• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this on the roof inside?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, been meaning to ask this for a couple weeks. I have this thing on the roof inside my 89 Cherokee Limited, and I have no idea what its for. Is it some sort of overhead console showing direction and outside temperature? Thats the only thing I've been able to think of so far.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, haven't been able to use my regular camera.
0620091853.jpg

its the camera hidden in there watching all your bad driving

Wireless receiver for your doors to lock/unlock. It's infrared IIRC, and hardly work worth a darn especially since many older rigs lock/unlock feature doesn't even work for all the doors. I have it in mine, but when I bought my Jeep the remote didn't come with, so when I found one in a junk yard with the receiver and remote I grabbed both, installed them in my rig...and it never even worked.

~Scott

Last edited:
I don't know, but it could be related to the early remote unlock system that is infrared?

Ah ok, that makes sense. I don't have the remotes either, and I'm planning on a much better keyless entry system in the near future. Is there a fairly simple way to remove it so I can use that space up there for something else?

Ah ok, that makes sense. I don't have the remotes either, and I'm planning on a much better keyless entry system in the near future. Is there a fairly simple way to remove it so I can use that space up there for something else?

Sure. Take the visor clips off and the remote cover slides off. Remove the connector and shove up in the headliner. Cover with whatever.

The wires for the lock/unlock relays are under the pass side kick panel. If you get an aftermarket keyless entry, that's where you tie them in. The tan and green wires with the wire nuts above the relays are the wires from the sensor.

rskickpanel_0127Small.jpg

Nonetheless, it's still the IR receiver for the factory keyless entry.

Nonetheless, it's still the IR receiver for the factory keyless entry.

Exactly, regardless of whether you've seen it or not...it's a fact it's the sensor for the wireless remote. I confirmed this with my FSM.

~Scott

Exactly, regardless of whether you've seen it or not...it's a fact it's the sensor for the wireless remote. I confirmed this with my FSM.

~Scott

Thats just special then!

fyi some people have mounted their CB radios up their in that spot since their is power available right at the plug to the ir receiver

Back