• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what oil filter?

I use the oversized K & N 3001 and Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my ’91 4.0. The larger filter adds ½ quart of oil and the synthetic hasn’t “caused” any leaks.

Wiley Coyote said:
I use the oversized K & N 3001 and Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my ’91 4.0. The larger filter adds ½ quart of oil and the synthetic hasn’t “caused” any leaks.

Does that spin on the same threads and OEM mount ?

I may go this route next time.

bchulett said:
Does that spin on the same threads and OEM mount ?

I may go this route next time.
Yes. That's why I dug up a list of compatible filters...look a few posts above this.

Bchulett, Like Yucca-Man said, it goes right on the OEM threads. My ’91 is a Canadian model and may be slightly different than yours. My oil filter is on the passenger side and points straight up, but has the SAE threads. If yours points down (i.e. you have to unscrew it from underneath the Jeep) or is mounted horizontally the oversized filter may not fit (it’ll be pretty tight with out hitting the starter). When you ask the guy at the counter for an oversized filter for your Cherokee its probably going to confuse him, so just ask for a filter for a 80s Ford F150 with a 5.0L (it’ll have K&N H-3001 and all of the other filters listed as well).

Wiley Coyote said:
My ’91 is a Canadian model and may be slightly different than yours. My oil filter is on the passenger side and points straight up, but has the SAE threads. If yours points down (i.e. you have to unscrew it from underneath the Jeep) or is mounted horizontally the oversized filter may not fit (it’ll be pretty tight with out hitting the starter).
Actually, mine is mounted horizontally to the rear, and clears just fine. I have to disconnect the oil pressure sender but once the filter is out I just tip it up and pull it out through the gap above the filter. The large filter is the same diameter as the OEM one, so there's not a clearance problem there.

Wiley Coyote said:
Bchulett, Like Yucca-Man said, it goes right on the OEM threads. My ’91 is a Canadian model and may be slightly different than yours. My oil filter is on the passenger side and points straight up, but has the SAE threads. If yours points down (i.e. you have to unscrew it from underneath the Jeep) or is mounted horizontally the oversized filter may not fit (it’ll be pretty tight with out hitting the starter). When you ask the guy at the counter for an oversized filter for your Cherokee its probably going to confuse him, so just ask for a filter for a 80s Ford F150 with a 5.0L (it’ll have K&N H-3001 and all of the other filters listed as well).

My XJ is also a '91 HO... and the can points up. I thought I read somewhere on this site and in a write-up, the OEM mount was metric... and you had to convert it to a SAE mount. Thats why I asked what seemed to be a stupid question at the time.

Please clarify ...

Thanks guys.

my jeep is a '92 and has the 3/4 x 16 threads. there is a big warning sticker in the engine bay "caution: new oil filter size use pn 5281090 or eqivalent." that makes me think the new filter started in my year. not sure if that is 16mms or 16 threads per inch but i think it is the latter and my jeep uses sae threads.

Wiley Coyote said:

PapaPump said:
my jeep is a '92 and has the 3/4 x 16 threads. there is a big warning sticker in the engine bay "caution: new oil filter size use pn 5281090 or eqivalent." that makes me think the new filter started in my year. not sure if that is 16mms or 16 threads per inch but i think it is the latter and my jeep uses sae threads.

Thought I'd bring this back up for clariity on specs.

I found that my '91 4.0LHO also has 3/4" threads .... which is compatible with K&N's replacement filter PN 2004---which is also specified for all XJ's '91 and up with the 4.0L motor.

So I decided to call K&N yesterday to verify if the larger K&N 3001 would fit on my '91 XJ. Glad I did, because the K&N rep said PN 3001 has 13/16" threads with an entirely different pitch than PN 2004---and will NOT fit.

So much for that idea.

You guys missed the best filter out there. The Frantz toilet paper oil filter. Costs me 18 cents an oil change and I will put its filtering capability up against any other filter.

This is not a joke.

http://www.wefilterit.com/

I've been running them on various vehicles for over 40 years.

I wondered how long it would take to Tom to chime in with that TP filter...it's also handy for starting campfires in wet wood! :D It seems to be a very simple, functional add-on but maybe it's just because we've all been so conditioned to the 'normal' way of doing things that a drastic change like the TP filter seems dangerous. I watched him do an oil change one night; it took about five minutes, and part of that was because I kept getting in the way... When he was done, there was an oil-soaked roll of TP and a few dozen sheets taken off the new 'filter' to get it to fit in the can.

I tell you it works wonders for hemorroids.:laugh3:

The cheapest non scented single ply paper works the best.

That is cool. I'd heard of that before but never saw one. It looks like you have to drill and tap in a connection to the oil pan? How hard was that to do?

Back