinders for a ridge at the top and decide based on what you find. Being able to hone the cylinders depends on what the cylinders and pistons mic out to. You can plasti-gage the bearings to see if they are within spec rather than just replacing them without knowing. 2wd to 4wd conversion is a bit more work then just sorting your engine out... I guess it just depends on what you'd rather do.

First motor I didn't really run any kind of test,after it was out i kept thinking about how loose the torque converter bolts were,but it was to late,i had already pulled it out when i started to think about probable cause of knocking noise,so i put the other motor in and just went ahead and started to drip oil thru dipstick,and dipstick was about 3 inches out every time i drove it,so i took head out and tested for cracks,it had a big crack between 3-4 cylinder

You had the head off once, how tall is the ring ridge? Also, what is the oil pressure after it is warmed up? Have you done a compression check since changing the head?

Back