• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this thing under my XJ?

Sorry for hijackin yer thread, but I don't think it deserves a thread of its own so I might as well post it here.

What is this thingie? The throttle cable and a vacuum line? Or electrical wires goes into it.
throttlethingiebx2.jpg

Thanks.

If it is infront of the rear axle bolted to the floor it's what Ivan said, it's the fuel emissions recovery tank or charcoal cannister.

I just re-installed my gas tank and put in a new fuel filter, I had to drop the tank to repair rust in the floor of my XJ.

On my '95 XJ, the fuel filter is in the exact spot described, the fuel pump is in the tank, and the wiring for the fuel pump and fuel level sender run out of the tank and along the fuel line, side-by-side, all the way to the fuel filter. Obvisouly the fuel line goes into the fuel filter, the wiring snakes over the filter and goes to a rubber plug into the body (just above the filter and the view of it blocked by the filter) and joins the wire harness inside the XJ.

So they are two different things, (the fuel filter and wiring for the pump/sender), just so close together it can fool you into thinking they are the same.

Even if your older XJ was carburated, with the fuel pump on the motor (some old carb motors still had electric pumps in the tank) the wiring for the fuel level sensor would likely run the same route.

Last edited:
Rick Anderson said:
I just re-installed my gas tank and put in a new fuel filter, I had to drop the tank to repair rust in the floor of my XJ.

On my '95 XJ, the fuel filter is in the exact spot described, the fuel pump is in the tank, and the wiring for the fuel pump and fuel level sender run out of the tank and along the fuel line, side-by-side, all the way to the fuel filter. Obvisouly the fuel line goes into the fuel filter, the wiring snakes over the filter and goes to a rubber plug into the body (just above the filter and the view of it blocked by the filter) and joins the wire harness inside the XJ.

So they are two different things, (the fuel filter and wiring for the pump/sender), just so close together it can fool you into thinking they are the same.

Even if your older XJ was carburated, with the fuel pump on the motor (some old carb motors still had electric pumps in the tank) the wiring for the fuel level sensor would likely run the same route.

that is awesome info, but is it the same for the model year 1998?

Cipey said:
that is awesome info, but is it the same for the model year 1998?
DOH!, I read '1988, I went back, you did say 1998.

The '97-'01 were a new generation of XJ, but they were still basically the same. I'd think it would still be the same.

Just get under there and look again, with the info I just gave you, you should be able to figure out if the wires actually split off from the fuel line and snake over the fuel filter and go into the body above the fuel filter, thru a plug. Just look closer and figure out if the wires actually attach to the black item or if they are just very close to it and fool you into thinking they go to the item.

EVAP Canister.
Same as my 01. (box at the top of pic.)

barconnect.jpg

Back