• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears work well with 34's

ArcticXJ said:
The 8.25" is in the ballpark of a 44, IMO. The only signifacant differance is the fact that the ring gear on the 44 is 8.5". A quater inch isnt a wild difference. Its also a 30 spline, whereas the 8.25" is available with 29. The 44 shaft diameter is 1.31", while the 8.25's shaft diameter is 1.21". So 1/10" of an inch.

Just of note the 8.25 is also the same axle used behind the mustang gt and cobra 5.0's along with the Durango RT's 5.9L 360. :)
You sure the Chrysler 8.25 was used in Fords? I'm very skeptical.

my friends has a 8.8 in it, although its not hte gt. its the lesser splined of the 8.8 whatever that is. i would assume the gt would have the same or perhaps the 31(?) spline one

BrettM said:
You sure the Chrysler 8.25 was used in Fords? I'm very skeptical.
LOL!!! Ooops. Brain fart... I know why I typed the mustang thing. :) I was on a mustang board in a different window arguing over the strength of the 8.8 at the same time I was defending the 8.25 on this board. D'oh! Sorry bout that... and good catch. :thumbup:

i am pretty sure you have 3.55's eric but whatever, 3.73's were only availble with the tow package it thought. not to hijack but say i found an 88 xj with 4.0, aw4, and 242 with a rear d44, if it's got the tow pakage it will have 3.73's right? The other point i wanted to bring up is that with the amount of miles you seem to drive, (waltham just for fun?) are you sure that tsl's are your best option? what about different 33 (insert mud terrain of choice here) with some new rims so you dont rub. Steelies can be had for cheap so it's just another option. I just would hate to see you spend the coin on tsl's and wear them out real quick. like i have said before if you are even considering going up to 35's get em, gear it, get some wheels, a few sawzall blades and go nuts. To say it one more time, gear once and be done with it. let me know before yuo regear i would be interested to check out the prices.

Mike

BTW come get your doors

Ive got 4.56s with 33s and a 5 speed and its perfect so i would think that 4.88s would be a perfect match with 34s.

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I basically run the same set up you have and I run 4:56. Good all around ratio, but now that I have the 44 in the back I wish I would have gone 4:88 or 5:13. Mainly do to the fact I'm doing more rocks then I ever planned on doing. After your first good dent you swear you won't do them again, but it is like Sunflower seeds. If you start eating them you can't stop. So if you start rocks just try and armor up first. Make that ole 3200 lb XJ weigh 5000 lbs :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:
Oops this is last year. Sorry Man ! Shit maybe I started this thread:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Back