• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What locker to use???

I have the Aussie's F&R in my 30/8.8 and I DD it all over the east coast and wheel it at least once a month. The aussie is perfect for a DD, it makes only the slightest ratcheting noise on extreme tight turns and the rest of the time I usually forget it's there. Proper installation and a fresh axle (good bearings,seals and quality fluids) should help with excessive noise. I have no complaints. The aussie's have been an awesome upgrade and have provided no questions asked traction on and off road in my rig for a year or two now. I'd say go for it.

Does one have any advantages on ice/snow over another?

I just bought a complete and barely used No-Slip for the Chrysler 8.25" through a local classified for $5. The guy obviously had money and just wanted to "get rid of stuff". He bought it used for his Liberty but was turned off by what he read regarding road manners of a locker:

DSC03249.JPG

Last edited:
You can remove the Lockright from your choices as it's only available with the 27 spline 8.25. Yours is a 29 spline, unless you have swapped rears with an older XJ. The No-slip is the only offering from Richmond Gear (formerly Powertrax) for the 8.25". For the price difference and good reviews of the Aussie...I say go Aussie.

Here's another vote for the Aussie. I had a Detroit EZ locker in my D35, and it grenaded itself within 6 months (with 3.07's and 31's, at that....).

I just bought a complete and barely used No-Slip for the Chrysler 8.25" through a local classified for $5. for his Liberty but was turned off by what he read regarding road manners of a locker:
Great score!
I bought mine used from another NAXJA member. The PowerTrax for the 8.25 is made in both 27 and 29 spline. Count before you install, change was made sometime in 1996. FYI, you might want to install new springs while you're at it.

The spartan is cheaper, and comes with a new cross shaft. But why is the warranty limited to 32" tires and one year? This made the Aussie worth it to me, to spend the $30 more, and have a 2yr warranty period. However, I am waiting for the UPS man at the moment for mine to arrive. So I guess that my opinion pretty useless. :gee:

Where did you find this warranty info on this? I contacted a NAXJA sponsor about the Aussie locker and he reffered me to the Spartan. (He doesn't carry Aussie)

I have a lockrite in the front diff. Mostly I don't notice it's there except when making really tight turns on pavement, then it clanks and bangs and sounds a lot like something is broken. But I don't drive it in the winter, the one time I did I had to drive like a grandma to be able to steer.

I have an e-locker in the rear, so I can't really speak to something else. Sometimes I do wish they were swapped around the other way (e-locker in front). Considering that the auto locker is IMO unobtrusive in the front, I think it would be almost unnoticeable in the rear, especially with the music turned up.

Oh yeah, the other time I notice it's there is when I get one of the front wheels off the ground and the other one still has traction.

Last edited:
What am I, the only Spartan user on the forum? I declare myself King of the Spartans! I've got 4 big wheeling events in June, so I'll come back and post a report. Hopefully it won't grenade.

What am I, the only Spartan user on the forum? I declare myself King of the Spartans! I've got 4 big wheeling events in June, so I'll come back and post a report. Hopefully it won't grenade.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
What size tires you running with it? The recomended 32"? I need to do axle tube seals and was gonna throw a locker in while it was apart.

Last edited:

I AAAAMMM SPARTA!!

op, i run an aussie, no complaints does what i need it to do

now give me my damn nickel

Where did you find this warranty info on this? I contacted a NAXJA sponsor about the Aussie locker and he reffered me to the Spartan. (He doesn't carry Aussie)

from Randys: Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32".
Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8125

Not saying anything good or bad about the spartan, as I havent run it, but try to stay away from breaking the warranty rules right off the bat (I run 33's)

I do like the looks of the assembly technique for the spartan though, those little wires are a neat idea.

from Randys: Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32".
Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8125

Not saying anything good or bad about the spartan, as I havent run it, but try to stay away from breaking the warranty rules right off the bat (I run 33's)

I do like the looks of the assembly technique for the spartan though, those little wires are a neat idea.

I've been running a Spartan up front for a couple months (about 6 serious wheeling trips) with 33x10.5s and have had no problems whatsoever. The install was super easy too. I expect a shaft to go before the locker...

I've been running a Spartan up front for a couple months (about 6 serious wheeling trips) with 33x10.5s and have had no problems whatsoever. The install was super easy too. I expect a shaft to go before the locker...

All this Spartan talk has got me worried. I'm running 33x10x50's also, and was not aware of the 32" limit. Serves me right for not checking up on that detail when I had the shop install it during the 4.56 gear swap. Maybe I should have gone with the Aussie after all. Time will tell....

All this Spartan talk has got me worried. I'm running 33x10x50's also, and was not aware of the 32" limit. Serves me right for not checking up on that detail when I had the shop install it during the 4.56 gear swap. Maybe I should have gone with the Aussie after all. Time will tell....

you better hope nothing happens to it! we have lots of wheeling to do this summer

(and it will make your son one up on you! if it grenades)

i've got front and rear aussies and they are both very smooth. i've got a 5 speed and even the rear is very manageable. i can be in the middle of a curve and punch it without really noticing it. at slow speeds and cornering it is more noticeable but with a bit of brain power, it is still very smooth. as to the post about it being loud and harsh, maybe the tolerances are too tight. i can hardly hear either one and they don't bang and "explode" it's not a dd but i'd do it again. off road improvement is unmatched by any other upgrade i think...

Back