• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
I was wondering what kind of mialage everyone was getting in their jeeps with your modifications eg. lift, tires, gears, engine, etc. Right now i am getting about 11 mpg on 32x11.50 ATs with a 4.5" lift and stock gears (ya I know but I'm a poor college student).

I just moved up to 31s and noticed a drop......I used to get around 17 mpg and now Im down to about 14-15. That sucks as I am also a poor college student, but the difference off-road definatly makes up for it. :wierd:

By my stock overhead computer thingy, my '01 limited running 225/70/16's would see over 20mpg on the highway, I think I actually saw 22 at one time.
Now, running 255/70/16's (about 30x10.00) It won't do better than 17mpg on the highway. At this point, I think my speedo is MORE accurate than stock, so I'm thinking my mpg is NOW MORE ACCURATE too?? It's usually showing around 13-15 round town.

Last time I calculated it, I was seeing somewhere near 19mpg and 85% of my driving is expressway. I'm stock other than some 235/75/15 Goodyear MT tires.

so far my mpg has been very bad just started driving my 93 xj everyday i dont drive it that much but i seem to be filling it up all the time. could a tune help me? to my knowledge its completly stock.

i get about 16-17 out of both of my rigs on the road.. the 99 on 30s and the 87 on 33s, 4.56s and the spare on the roof both run about even... and that is run off my GPS odometer... but when i get the trail rig out to play it drops WAY down... the 99 is driven with an admitted heavy foot though...

try a search on this topic and you will have several of this same topic come up...

i get around 14-17 depending on how im driving, 17 is on the interstate. im stock cept for 30x9.5's

I get about 19 in the city with my '96 and 25 on the highway. :D I drive like a teenager too... :shhh:

I get around 10-14 with 4.0,aw4,231 with 35's and 4.56 I also have a k&N fipk, t.b. spacer with gutted cat. and flowmaster 40 series

I have a 97 3.5 RE lift, 32" GY MTR's, stock 3.55 gears, and 83,000 miles, roof rack with tire up top, hi-lift up top, and 4 big 6" lights on front of rack, I am only getting 13.8 to 14.2, that is not really "highway" or "in town" driving, lots of backroad with misc. stops every few miles. I was getting 16+ with the EXACT same setup, minus roof rack, and tire in back, no lights.

I need a tune up, and worse I need some gears....

but the next purchase is for sure some rock sliders.

My '87 Laredo 4.0 gets about 17-18mpg. It is currently stock, but will change shortly.

We just took our '96 Sport 4.0 2wd on a camping trip over to the Green Mountains near Ripton, VT. Taking mostly back roads and state hi-ways, we were getting about 24 mpg.

-Copperhead

EDIT: Oops, I just remembered that this was on the modified forum. Well, at least I have a baseline for after the modifications to the 87.

Last edited:
My 91 4.0 with 3" and 30x9.5's gets between 18-20. I have the aw4, stock gears, K&N filter, AirAid TBS, and a highflow exhaust. Besides running a little lean and warm, get's it down the road and trail pretty darn well.

dang ya'll - I got a 3 in and 31's, and mine sucks. I get around 10-11mpg!! and that is expensive!!! A fill up only lasts me a couple days. I must have something wrong.???

My experience with my 98 sport was that with 30x9.50x15 BFG AT my speedo was dead on. This leads me to believe that the factory sets the speedo to read faster than actual speed on the 225 stock tires. This means that the numbers that people with stock tires could be artificially high. I know that I have a lot of performance upgrades: (MSD Ignition+coil+8MM wires, 2.5"cat back exhaust(sp?), flowmaster 40 muffler) and still only get 13mpg city and 16-17mpg highway (no hills). I'm running 31x10.50x15 Kumho MTs and 3.55 gears (auto tranny) and corrected speedo (32 tooth speedo gear).

Later,
Rough

On the high with cruise control set between 70 and 75 MPH, I get 22 MPG's

Back