• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what else can I check

xjtrailrider said:
If I/we/he finds it there will be a write up, you can count on that. He worked on it this weekend but I've been out of town moving my kid to college.

I'd appreciate it if you keep my ID and send me a PM if there is a write up in the future in case I miss the post.
HT

The key cylinder mechanism is seperate from the actual electrical ignition switch. They are connected by a long peice of what looks like coat hanger wire down the length of the steering column and they mechanically interlock into the turn signal switch as well.

Definately sounds like a problem with the igntion switch, and possibly the wire/female conectors in the wiring harness that connect to the ign. switch. I have had to replace both of them on my 87 and 85, and twice in 2 years on my 87 due to poor quality aftermarket ign. switches.

Just because it tested OK while the gauges were working does not mean it is not the source of the problem (xjtrailrider).

From your slow movement of the key cylinder story I would bet it is the ignition switch going bad (howardusa). They are not the quality they use to be, and they are frequently overloaded electrically causing a slow gradual heat damage that takes them out as the plastic gets brittle and the copper contacts get loose. Mine showes up as ac blower electrical problems or starting problems. It may be that the newer, BUS/gauge style jeeps show up as a lost bus/gauge cluster first when their ignition switches start to go bad.

They are pitta to get to, but only cost about $20.

howardusa said:
Do you mean change the key cylinder and check the wires to it? (I'm mechanically challenged). That hasn't been tried yet. I've gotten varying opinions as to whether the key cylinder does or does not have anything to do with gauge failure. Some say yes others say no. It seems to depend on which mechanic you ask. I do know that occassionally slowly turning the key off and on will cause the gauges to work. Also on occasion if I tap the right turn signal the gauges will work. I'm willing to try anything to keep from selling the Jeep.
HT

Back