• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of "deals" did you get for your XJ?

Oops!

I also forgot one of the major problems that might've turned off other buyers. The Jeep had been broken into and the thieves tore the dash up some. The interior had been partially stripped, was filthy, and the hood latches were missing. I've since repaired and replaced pretty much everything... Here's a couple of shots before and after.

DashBefore.jpg

Closedash.jpg

Lots of elbow grease, and parts from old wrecks...

:)

99 Sport 4wd D30/C8.25 I6 w/ NV242, $5000, with 56,000 on it, bought in '03. put new tires on it and its been runnin strong since, did the brakes last year and she is running strong as the day I got her, now has 116,000 on it.

Definitely great work. Wouldn't have known that was the same XJ. Though, I do like how your gas gauge is in almost the same position in both the before and after pics....

Gettin some great gas-mileage with that rebuilt dash, eh?

Mine was a '94 Country, with 86k, 4.0/AW4/SelecTrac, very clean inside, with new brakes, tires, wheels, and exhaust from manifold back. Was a Detroit car before me, so had to do the floorboard rebuild and reweld the driver's door, and added another fan cover - whoever changed the belt before me cut the housing instead of removing it. Other than that, it's a sweet ride...I love the looks when people see me going right through the snow and ice here when they're stuck or sliding off the road in front of me. Makes it almost worth the $4300 I paid. Hell, camping and actually being able to wheel to my campsite (a good sized hike) and hauling my gear instead of packing all of it....definitely makes it worth it.

Last edited:
98' 4.0 AW4 231 8.25 3" lift 31's mags sunroof 98k....and the guy paid me to drive it away! JK lol $4300.00 So it seemed like a deal a year ago. The best deal I've gotten so far is a 231 SYE TERALOW 2LO Front and Rear CV shafts all for $500 baby...

Before pictures...looks better now

IMG_0669.jpg

Last edited:
97 SE 2 Door 4X4 4.0 AW4 231 -- Had been looking for a project and this one came along, I couldn't pass it up. Only had 56k miles and was very well cared for. All for only $3500!:)

Blaine B. said:
So are all of the other gauges.

Right, because they're at the resting/idle gauge point when the vehicle is off. The gas gauge would be the only one to show any difference, regardless of ignition or not, due to the last level the sending unit placed when the vehicle was turned off.

Just tryin to make a little joke....:dunno:

92, Auto, 4-dr, power seats, windows, cruise, part time 4-WD. 123,000

$0...........i.e. Free

A friend who runs a wrecker picked it up and obtained title after owner did not respond to the legal process. It had been wrecked in the front left, which involved the fender, bumper, headlight buckets, but no frame damage.
He signed the title over to me as a return favor. I scavanged parts at wrecker yards, welded the door hinges. Replaced the fender, built a bumper and put it on my deer lease....but it runs too well to leave it there, so it serves as a part time driver and part time mud buggy. Last improvements was to lift the suspension by 2" all around. Thanks to help I received here, it has been painless!!! My third Cherokee.....previous 84 and 87. All 4-WD. Whats not to like???

I found mine on a local Jeep board. Paid $750 for it, 165k(Engine had just been rebuilt) 4.0 AW4, 231, D-35 rear. Needed some front repairs from a crash the son of the lady I bought it from had. Looked like poo before, actually looks good now. I use it as a DD, VFD response vehicle and soon to be offroad machine. I now have 211k on it, put new BFG AT's-235/75/15s, a couple of T-stats, new battery since it didn't come with one, motor mounts, tranny mount, and rebuild the t-case with a 40k TJ 231, I haven't had to fix or repair anything else. I did have to scavange some yards and pick over some other XJs to get the needed parts for fixing mine. Runs great, although I figgered the fuel mileage would be a little better than mine. I will be looking for a later model to eventually do the same with, although I haven't been able to find the price being right($500 XJ's are great if you know what you are doing). The A/C is the only thing not working on mine, since I stripped the compressor threads installing the condensor lines after I did all my repair work on the thing. Would have to say it is one of the cheapest, yet versatle 4X4's I have owned, but still won't out do my Scouts. Has great torque and other than a Ramcharger I paid $250 for, has been one of the cheapest to own-including the actual paid for price. I have owned it since July 4 2004 and like I have said I have been able to go just about anywhere I want with it. I will post before and after pics once I get them loaded-in another post on this thread.

Jeff

Last edited:
1987 Pioneer bought new 2wd 4.0 auto $15000
1992 Base bought new 4cylinder 5spd 4wd $14,500 (the funest one I've owned)
1999 Limited bought new 2wd $18,500
1987 Laredo 4.0 auto 4wd $1,200 (missed haven 4wd)

Bought an 88 Limited for the garage bill of the previous owner. Him and a local Jeep dealer gave up on it, as a lost cause.
I probably could have bought a nice 93 or 94 for the same money and time I sank into my 88, but it was stubborness and the challenge, that made me do it. It had fairly low mileage but was neglected and hard used.
I've been driving it for about five years now. I've probably got $2500 in it, with the purchase price and parts. My man hours (paid), would probably double that.
I wouldn't call it a good deal, but heck spending my disposable income and time on the XJ keeps me out of the local bar.:cheers:

I got my 89 xj with 120000 for 750
super d30 ARB kit for 500
super 35 axle ARB for 500
all lift parts including shocks for 400
34" SSR's and wheels for trade
RE hack and tap sye for free

94 XJ Sport 4.0 HO, 5 speed stick, Command-Trac, very clean interior, 2 sets of wheels and tires (full winters on black steelies, street tires on original rims), small bit of rust underneath, fixed already, 120,000 miles all for the low low price of $3500 Canadian.

my 92 I bought off a lot MANY years ago. I paid way to much for it but was fair market back then. $10,000. It was completly stock whenI got ahold of it. For it's hay day was top of the line just without leather (thank god). I have sunk a ton of cash into this thing and consider it one of my children!

Back