• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is your local gas price?

1.35 here in North GA.

On the subject of gas prices,and everyone complaining about it,can you imagine if gas prices had inflated as much as bread,milk,or even cigarettes?!?!? :wow: Hell,gas would be around $5-$6 a gallon!! We should just consider ourselves lucky that we don't live across the pond in "jolly ol' England" where it DOES cost that much. :D

well but... it's no comparison..... look at the distances traveled here, look at the low quality of public transporation (at least in SoCal) and it's not even a close comparison. I drive in a month more then most people here, but even an average "joe" puts way more miles on his vehicle (thus has to buy more gas) then an average limey :) :) Thus even though their cost of gas is greater it has a smaller impact. Plus, I don't know what it is about European cars, but they have waaaaaaaaaaay better mileage then they do here in US. And believe me, I know from personal experience being brought up in Europe :) :)

Kejtar

Georgia Mike said:
1.35 here in North GA.

On the subject of gas prices,and everyone complaining about it,can you imagine if gas prices had inflated as much as bread,milk,or even cigarettes?!?!? :wow: Hell,gas would be around $5-$6 a gallon!! We should just consider ourselves lucky that we don't live across the pond in "jolly ol' England" where it DOES cost that much. :D

Hmm, not a fair comparison IMHO. See, you might be thinking of the fuel prices in Europe when you where either stationed there, or where a tourist. Right?

I was stationed in Europe... and we got Gas Ration cards... we could get it at a reduced rate. Then I was there as a civilian for a number of years... no gas cards. Full price. The difference is... I made much more money, so the increased fuel cost was not a big deal. Besides... the have public transportation over there that can pretty effectively take you anywhere ya want to go.... and at a reasonable cost.

We have no such system in this country. Not inexpensive, no urban/rural transportation systems... and unlike Europe... ya damn sure cannot set your watch by posted transportation system schedules. I have to respect Europe for that... if it is supposed to leave at 0305hrs.... the damned thing leaves at 0305hrs... regardless if your arm is stuck in the door. :)

lol... yup, I could set my watch by either tram or bus! Oh... and don't even get me started on the electric rail (the loacal lines). THose things seemed to run with down to 10 second precision :) :). I kind of miss that here. As well as great train transportation throughout Europe and Asia. I have friends that have traveled all the way from spain to china on a train (although once you cross into the old USSR things get a bit more complicated... different track sizes and such as well as not as accurate once you leave Europe... but still available though)

Kejtar

I paid $1.49+ yesterday and $1.39+ today for 87 octane. It fluctuates dramatically from station to station though.

1.47$ here, down from 1.53 where it had been hovering for weeks. Hopefully it will continue to fall. The lowest I can remeber was $.88 three years ago in the middle of the summer. Wish I'd have stocked up then :laugh3:

Ary

5-90 said:
Hovering in the 1.999-2.099 range in the South Bay (can someone tell me where the Hell the .9 cents comes from? Sounds like another screwjob to me - I don't carry around tenths of a penny, and I'd like to see the penny go away...)

Anyone give prices in Flagstaff? MistWolf - how about Grand Canyon?

5-90

Check out what I said at top of second page.

That's not really the point I was stressing...

My VALID point is that along with inflation,gas prices had stayed pretty much the same up until a few years ago since the early 80's. In the early 80's,IIRC,ciggarettes were around $1.00-$1.25/pack,bread was $1.00/loaf,and milk was around $1.75/gallon,and gas was around $0.89-$1.19/gallon depending on the time of year. Now,ciggarettes are fastly aproaching $4.00/pack,bread is $2.00-$3.00/loaf,and milk is $3.50/gallon,and gas is STILL well below $2.00/gallon in most places. You do the math. Before,it would take me about $16.00-$17.00 to fill up,now it costs $20.00-$21.00 to fill up. WOO-HOO call the papers! It cost me a WHOPPING $4.00 more to fill my tank!! I'm gonna go broke!! (I'm being sarcastic,NOT being a smart-arse) The point is,and I'm NOT trying to brag because I'm sure that a lot of you guys make way more than I do,but come on! I'll make $4.00 in less than 15 minutes at work,so it's just not worth it to me to get stressed out over :dunno:.

Not arguing here,just getting my point across :)

Georgia Mike said:
Now,ciggarettes are fastly aproaching $4.00/pack

Yeah Mike....brag it up Georgia boy! $4/pack is the cheapest you'll find here, genearlly 4.25 - 4.50!

One of the annoyances of sin taxes!

LOL local taxes = Reigonal Warfare Instigation...or interstate commerce?

Gas down here is about $1.47(reg)and I spied Marboro's his morning in Troy NC for @20.49+tax(which is way cheap for the moment)

When I got GI prices on rolls of Copenhagen dip, I had a great hookup on reloaded .44 Mag and .44Spc rounds...once a month send off a couple-few rolls and my empty brass, then receive returned handloaded 200gr JHPs that kept the Redhawk hot & bothered.

Too much a shame if folks couldn't arrange some backchannel deals to benefit the left-coast or NE oppressed by taxation ones...

Not that smoking or dipping is good for ya, but if one is disposessed that way...better to do all that cheaply eh?

I am in disagreement with what my state taxes are spent on, & be glad to spend extra effort to spend my $$$ for day to day BS in another state if I get beat up less there.

Didn't we scalp & tar-feather MFs over taxation awhile ago? Oops that was over taxation w/o representation... think about that next election...

GSequoia said:
Yeah Mike....brag it up Georgia boy! $4/pack is the cheapest you'll find here, genearlly 4.25 - 4.50!

One of the annoyances of sin taxes!

Ahhh......one of the many benifits of kicking the habit! I'll still have one now and then,but nothing like it was before @ a pack a day :)
:party:

Well.. couple things to keep in mind: After talking to my buddy's dad who is a chemical engineer and did his PHD on processing of oil crude into useable products, the process is getting not only cleaner but way more efficient. I don't recall the numbers, but I think that there is something along the lines of tripling the recovered goods now in comparison to then... so yeah... the prices should go lower or stay the same. On top of everything there is less people involved in the process now, there is more machines (No life insurance what have you) as well as cost for searching for oil has significantly gone down (ok, maybe more accurately cost of searching to find ratio has down)

So what pisses me of is the BS that gets the price to fluctuate like it does. If it's worth it to them to sell gas at $1.50 in one major metropolitan area, then why is it that they seem to feel the need to charge $2.20 in another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cost of shipping is almost identical, and taxes have really a little impact in whole spec of things...

Kejtar

That gas thing is a pain, I've thought of it myself. And Remi, I beleive it was in 1998 that gas here in Southern California hit $0.87/gallon (87 Octane from Arco), I didn't get my old Courier running 'til then, and I remember filling it's 20 gallon tank with it. (ahh, to have a four cylindar car again, was so nice and fuel efficient at 7 miles to the gallon..yes..SEVEN..man that truck was a POS!)

Hmm-
Smokes go for about $5 per pack here in the People's Paradise, fuel hovers around $2/gallon, and scuttlebutt has it they're trying to resurrect the CA ammo tax agin - and kike it from a possible $.05/round to $.10/round - just think of adding $50 (!) to the sticker of a brick of your favourite 22's... Yes, this is supposed to also extend to components as well, so I would think I'd be picking up more stock in AZ or NV before long, or just pay for an ORM-D permit for my granddad for large shipments...

As far as inflation goes, gasoline has efefctively increased in price - by remaining static in price against the devaluation of the dollar due to inflation. Therefore, it's been going up slowly but you never really noticed because the number you see NEVER jumped until recently. If you think I'm talking thru my arse on this, I highly suggest looking up the costs of staple goods, housing, &c; starting sometime around 1928, and notice both the jump around FDR's "Bank Holiday" (when private ownership of Gold was temporarily made illegal, and the specie in the United States was no longer the anchor for the dollar) and the second jump around 1980-1985 (IIRC) when offshore manufacturing became really popular in the US - especially regarding consumer goods and typical electronics. Figure most of the internals inside your computers were made in Taiwan, Korea, or somewhere else on the Eastern Pacific Rim, and computers and electronics are the most pervasive consumer good going. Flip over your CD player and tell me I'm wrong.

Not all inflation is readily visible...

5-90

Back